• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Grub

Been having a real bad stretch recently, and just didn't feel inspired -- couldn't really think of anything I wanted to cook at all... But then, a very simple, yet very classic dish came to me: pasta alla carbonara. It's so simple: pasta with a butter-cream-egg sauce, parm cheese stirred in, and crisp bacon and parsley. No brainer.

Then the sauce just completely curdled on me. I don't know if I heated the sauce too much, or added too much cheese, or what. I have no idea.

I was so distressed I didn't even think to take a picture of the mess, which bummed me out even further -- I couldn't even post a picture of it for a laugh. Augh.

Grub, sorry to hear you feeling so defeated.

When you make carbonara traditionally, you combine the eggs and parm and pepper in a bowl and once the pasta is cooked, you transfer the pasta to the bowl and toss in your bacon. Toss quickly so that the eggs don't curdle. The heat of the pasta will cook the egg ever so slightly to thicken it. Add a bit of pasta water if it seems too thick. That's it. Traditionally cream is not used, and the sauce is not heated on the stovetop. Hope this helps.

Grub, sorry to hear you feeling so defeated. 

When you make carbonara traditionally, you combine the eggs and parm and pepper in a bowl and once the pasta is cooked, you transfer the pasta to the bowl and toss in your bacon.  Toss quickly so that the eggs don't curdle.    The heat of the pasta will cook the egg ever so slightly to thicken it.  Add a bit of pasta water if it seems too thick.  That's it.  Traditionally cream is not used, and the sauce is not heated on the stovetop.  Hope this helps.

And don't forget the black pepper!!!! :biggrin:

I had some carbonara at Otto last week, and they also added slivered scallions - not traditional, but pretty good nonetheless.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

When you make carbonara traditionally, you combine the eggs and parm and pepper in a bowl and once the pasta is cooked, you transfer the pasta to the bowl and toss in your bacon ...

Oh, now that is a method that I read something about, somewhere -- sort of rings a bell, that... Thank you. I'll have a stab at it -- and if I still mess it up, I'll endeavor to keep a level head and at least take a picture of the mess :smile: Thanks.

The Naked Chef?! We don't keep a TV, so I'm not sure of this. But I believe that's what I was told.

Miriam

Actually, I believe it is Bob Blumenthal (not sure of last name) - the guy who drove around the country in a van shaped like a toaster to promote his book - who first mentionned this method. Well, that's where *I* first heard of it anyway.....

I wonder if Electrosol makes a good marinade?

:wink:

~Radio

the tall drink of water...

Grub, I, too, am feeling defeated. I have only cooked a couple of things in the last two weeks that were worthy of reporting on.

But, my most recent disaster was Saturday night:

gallery_6263_35_25040.jpg

The Goan Chicken from Molly Stevens All About Braising. I describe the process here. Not only was it not tasty, but it was an unbelievably time consuming meal. All the more disappointing, because if I'm going to make that big a mess making a meal, at least it should be tasty!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

When you make carbonara traditionally, you combine the eggs and parm and pepper in a bowl and once the pasta is cooked, you transfer the pasta to the bowl and toss in your bacon ...

Oh, now that is a method that I read something about, somewhere -- sort of rings a bell, that... Thank you. I'll have a stab at it -- and if I still mess it up, I'll endeavor to keep a level head and at least take a picture of the mess :smile: Thanks.

Grub, you can check out some of the renditions here on the Lazio thread: The Cooking and Cuisine of Lazio

While popular in Cantonese cuisine, they're not often to be found in Washington, D.C.!!!!

ok i had to check on this thread after like a year - and megan you totally cracked me up with this.

nice one!

peanutgirl - i'm not seeing your problem - it looks delicious.

My first post to this thread... Please don't be kind  :blink: .

gallery_11353_2901_220176.jpg

Looks a little on the dry side, but I don't think it actually looks bad. What was it and how did it taste?

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Misleading... sorry. It was supposed to be filling for spring rolls or something akin anyway. The rice papers all disintgrated into a gloppy mess so I just said F*it and mixed all the stuff together. It was regrettable because I wanted, meant, for it to be something else. :sad:

It does taste pretty good though. Kids liked it.

Boooo.  If it tasted and looked good, pshaw.  We don't know that it was meant for something else.

This is something I have had drilled into me over and over: most people are going to take whatever you serve them at face value, and if you don't tell them that it wasn't how you meant it to be, they'll never guess. I thought it looked like a very nice Asian noodle salad!

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Well it was regrettable to me for reasons already stated. Damn...I didn't know there was a password to get on this thread  :shock: .

No password but, as BryanZ knows, we have our standards. Consider mizducky's eggplant mash..........

Sorry, BryanZ, too nice.  :raz:

You gotta realize the competition here is fierce ! Look at mizducky's entry from May 25, 06

gallery_27785_1816_12795.jpg

Now THAT is impressive.  :wacko:

(Your's does get an award for most heartbreaking misuse of a lovely ingredient, tho !  :sad: )

or meez's lovely jerk paste.......gallery_39576_2195_73994.jpg

Both tasted good, but LOOKS ? Something else. BTW, peanutgirl, welcome..... :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry folks but, I think this takes home the blue ribbon.. This actually caused immediate illness.. Rancid veal kidney.. Fried in butter and finished in a mustard shallot cream sauce..

A disgusting camera phone picture to boot.. I didnt look so bad in real life, but the taste of the kidney made up for it..

gallery_15057_2971_7777.jpg

Oh man, that looks horrific. I guess there is no "bite" photo with this one.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Rancid? Damn! That's a first in the thread, I think... Good one! :smile:

How long did it spend in the fridge? Did you get it from a dodgy butcher or something?

It is indeed challenging to make kidneys look pretty on a plate.

Totally leaving aside any problems such as rancidity.

Their odor when being cooked also tends to give many people pause (sez she who once, many years ago, almost came to blows with a housemate's guest over a kidney stew--I wasn't even cooking it for anybody besides myself, but alas the cooking smells didn't know that. :laugh: )