• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Grub

Alinka, those two pictures both look great to me. Very sharp, and color-balanced and whatnot. And yeah, I'd eat that stuff. If that's the worst you've ever done, I reckon you're way ahead of the curve :smile:

Ok.. I have a new angle on regrettable foods.. This morning I regretted combining this sandwich with a night of drinking vermouth and port..

Heheh, good one that. I'm relieved you've found something worthy of this gallery of shame -- you're always posting so many excellent pictures in the original "Dinner" thread, dude.

It is nothing like ootoro or even chutoro as the flesh isn't as soft and it thinner.

Thanks for that, Kristin. I'll be on the lookout!

Joie, I'd say the flesh is somewhat similar to sardines. Fairly oil and with good flavor. Grill /roast plain and serve with grated daikon and soy sauce. A classic entree for a traditional Japanese meal.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Ok.. Another late night sandwich I regret making.. I am going to wake up so full tomrrow, I'm going to get a cramp on the way to brushing my teeth...

gallery_15057_1519_952162.jpg

Me and the girl stayed up way to late and got into this conversation about making a BLT.. It turns out we used all of our ideas and things got weird..

gallery_15057_1519_42087.jpg

Besides the avocado, there was hummus involved.. Joining the gym soon...

gallery_15057_1519_854453.jpg

Edited by Daniel (log)

Heh. I got all excited because I saw an answer and now I see that my photo is only coming up "sometimes" and the rest of the time it just says "user posted image".

Just goes to show how regrettable my photo-posting skills are, too. :cool:

Let me try to figure it out - it may be a little while because I actually have to finish cooking dinner.  :huh: Pah. :wink:

I have an idea...I think in the earlier, red x picture, you used a link to a picture on whatever photo storage website you normally use...from what I can tell, it's MSN. We used to be able to do that, but as far as I know, we can't anymore. In order to have pictures in your post, you must use ImageGullet, which is a pain in the butt.

But I could be wrong....

Edited to add: That picture of pea soup truly was disgusting. I think it's my favourite of all the regrettable foods. Good work! :biggrin:

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Edited to add:  That picture of pea soup truly was disgusting.  I think it's my favourite of all the regrettable foods.  Good work!  :biggrin:

Thanks, prasantrin! :biggrin: Though I must admit that I am rather enchanted myself with that hot dog thing that Eastern Sun posted a little while ago - but my "favorites" do seem to keep changing as more marvellously evocative wonders appear. :smile:

Ok, now I feel bad about posting those pictures after hearing your praise (thank you, by the way, I think I'm getting addicted to the support I get here on eGullet :smile:). Of course these are not the worst things I ever cooked, I'm just too embarrassed to save those on film for posterity :biggrin:.

Here, I've rummaged through my computer and found this:

This is an attempt to show one of my favorite breakfasts - buckwheat kasha (eaten hot).

Buckwheat-vi.jpg

That didn't seem right, so I decided that a close-up will look more appetizing -

BuckwheatA-vi.jpg

Mmm... maybe not :biggrin:.

And here's what happens when I try being creative when photographing my food. This suspicious pile is not what you think; it's home-made roasted pepper hummus. Dig in!

RedHummus4-vi.jpg

Wait! That's not all. Not quite a photography problem, but a problem nonetheless. I spent about an hour making blini (Russian thin, large crepes), and then another hour making fillings for them, and then stuffing them. Very traditional (that was for a Russian party), very yummy. Then I decided to put them in the fidge until evening, when I would fry them in butter. And HERE THEY ARE!

Pancakes-vi.jpg

The rest somehow ended up in another corner of the kitchen.

Daniel, that sandwich looks so delicious! I really want to bite in right there in the middle.

Edited by Alinka (log)

Ok, now I feel bad about posting those pictures after hearing your praise (thank you, by the way, I think I'm getting addicted to the support I get here on eGullet :smile:). Of course these are not the worst things I ever cooked, I'm just too embarrassed to save those on film for posterity :biggrin:.

Here, I've rummaged through my computer and found this:

This is an attempt to show one of my favorite breakfasts - buckwheat kasha (eaten hot).

Buckwheat-vi.jpg

That didn't seem right, so I decided that a close-up will look more appetizing -

BuckwheatA-vi.jpg

Mmm... maybe not :biggrin:.

OK - that truly does look nasty.

Bill Russell

I have an idea...I think in the earlier, red x picture, you used a link to a picture on whatever photo storage website you normally use...from what I can tell, it's MSN.  We used to be able to do that, but as far as I know, we can't anymore.  In order to have pictures in your post, you must use ImageGullet, which is a pain in the butt.

But I could be wrong....

I use flickr, a suggestion by some other eGers.

OK, I have another one.  This is arancini.  Oozy, greasy, arancini.  Only 600 calories per piece!  :hmmm:

gallery_10177_1767_296599.jpg

Y'know, for all that those arancini did not turn out magazine-cover perfect, they still have a kind of homely/homey charm ... I'd at least try one. :smile: (And I think your tablecloth is cute.)

^Yes...it does indeed look mountainous. :laugh: (Your description cracks me up though....! The next time I make croissant bread pudding, I'm going to hide little Lego people in it. Of course, I would be the only person in my family who would find this terribly amusing. :laugh: )

gallery_28832_1787_13457.jpg

Meatcakes (Norwegian "Kjøttkaker")... Quite a lot of work, but the good thing is, always quite a lot of leftovers!

Sad thing is, I failed to take a picture of the plated meals, which looked quite good (in a sort of super-hearty, fjord-diving, reindeer-chasing, glacier-climbing high-caloric, uh, viking, pillaging & burning-kinda way). As good as they taste as leftovers, they look kinda ... narly...

You really didn't need to post a picture. Just the name - "meatcakes" - gives me the chills.

See what I mean:

Meatcakes (Norwegian "Kjøttkaker")... Quite a lot of work, but the good thing is, always quite a lot of leftovers!

Bill Russell