• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Remodeling the Perlow Kitchen

Jason Perlow

Rachel, glad things are looking up. Problems here have prevented me from being kitchenless for a couple more days, but I do want to thank you for your "dinner without a regular kitchen" suggestions. Diana (12) was home from school last Friday (parent-teacher conferences), and she got to work. She made a ton of chicken stock, 6 pasta casseroles, cooked beans and ground chuck so we can make chili in the crock pot, mini-pizza crusts, cookie dough. She was busy!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

What a great helper you have!

Pete said he should be all finished up today - mostly trim work. Yeah! Then the only things left will be replacing the outlets & light switches (I caused this delay by deciding to change from white to stainless steel after the backsplash tile was installed). Then painting, then it's really and truly done!

Jason posted about the dinner I made last night on page 51 of the Dinner thread.

fd1814b4.jpg

Pete, after finishing up most of our punch list...

Click for full size

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Rachel, congratulations. Enjoy your kitchen in good health. I had my cabinet maker here yesterday. Going over last minute details before we start.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

OK, OK, I've been getting requests for updates. Painters are finished in the kitchen, but one of the bedrooms had to be put on hold due to a leak in the roof that evidenced itself during all the recent rain. Anyway, back to the kitchen. The only things that are missing are the light switches/electrical sockets and their plates. There is a new design available from Lutron with not just stainless steel plates, but ss switches & sockets. There was a question about whether that is suitable/safe for use around a sink. Many calls back and forth between contractor/electrician and town electrical inspector. Verdict was that it wouldn't be against code. However, the questioning delayed ordering of these items. Also, the questioning led to my being nervous about getting this particular design. So, we're going with the stainless steel plates, but greyish plastic switches & sockets. These have been ordered and will be installed as soon as they get in. It's really just these small last punch list items, essentially the kitchen is finished - it is at least completely usable. Since the painting is done, I'll be unpacking all my stuff that's been stored in the garage all this time!

And, yeah, in five years we probably will be doing a bathroom. :raz:

Rachel,

You're the second person who has used the term "punch list" in front of me recently. Is that just another term for a check list? Or is it something else, some sort of contractor language that I need to be aware of when dealing with the guy working in my basement right now. :biggrin:

Mike

It means if they dont fix it, you get to punch them in the stomach for every item that isn't done...

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

The punch list is the final checklist of stuff you need them to do before you will get off their backs. It is commonly used term in new home construction and remodeling.

Regarding pictures, I am waiting for everything to be completed so I can unveil the kitchen in one fell swoop. :raz:

• 1 month later...

You have to be done by now...inquiring minds want pictures...

Does Jose get stuck to the versabond tile cement?

Does the Lutron sink meet code?

Will Pete by slobbered to death by two vicious dogs?

Tune in for an update! :biggrin:

• 4 months later...
Just to bring this thread back up in the list......I'm sure many people would like to see the finished result and hear any final comments you have now that the construction has been completed for a few months.

I'll take some pictures of the kitchen tomorrow after the cleaning ladies are done with it. The kitchen has a tendency to get messy (piled up dishes, etc) and we aren't exactly the most anal-retentively-spick-and-span couple, if you know what I mean.

wow.  that looks really nice.  what are the things behind the stove top?  those faucet looking thingies.  :unsure:

They are faucets for filling pots so that you don't have to struggle back and forth between sink and stove.

wow.  that looks really nice.  what are the things behind the stove top?  those faucet looking thingies.  :unsure:

They are faucets for filling pots so that you don't have to struggle back and forth between sink and stove.

i've never seen it in a kitchen in someone's home. nice.