• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Grub

What's that thing at the top of the plate?  It looks like some poor guy lost a bit of his...umm....you know...

That would be a piece of sausage. If you think that looks like a ibt of someone's...umm...you know, then I'd better not ask what the sauce next to it reminds you of... :blink:

Is that paprika sprinkled around the plate?  Also is that fried egg at 8 o'clock? 

Yes, that is paprika sprinkled around the plate. If you look closely, you can see some of it dissolving in the grey sauce. I have yet to figure out why a restaurant would want to sprinkle paprika around the edges of every single plate of food they serve.

No that's not fried egg (though I did have one at eight o'clock).

It looks like chicken to me.

Is that even risotto???  It looks like a mound of brown rice, not creamy at all.

It tasted exactly like stone-cold chicken with nasty green goo on top, so I think you're right. The rice wasn't creamy at all, but still closer to risotto than this place usually manage. At least this time, there was rice in it. I mixed in some of the grey sauce and tried to pretend that it was real risotto. Didn't work too well...

Yes, that plate of food is a winner. It is exceedingly repugnant.

Now, the question is, did you eat it?

I'm glad you liked it. We aim to please. :smile:

I ate most of it. How could I not? Such a masterpiece of visual repulsion begs to be eaten, so one might judge whether it tastes as bad as it looks. Besides, I was really hungry and had already paid for it. The sausage was dreary, the prosciutto nasty (and rubbery), the salami not too repulsive and chicken mostly edible. The "bile-like" sauce had no flavor and the rice (devoid, I might add, of mushrooms) was over-cooked, under-seasoned, dry and altogether horrible.

David Byers

In cataloging the many nasty elements, we note:

The sawed-off bit of sausage “thumb” with moldering gray areas.

The bile-like green-gray sauce on a piece of rubbery-looking prosciutto.

The yellow chicken-artichoke-egg substance smeared with green mucous sauce.

The broken slice of cappicola studded with bits of fat and gristle.

The dreary brown rice in which a stream of bilious gray sauce has run and collected into a mucosal gob.

The unattractive dusting of rust-brown spice.

Overall, an artless presentation compounded by the unappealing character of each particular foodstuff. A truly revolting collection.

I was going to say it looks like the time the kids microwaved some weenies in the plastic package, but after this genius prose, I'm just Charlie Brown cloud-gazing.

I'm glad you liked it. We aim to please. :smile:

I ate most of it. How could I not? Such a masterpiece of visual repulsion begs to be eaten, so one might judge whether it tastes as bad as it looks. Besides, I was really hungry and had already paid for it. The sausage was dreary, the prosciutto nasty (and rubbery), the salami not too repulsive and chicken mostly edible. The "bile-like" sauce had no flavor and the rice (devoid, I might add, of mushrooms) was over-cooked, under-seasoned, dry and altogether horrible.

Thank you, ringflinger, for your testimony. Your tasting confirms the visual foulness of the platter and brings a completeness and sense of closure to the episode. Your act of consumption is another stirring example of man’s quest for knowledge and the extent to which he will go to gain it. I commend you.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

It's with great pride that I finally share tonight's dinner. No, we didn't have Alpo, though it sure looks like it. :blink:

gallery_9138_54_220222.jpg

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

It's an Indonesian beef curry. Fantastically good, but it really, really looked like Alpo on a plate. My son looked at it, looked at me, and asked, "is this supposed to be for the cats?" :laugh:

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I think that photo belongs in the regular dinner thread. Good rendang is one of the most delicious dishes I can think of that doesn't require the use of luxe ingredients and a Michelin 3-star-quality chef. It's really great!

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

Was it Beef Rendang?

Yes, indeed! Good eyes, both of you.

This is what I love about egullet -- impressive...

I didn't think it looked bad, either -- most stew-type meals look like that, you know? You'd have to plate it with garnishes and accoutrements galore to make it look gourmet-y :wink:

Nice try, tejon. But I agree that your stew looks too appetizing. I'm sorry, it doesn't make the cut. Perhaps in the future you'll be able to bring something unquestionably reprehensible to the table.

"Yo, I want one of those!"