• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Grub

Heh. It's "just" my usual morning porridge - oat bran with lots of water & milk, thickened then garnished with nuts & dried fruit. However, the last several days I've been adding a big spoonful of cocoa powder to the mix, hence the color...

Andrea

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Last night's dinner I lovingly refer to as 'Puke in a Pan'

gallery_6134_119_38523.jpg

believe it or not it actually looked worse in person...

My family didn't seem to care and the kids were actually fighting over the last spoonful. :laugh:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

What is in it, Kris?  I recognize chicken, sausage, and peas... I think.  That looks like it tastes good.

It was from the new Gourmet Cookbook (pg 361) and is called Gratineed Chicken and Vegetables in Cream Sauce (or Poulet a la Fermiere). They aren't sausages they are red carrots. :hmmm: I blame them for the funky color of the cream sauce....

. . . . .

. . . They aren't sausages they are red carrots. :hmmm:  I blame them for the funky color of the cream sauce....

Heh heh. You could maybe add some baking soda to the sauce and it might turn blue like my chicken and dumplings did. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Heheh, yeah it might not make the front cover of a gourmet cooking magazine, but I still think that looks like good eats, that.

I think what I've learned from this thread (and from the original "Dinner" thread, of course), is that food that doesn't look good in a picture, can still taste absolutely fantastic -- now, I already knew that... But what I've learned (as a complete amateur cook) is the importance of visual appeal in a meal. So I'm trying to think a lot more about the colors in the things I use -- vegetables, meats, sauces and garnishes.

gallery_6134_119_38523.jpg

believe it or not it actually looked worse in person...

What did it lovingly say back?

"Grrrr! Arrrrgh! PukoPanzilla go stomp Tokyo. Back for Pocky snack 'less have to fight Mothra."

Or did it just lie there speechless?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It said...

...All Your Base Are Belong to Us...Somebody Set Up Us the Bomb.

It said "AYBABTU"? In Nihonjin, English, or PukePanovitz?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

It said...

...All Your Base Are Belong to Us...Somebody Set Up Us the Bomb.

It said "AYBABTU"? In Nihonjin, English, or PukePanovitz?

In Nihonjin. There is a sneaking suspicion that one of the lumps in that pan may be Domo-kun.

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

Ok, here is my new favorite:

20051028_09sm.jpg

My usual breakfast, this time in a chocolate incarnation.  VERY yummy.

:wub:

Gosh, I love this thread so much that I really want to have something more to contribute. Love the comments. Contemplating cooking up something really nasty and taking a bad photo of it... Any suggestions as to what could look particularly disgusting? Disgusting taste not required :biggrin:.

Soylent Green!!! IT'S NOT FOOD ITS PEOPLE!!!!! (collapses to knees) oh the humanity...... (and weeps)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Well, the composed bowl looked lovely, and can be found in the Chili Cook-Off Thread.

However, I then mixed it all up, which yielded this mess (I'm especially fond of the greasy fingerprints on the spoon - it's a nice touch):

gallery_19707_1686_45480.jpg

It was tasty. Not pretty, but very, very tasty.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

my chili...

gallery_6134_119_36057.jpg

I think it belongs in this thread rather than the chili cook off thread. :sad:

Other than that your photo's out of focus, and it looks like you have way too many beans in it, what was wrong with this batch of chili?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Other than that your photo's out of focus, and it looks like you have way too many beans in it, what was wrong with this batch of chili?

Maybe if it was in focus the beans would look less like dead bugs..