• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Grub

Pizza...with a slight char on the tomato sauce?

It is a Sicilian Focaccia (sfincione) which is actually supposed to be THICKER than a focaccia. :hmmm: I am not sure what went wrong but it tasted like cardboard...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

this is the wonderful Japanese delicacy of ika no shiokara, often translated into English as squid fermented in its own guts...

My FIL made this version, it is actually much better tasting than it sounds or looks. :biggrin:

gallery_6134_184_1097236278.jpg

Must...not.. open ....thread before breakfast. I just want to barf now.

I nominate Mizducky's "plotz on a plate" and Torakris' "guts in broth" for the Barf Award, for excellence in the portrayal of food horrors!

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Can we vote for the nastiest looking dish? I hope this is not going to hurt your feelings, Kristin :smile:, but THIS looks like some fat white worms floating in... well, I don't want to even think about it. And I am not squeamish about food!

Honestly, as horrible as some of these meals appear, I think a great deal of the yuck factor is due to a lack of photography skills rather than bad cooking!  Too much flash, glare, bad composition, and in particular, a lack of understanding of White Balance don't exactly help very much!  I would recommend that those of you with digital cameras take an afternoon (or three) learning about your cameras and trying different things with them.  In particular, learn about the different types of flash (slow-sync flash, for example, uses a slow shutter speed and "less" flash, which allows more ambient light to creep in), and White Balance (which can either be set in-camera, or altered using Photoshop or with your camera's editing software), which has a HUGE impact on the colors of your photographs. 

Austin Bush

www.austinbushphotography.com

Austin, can you share more advice? But, not to sound party poopy-ish (this IS, after all, the fun thread - who can take the worst food photo ever :biggrin:), we can talk in the food photography thread. Your professional expertise will be much appreciated!

this is the wonderful Japanese delicacy of ika no shiokara, often translated into English as squid fermented in its own guts...

My FIL made this version, it is actually much better tasting than it sounds or looks. :biggrin:

gallery_6134_184_1097236278.jpg

Isn't this the traditional dish served in a Kabuki production when one character has to kill off another? :smile::sad:

I think there is something about the uh. . .vitality. . . of Japanese food that definitely gives it an edge in this thread. :biggrin:

Very visceral.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I am not even sure what this one was anymore....not a good sign...

gallery_6134_184_1097295754.jpg

*blush*

I remember this from one of your blogs, Kristin! It's zosui!

Those kimchi nabe posts inspired me to try to make it myself. My sister and I love kimchi nabe, and I've made it quite a few times. Now that the cold weather's settling in, I'll probably make it again soon. I'll post pictures, pretty and ugly. :biggrin:

Amy

Wow! You have a better memory than I do! :huh:

I think I may have to stop posting my bad pictures of Japanese food or people may be scared off of it forever....

Oh no. :shock: Please don't, Kristin! Our lives would be made immeasureably smaller by the loss.

I've actually been hungrier for Japanese food *now* than I have been in some time. I like those little fishes all over the place. They really do have a sort of artistic merit all on their own.

Now I do have to admit that each time I see a food photo with a fish in it posted *elsewhere* that has any sort of liveliness to it, my immediate thought is: "Why didn't they post that in the Regrettable Foods thread?" :biggrin: It's taken all my willpower to not PM these people with "invitations to join". :huh:

*Deborah*, you really think it looks tasty? Oh no, then I have failed miserably in this thread! :wacko: It's sweet azuki porridge with some glass noodles... tastes fine but it definitely looks 'orrible in real life.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

*Deborah*, you really think it looks tasty?  Oh no, then I have failed miserably in this thread! :wacko:  It's sweet azuki porridge with some glass noodles... tastes fine but it definitely looks 'orrible in real life.

I find it really challenging to make cooked bean dishes look pretty, even when they taste great. Some of the best refried beans I've ever tasted have looked like, well, the contents of some baby's diaper. :shock: But raw beans do look quite pretty--especially adzuki, with their distinctive shape and little stripe.

Ate the following sometime last night in Los Angeles. I wasn't sure whether to post it here, or the thread about places you've dined recently, or the one about blurry low-quality camera-phone photos ... :smile:

gallery_27785_1816_36779.jpg

I wanted to guess it was Tofurkey--something I've heard of but never have seen. Just as it looks in life, walking around on the Tofurkey farm.

Special K porridge  :wub: --- doesn't look too bad! How'd it taste?

:biggrin::biggrin:

not too bad.. but I doubt anyone would agree.. think thick grainy, slightly sour buttermilk..

I only made it out of nostalgia, because I was thinking so much about my grandmother lately.. she loved this stuff...

details here in the dutch cooking thread

isn't it an american custom as well, for moms to write their children's initials in the cereal?

Edited by Chufi (log)

20051004_03md.jpg

The funny thing about those enchiladas is that they are one of the best meals I've cooked at home in a long time. Very flavorful and spicy. Too bad they look like what Dr Seuss might have purged after eating green eggs & ham....

20051028_09sm.jpg

My usual breakfast, this time in a chocolate incarnation. VERY yummy.

20050521_10md.jpg

....and a pizza that while not at all inedible, can't help but look suspicious.

:biggrin:

Andrea

http://tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Whoa. Andrea. :blink:

Your photos, particularly the first and second ones, have taken us to an all-new high... or low, such as the case may be.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg