• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner II: The Gallery of Regrettable Foods (Part 1)

Grub

inny, i don't mean to start an argument or nothin, but i don't see anything wrong with that stew.  the dumplings, yeah, they're a little sketchy, but that stew?  looks great.

I guess the pinkness didn't really come through as strongly in the photo. Trust me, in person... pepto mixed with dog food :biggrin:

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

inny, i don't mean to start an argument or nothin, but i don't see anything wrong with that stew.  the dumplings, yeah, they're a little sketchy, but that stew?  looks great.

I guess the pinkness didn't really come through as strongly in the photo. Trust me, in person... pepto mixed with dog food :biggrin:

Wow. Those dumplings are...freudian. There's just no other word for it. :wink:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I've been on a tear, lately...

First off, some salmon grilled over coals that were far too hot. I learned (from egullet, of course) that the white guck that is excreted from the salmon is a surefire sign that the salmon is overcooked -- but in this case, the salmon was still uncooked and red on the inside. Gah.

gallery_28832_1787_11416.jpg

Next up, I was trying to make some cheese sauce... Just a basic bechamel sauce, with some cheese melted into it. But it got all chunky and 'orrible, so I figured I'd run it through the shieve. It instantly harded up and stuck to the shieve -- I didn't even think to take a picture of it until after I'd mamanged to remove most of it. You shoulda seen what it looked like earlier...

gallery_28832_1787_18290.jpg

How ya like yer burger buns? Extra sooty? Great! I feel like Dustin Hoffman in Rainman: "I'm an EXCELLENT griller."

gallery_28832_1787_5351.jpg

After another attempt on the buns, I got the burger meal together. But this picture is just such a complete and utter mess... The fries were done beforehand, in a wok, with some garlic salt and spice rub to make em nice and zesty -- that'd be the blackened specks, cause it was all burnt. Then they were left in the oven so as to be nice and soggy and horrible by the time the burgers were done. Semi-melted cheddar cheese just doesn't look good in a picture, either.

gallery_28832_1787_26410.jpg

Grub - you mean burger buns aren't supposed to look like that? Trust me, they look better than a lot of my attempts. But, then again, I do not seem to possess the proper genetic chromosome necessary for successful grilling :wink:

Even though the fries are a little, um, speckled, I'd eat that burger. Then again, I should probably be posting that in the PMS thread :biggrin: That actually looks very good right now.

But the salmon... oh my. Gotta know what you did with it - was it fixable? Fed to the dogs? Inquiring minds want to know.

Anna

------

"I brought you a tuna sandwich. They say it's brain food. I guess because there's so much dolphin in it, and you know how smart they are." -- Marge Simpson

...Even though the fries are a little, um, speckled, I'd eat that burger. Then again, I should probably be posting that in the PMS thread  :biggrin:  That actually looks very good right now.

But the salmon... oh my. Gotta know what you did with it - was it fixable? Fed to the dogs? Inquiring minds want to know.

The burgers? I was planning on doing some "squealers" -- ie., some minced bacon added into the beef, but was left with no bacon. So I opted for some blue cheese instead (as well as a bit of ground cumin and coriander -- I saw Jamie Oliver make an "Elvis" burger that way, hah!). Well, blue cheese is just way too heavy for red meat in my opinion -- I've had fillet mignons with blue cheese before, and I should know better. That burger sat like a lead brick in my stomach. Uh. Good eats at the moment, mind you. But uh, heavy.

The salmon was kind of "fixable": Admit your mistakes, beg forgiveness (and cover the worst of the icky stuff up -- if yer serving it with pasta and a white sauce, your prospects are all the much better :smile:) and hope for the best -- if you have a reasonably forgiving audience, you're okay... But uh, not a proud moment, that...

I am so glad that this thread exits...does much for my self confidence. I occasionally look through the latest contributions to the dinner thread and leave both salivating and deflated about most of my normal at-home dinner attemts. I've never even considered posting what I've cooked because, although it might taste fab, never has the visual appeal that all of those candidates for food-magazine spreads have.

Actually, although you all might call your posts "regrettable", most still are quite appealing looking and sounding. I think I need to figure out how to upload pictures to show you what regrettable truly looks like!

Gawd, I love this thread

:wub:  :wub:

ditto

at least you feel more like Keller :laugh: after learning from your mistakes. One of the best ways of learning may be to screw up and look at your errors and the situation then learn from them instead of blaming the recipe or source. Just my 2#.

Don't Ask. Just....Don't Ask.

gallery_15557_1141_26478.jpg

Marcia.

I have to ask... I think I recognize the pork (?) chop, but what is the green stuff? And how is the chop white?

Gawd, I love this thread

:wub:  :wub:

ditto

at least you feel more like Keller :laugh: after learning from your mistakes. One of the best ways of learning may be to screw up and look at your errors and the situation then learn from them instead of blaming the recipe or source. Just my 2#.

I'll ditto that ditto. That's how I learned to cook when I was a kid, much to my mother's shagrin. I wish I had a photo of the 'there is such a thing as too much tumeric' lesson. That mac and cheese looked positively radioactive :rolleyes:

Anna

------

Don't Ask. Just....Don't Ask.

gallery_15557_1141_26478.jpg

Marcia.

I have to ask... I think I recognize the pork (?) chop, but what is the green stuff? And how is the chop white?

The green stuff looks like shaved cucumber to me...am I right? And it looks like whatever the pork chop was coated in somehow stuck to the pan? Hmmm...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I'll play:

What is up with the shiny ring of grease around the outside of the bowl and the strangely off colors? And that wasn't just the picture - it really did look like that.

gallery_7851_477_154185.jpg

Does turmeric ever make anything more appealing?

gallery_7851_477_29527.jpg

No - this turkey really isn't made out of rubber.

gallery_7851_477_1105331470.jpg

Somehow the red food coloring works at Tandoori restaurants - not so much at home. Maybe on an Easter egg.

tikka0lx.jpg

Edited by bilrus (log)

Bill Russell

It's milt again.

Aaaah, back to the dirty stuff. Good times. :wink:

Careful what you wish for... I still have wonton wrappers and I'm not afraid to use them :raz:

Anna

------

i think the rice cake in chile looks de-lish

ooh, I am going to love this thread!!

I have so much to contribute! :hmmm:  :laugh:

a roasted beet, arugula and blue cheese salad

how can beets combined with anything be made to look nice? it doesn't help that it is slightly out of focus...

gallery_6134_119_27316.jpg

Another delicious dish, that just looks bad. Why is it so shiny?

Korean tteok (rice cakes) in kochujang (chile miso) sauce

gallery_6134_119_1100238902.jpg

miso soup with daikon, aburage (tofu pockets) and white miso, I tried to brighten it up with a dollop of yuzu-koshou (green chile and yuzu rind paste) but it still looks very pale

gallery_6134_91_1103245031.jpg

another miso soup, this time with sweet potato and niboshi (dried baby sardines), it really tastes good but it just looks like dead fish floating in the soup...

gallery_6134_91_1103158806.jpg

I think I will stop for now...

This is something I made a while back - tasted great, but doesn't look too good.  It's essentially coq au vin, made with riesling.  Yummy, but all one color and photographed REALLY badly.

gallery_26775_1623_1075328.jpg

Thankyou for making me laugh out loud! It certainly is an eye opener! Come on you have to admit it looks a little ewwy.

For some reason I never looked into this thread before, and when I did, yegads.  Dog barf everywhere!  And then I thought "wait, don't I myself have a couple of pictures that are even more disgusting- looking?"  And the answer is:

gallery_16307_215_64926.jpg

That was an attempt to have very little pasta with lots of greens.  Would it surprise you to know that I actually ate that stuff?  And then there was the maitake frittata:

gallery_16307_215_1105376734.jpg

The veggies look ok, but if mushrooms had brains, those maitakes would be them.  Double Dog Barf.  But delicious.

Its hard to describe what the first dish looks like Spinach with congeeled shiny onions and occasional pasta.

You made my afternoon!

Edited by popover (log)

Thankyou for making me laugh out loud!      It certainly is an eye opener!    Come on you have to admit it looks a little ewwy.

Indeed I do! Which is why, of course, I posted it here! :wink:

Queenie Takes Manhattan