• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hong Kong Restaurant Recommendations

cabrales

The Conrad is in Pacific Place, a nice shopping center that has an MTR subway stop on the same line as Central. Taxis are also readily available from several locations within this huge complex. Of limited interest to foodies and very convenient might be the Japanese department store inside the Pacific Place complex -- its basement, like most other Japanese department stores in HK -- has a food fair of sorts for Japanese food. The sushi is not the best item to sample, but some hot foods are passable. If you are looking for a quick, mediocre-quality snack very close to your hotel, there could be some interesting items to sample there. This is extremely inexpensive food.

Edited by cabrales (log)

I have not been impressed by the restaurants in the Conrad itself (or the J W Marriott, which is also in Pacific Place). But there is at least one good restaurant in the shopping mall below the two hotels -- we had some delicious roast fowl there (pigeon, duck, etc.) -- in the event that you want to eat without going outdoors. There is also a dimsam restaurant in the same area, the menu looked good but I have not tried it.

Both the Conrad and the J W Marriott offer in-room broadband connections, so you can bring a laptop and stay fully tuned in to eGullet...

Jonathan Day

"La cuisine, c'est quand les choses ont le go�t de ce qu'elles sont."

• 3 weeks later...

This question is as personal as "What's the Best Deli in New York". If you're staying at the Conrad, try the restaurant in the adjunct United Center. It's a massive Dim Sum establishment during the week day (Mon. - Sat in HKG) lunch hours, which ensure the freshness of the food. The food there was great and probably half the price of the Marriott's restaurant (In the basement of Pacific Place)

Some of HKG's hotels have great Dim Sum. They are normally the ones catering more to Chinese. I persoanlly like Kwoloon hotel and Maxim hotel's east palace. I've tried Dim Sum at more upscale establishments (Island Shangri-la, Mandarin Oriental) and found them disappointing.

For more about HKG food scene, try http://www.foodeasy.com

Michael

Looks like you have enough Dim Sum advice.  But don't forget to try some roast goose!  I always go to Yun Kee's which is halfway up D'Aguilar street (Hong Kong side, Central).

I think you're thinking of Yung Kee. It's renowned in Hong Kong for their roast goose.

-------------

Steve

Recently returned from a Christmas trip to Hong Kong. A local we met while sharing a table at Yung Kee recommended Maxims in City Hall for dim sum. We really enjoyed it..huge selection, great view. Get there early though as there will be a wait (weekends only).

I forgot to mention that the HK airport has a dim sum venue (not delicious, but there are limited alternatives).

Like many Airports, it is cafeteria style - on the upper level, along with japanese soba and some really upappealing desserts :smile:

The CX (Cathay Pacific) First Class lounge is quite an experience. Its decor,facilities and food&drinks gets it nominated every year among the best lounges in the world.

Edited by anil (log)

anil

The CX (Cathay Pacific) First Class lounge is quite an experience.  Its decor,facilities and food&drinks gets it nominated every year among the best lounges in the world.

The long bar there is a great bar, in terms of design and view. I also think that HKG is the best airport in the world.

The CX (Cathay Pacific) First Class lounge is quite an experience.  Its decor,facilities and food&drinks gets it nominated every year among the best lounges in the world.

The long bar there is a great bar, in terms of design and view. I also think that HKG is the best airport in the world.

Sorry Charles- I must respectfully disagree. Changi Airport in Singapore kicks major ass! Furthermore, Singapore Airlines is the lord of the skies.

I've been based in HK during the last days of Kai Tak airport (and am perhaps one of the last lucky few who have experienced the amazing landing path which takes you in a steep banking turn between buildings) and have since travelled frequently to HK via Chep Lap Kok airport.

Now, I am based in Singapore, and fly out to Oz and Manila every month. I must tell you, Changi is awesome in breadth of shopping, broadband accessibility (free wireless lan), and if you're one of the lucky few PPS club member on Singapore airlines, you gain entry to unquestionably one of the best 1st class lounges on earth. To me, Chep Lap Kok is not as passenger friendly in design or convenience.

One thing I do like in the Marco Polo club lounge in HK is the complimentary noodle bar. I love the Shanghai style noodle in chili sesame oil dressing.

:biggrin:

• 1 month later...

If we're talking about food alone, although I realize that it's a matter of personal preferences, HK Airport definitely leaves Change Airport to dust. Hong Kong has been famous among just about every world travellers for having the one of the best food in the world and some of the restaurants in HK Airport does provide this type of experience. I'm not saying that Singapore is not worldly known for its food and cuisines, but it's on completely different level compared to Hong Kong.

One is the ultimate place to get the best modern, new-style Cantonese food on earth. One is the cross road of different culture, from Hokkienese Chinese, Indonesian, Malaysian, and Indian. In Singapore the food is a mixed bag of different culture. The result is also a mixed bag and the Changi Airport shows these differences as well.

If we're talking about design alone, HK again tops Changi in every aspect of modern designs, views, not to mention the superfast train from the Airport that takes you to the city.

Now, if we're talking about comfort that's a different story.

Edited by yummee (log)

I've been based in HK during the last days of Kai Tak airport (and am perhaps one of the last lucky few who have experienced the amazing landing path which takes you in a steep banking turn between buildings) .......

Yup ! Yup !! Kai Tak landings were phenomenal. But from another perspective

these cannot be beat in breadth or in scale A favourite activity at the beach.

Actually I cherished the window seat while landing at Kai Tak

Edited by anil (log)

anil

SIN and HKG are both modern and very convenient airports :biggrin: If one has club access what difference does it make who has better restaurants -- you just hang around in the bar, oogle at the eye candy and maybe nibble or two before the flight :blink:

anil

Some of My HK gourmad friends recommedns me The Peninsula Hong Kong has the best dim sum. After I sampled it out, I do not know whether it is the best in HK, it is certainly has the exceptional quality which has impressed me tremendously. Spring Moon restaurant (Peninsula) offer 27 top quality chinese tea and serve it at true Chinese way, in other words, per person has their own teapot which just serve one cup of tea. Once you finish your tea, the waiter will come to you to add more water, therefore, you always have a tea which at the right temperature to enjoy. The dim sum itself is more on the creative side ( Lighter, less greasy, small portion, using a lot of expensive ingredient with the creative match such as roasted duck and dried oyster mix together as the filling and use filo to wrape it and fried , extremely delicious) rather than tradition Hong Kongese dim sum ( mostly use prawn, pork , beef and large portion).

The sweet dim sum is also exceptionally tasty, frankly, this was first time I realize that Chinese dessert is no less than Western one. One sweet dim sum ¥¤¬Ó¥] (I am sorry for typing CHinese here, because I do not know the proper translation) which you can taste it every dim sum restaurant (US, UK, HK, and etc). THe ingredinet is very simple, just butter, chesse powder, egg and coconut milk. YOU probably already try the boring version, however, the one I have tried in Spring Moon was memorable. The taste stayed in my mouth for few weeks. If Pierre Herme is best at creating many different layer of tasting experience in one bite, the Spring Moon's ¥¤¬Ó¥] is best at bring out the long forgetten best flavour of few basic ingredient.

Strongly recommend .

www.peninsula.com

Ann

Some of My HK gourmad friends recommedns me The Peninsula Hong Kong has the best dim sum. After I sampled it out, I do not know whether it is the best in HK, it is certainly has the exceptional quality which has impressed me tremendously. Spring Moon restaurant (Peninsula) offer 27 top quality chinese tea and serve it at true Chinese way, in other words, per person has their own teapot which just  serve one cup of tea. Once you finish your tea, the waiter will come to you to add more water, therefore, you always have a tea which at the right temperature to enjoy. The dim sum itself is more on the creative side  ( Lighter, less greasy, small portion, using a lot of expensive ingredient with the creative match such as roasted duck and dried oyster mix together as the filling and use filo to wrape it and fried , extremely delicious) rather than tradition Hong Kongese dim sum ( mostly use prawn, pork , beef and large portion).

The sweet dim sum is also exceptionally tasty, frankly, this was first time I realize that Chinese dessert is no less than Western one.  One sweet dim sum ¥¤¬Ó¥] (I am sorry for typing CHinese here, because I do not know the proper translation) which you can taste it every dim sum restaurant (US, UK, HK, and etc). THe ingredinet is very simple, just butter, chesse powder, egg and coconut milk. YOU probably already try the boring version, however, the one I have tried in Spring Moon was memorable. The taste stayed in my mouth for few weeks.  If Pierre Herme is best at creating many different layer of tasting experience in one bite, the Spring Moon's ¥¤¬Ó¥] is best at bring out the long forgetten best flavour of few basic ingredient.

Strongly recommend .

www.peninsula.com

Ann

Thanks for a great post

• 5 months later...

according to my in-laws (who are local HK chinese) one of the best dim sum places is lin heung on wellington street in central.

it's an old cantonese eatery, and you would be excused if you thought that it looked a bit dodgy by it's appearance, but the dim sum is first class and very authentic. It's not just the dim sum either, the evening menu is great too,(try the 8 treasure duck [bat po ap]!! YUM!) so much so, that you may find it difficult to actually be able to get in, the place is always full (especially for the morning sessions!)

one recommendation though, if you do decide to visit lin heung, it's best if you have a cantonese speaker with you, as they don't have english menus, and the staff mostly don't speak english.

we go there regularly!

as for luk yu teahouse, forget it!...it's a gimmick, and the dim sum is really fatty and horrible, most people go there just for the tea, if you spot someone eating dim sum there, the chances are they are tourists who have been conned into going there by the fact that the HKTA have said that it's a good eatery..plus is soo expensive!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I will of course have lots of southern Chinese specialties on my upcoming trip to Hong Kong, but would also like to satisfy cravings for good, homestyle Sichuan or Hunan food, and dao shao mian (noodles handcut from a big dough block into boiling water). Chinese-only menu is not a problem and I don't care much about atmosphere as long as the food is memorable.

Also --- anyone tried the husband-wife Sichuan restaurant that was written up in Saveur last January (set meal, 2 seatings a night, she sings opera)?

Many thanks.

I can't recommend anywhere for 'good homestyle' Sichuan food in HK - it's all watered down for local tastes, never enough chilies or oil or Sichuan pepper. If you want real Sichuan it's necessary to cross the border. There are great cheap homestyle Sichuan places in all every industrial town up and down the Pearl River. A couple I like in Guangzhou are:

HuongGuaLiang Sichuan restaurant

#472 TianHe Road

Tel : 87514668

XiaoDuongTian Sichuan restaurant

ChuongZhing Building , #76 LuongLingXia Road

Tel : 87752091

My favorite:

Small Sky Cave Sichuan Restaurant (I don't know the Chinese name/address, but this one actually has an English menu)

Tel 87767856

All the above are about 1/5 the price of Hong Kong and far, far better foodwise.

Some serious foodie friends of mine have been to the husband-wife-opera place you mention, and they have been generally unexcited with the food. It's more of a novelty than a great meal.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Wang Lai Yuen in Whampoa Gourmet is very well known for dan dan mein. Everyone I know that's been there, loves it. I've tried to go there a couple times but have always been deterred by long lineups (which are a good sign, I guess!)

The owners ran the late great dan dan mein shack in Diamond Hill squatter area for 50 years, and haven't changed the recipe. Thanks for reminding me, I'll have to make another attempt to go there.

I've been to other HK branches of two of the other restaurants there, Spicy Crab and Guangdong BBQ. Both are good but no need to make a special trip to Hung Hom to visit them.

Link to all the restuarants at Whampoa Gourmet:

http://www.whampoaworld.com/choi_e.htm

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Oh, disturbing news about the husband-wife restaurant, as I have reservations for Sat.... Perhaps I'll stick to Cantonese.

No time for a hop across the border this trip, but thanks for the Guangzhou recs which I'll file away for future use.