• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turned 59 Today

viejomajadero

A few years back I had a heart attack while on a hike in Yosemite Nat Park.

That meant for me certain foods will be denied, except for today. Today I am on my annual cholesterol binge.

As I write this commentary I am leaving greasy fingerprints on my laptop keys. I do not care, I wait all year for this moment. This annual feast of my favorite forbidden fruit.

I just packed my wifes lunch for work. Read all my birthday cards accumulated throughout the week. Gave her a kiss and a have a good day. Waved as she went out the door. Then turned and ran to the Viking. Prepared my breakfast. I have to admit, no one does it better.

Lightly toasted on the outside Portugese roll, sliced open and steaming. Two fried eggs cooked just enough to solidify the white but not enough prevent, endless it seems, golden yellow yolk running with every bite. The eggs are place between layers of cooked through, brown on the middle and crispy on the edge --- Taylor Ham.

I place this masterpiece on my kitchen table. Coffee, fresh brewed at my side. It is one year ago today that I last had this beautiful sandwich before me. Gently I took my first bite and that explosion of yolk gushed forth -- not better than sex but close. Ok, I've come down from my high - enough to share this moment.

I am sated. But thinking about lunch -- I think fried chicken from my local Pathmark. I really wish there was a local restaurant with suckling pig coated in very crispy skin. Yeah. And for dinner, well its family time but I think something from Calandras bakery with loads for creamy stuff will do.

I'm sorry. I got carried away with myself. My birthday is all about me.

But --- what would your once a year post heart attack birthday be like?

:wub: Viejo Majadero :wub:

Cranky old man

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

Lightly toasted on the outside Portugese roll, sliced open and steaming.  Two fried eggs cooked just enough to solidify the white but not enough prevent, endless it seems, golden yellow yolk running with every bite.  The eggs are place between layers of cooked through, brown on the middle and crispy on the edge ---  Taylor Ham. 

What..... no cheese?

Feliz cumpleanos.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Feliz, ditto........

That breakfast is one for the ages...it's perfect.

The rib suggestion was great; and for finger-smearing, lip-smacking, once-a-year binges, there's nothing like PORK. You don't have to have the whole pig. Just go get a nice hefty pork roast with a bone in, rub it with some salt and pepper and whatever suits your fancy, sock it in the oven about three hours before dinner, and relax.

Your family will come home to luscious aromas, a rested and happy birthday boy, and a GREAT dinner, with the addition of all those wonderful gooey bakery treats.

And no regrets tomorrow. Promise?

Feliz Cumpleanos, Viejo! Enjoy your feasting and stay majadero. :wink:

Surely there must be somewhere to find some pernil near you today, no?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Happy Birthday!

My dad had high cholesterol his entire life until he finally agreed to start taking Lipitor last year. He's always been trim and fit, but even though he had eaten like a bird (muesli, rice, egg whites, fish, plain pasta, a spot of red wine with dinner) since his college years and runs five miles a day, he simply could not lower his cholesterol level with lifestyle modification.

So, now, every three months he allows himself an appetizer-sized portion of whatever organ meat he's been forbidden to eat for several decades. A sliver of foie gras or a morsel of sweetbreads. I'd probably do the same but finish with some stilton (a wheel) and a bowl (a gallon) of ice cream.

:unsure:

Happy Birthday, Viejo! I was going to offer the same suggestion; head to the Ironbound. Pathmark fried chicken just can't be worth it on ANY day!

ENJOY.

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

To

Curlz. Thank you. My Pathmark makes great fried chicken. Get it while it is hot.

Icdm. Thank you. Also Kids took me to Calandras Medit. Grill. Had dessert there coated in wax.

Verjuice. Thanks For me it is Zocor.

Katie. Thanks Does Philly miss my brat number Two? She decided after 4 years at Penn, 2 years making Mojitos in Philly, and very good ones I might add, to go to a freezer box called Cornel Law. I'm sure Cafe Habana misses her but what about the rest of the city?

Racheld. Thanks also. Your suggestion is on my short list since I do the cooking here.

DTBarton. Thanks. No rib joint in sight, but I dream of Rondezvoux in New Orleans getting back on its feet.

Bigbear. Yeah no cheese. Don't mix my dairy and meat. (That was a joke :biggrin:

Thanks again to all.

Viejo Majadero

"A dry crust of bread eaten in peace and quiet is better than a feast eaten where everyone argues" Proverbs (17:1).

feliz as well... to another year! and may it be healthier and better than the last!

around here it's acme fried chicken but what about a nice 1" thick strip steak - grilled- yeah, grilled. left to rest then sprinkled with some sea salt.

ohhhhhh onion confit to go with it!! :rolleyes:

finish with some chocolate truffles or a slab of my black forest mousse pie

a good red wine and some bubbly.

whatever you decide post it here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...birthday+dining

i'm still working on how to get the pictures from my 51st on there. i'd loan you the birthday tiara but don't know if it would fit :wink:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

To

DVS - Thanks

Suzilightning -- Did my wife squeal about my Tiara thing? Thanks

Rebecca263 -- Thanks. Was my first birthday celebration with a grandchild present. He was teriffic. I was the one who was crying.

Tonight is my real celebration. Off to Zarole, just with my wife, my tiara, wine glasses, and a bottle from my cellar. Probably Haute Brion or La Mission Haute Brion from the 80's but may go high end California.

Viejo

Edited by viejomajadero (log)

• 1 month later...