• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

psychoanalysis

Sorry if I've missed this in your books.  Often when people (actors, writers especially) say they don't want analysis, they say it'll take away their natural spontanaeity.  Just wondered what your thoughts were about psychoanalytic theory and food, if any. Melanie Klein made a great deal about feeding and I guess when you think about it Freud did too-what with his childhood phases.

[My reserve question was about making the perfect chip, french fry.  You say you had a special person in LH just making them.  How to make at home? ]

Hey, as long as yvonne is asking about perfect french fries, I want to piggyback her reserve question and ask about lotus root chips. What's the best way to do them? I've only just recently been thinking about the possibilities of deep fried lotus root, but am inexperienced when it comes to cooking in more than just a skiff of fat.

Okay, I admit it. I'm a deep-frying virgin.  :wow:

Miss J

Psychoanalysis and food? No opinion.

Fries?  GPOD '70 count potatoes. Cut on a baron--battonet cut. BLANCHE first in 300 degree oil. Lay out on towel on sheet pan to cool and drain..Finish in 375 degree oil. Toss imediately in regular table salt. Lotus root chips. No idea. Not my thing.

abourdain

Thank you for your reply.  However, I'm very dumb.  What are "GPOD '70 count potatoes"?  Also, I don't know what a baron is. (Google reveals a cooking appliance manufacturer. Is it a vegetable cutter?) And, third, what is battonet cut?

Oh, dear, and I do love my chips. (I agree, the double fry method is a must.)

I hope Bourdain or others can fill me in.