• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hong Kong Restaurant Recommendations

cabrales

A HK menu item that always makes me carefully evaluate the surroundings, the season, and my chances in fast food places:

"hot dog" in Chinese characters. :biggrin:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Lemme guess, Irwin. Was it Maxim's? :biggrin:

Pam:

"Maxim's" is the most well known organization. It started with one location in the basement of the "Lane Crawford House" then opened a branch in the Arcade of the Mandarin Hotel, but originally was part of the Luk Hoi Tong Group that owned the "Luk Kwok Hotel" made famous in America featured in the movie "The World of Susie Wong", starring, "William Holden" and "Nancy Kwong"who both especially Nancy's parent's were good customers at "Lindy's". "Maxim's" is still owned by the "Wu" Family together with the "Hong Kong Land Company", apparently the World's Largest Real Estate Company.

It's a very different World of Fast Food, where Old Wifes Tales are mixed with Rumors and Traditions. A good example would be that in Cool Weather you can sell all beef "Hot Dogs" but in warm weather you can only sell all pork "Hot Dogs" because your Customers are convinced that beef makes your blood warm, good for the winter, but pork is suitable for hot weather. A popular Breakfast Treat is Canned Beans on White Bread with Marmite.

Coffee is best when sweetened with Sugar and Sweetened Condensed Milk. Iced Tea should only be sweetened with Sugar Syrup. The most popular "Hot Dogs" are from Denmark packed in cans then grilled that are almost the same size and shape as Vienna Canned Sausages.

The best and busiest Hong Kong fast food places are the Street side "Tai Pi Tong's" Food Stalls that often do more business then the largest Chain Restaurants. Some of these places serve really delicious quick, nutritious and healthy food amazingly fast prepared mostly prepared to order at low prices.

There are more rental unit's occupied by families and single people that don't bother with kitchens or prepare their own food as it cheaper, available almost 24/7 for quick delivery/pick up the dishes service or almost outside your door, even catered that eating out conveniently is a way of life for much of the population.

Irwin :unsure:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I was thinking about something that is unusual, interesting and particular to the Hong Kong Fast Food Marketing.

During the period that I lived in Hong Kong many Fast Food Chain Operations from all over the World attempted to enter the market.

What was interesting about this situation was that as consultants we were often called upon to offer advice and recommendations. Very often this was ignored by clients who proceeded without any consideration of our suggestions.

What resulted more often then not was that the operations failed after their initial attempt. Some that were persistent finally were able to succeed by being adaptable to the local market, others by investing large amounts of capitol and by persistent advertising, again with adaptations have succeeded.

My query is I'm wondering about how many attempts that has succeeded are still in business. and how many READERS, REMEMBER ALL THE CHAINS THAT FAILED.

Such as . "Wimpy's". "Spudnuts", "Angus Steak House", "Chicken Delight" and others.

Irwin

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

• 4 months later...

I'm heading to Hong Kong next week for nine days. I've looked at recommendations to restaurants in other threads, but I think I've missed Vietnamese recommendations. Anyone want to weigh in on the subject?

While you're at it, any recs on what foodstuffs or spices, kitchen tools to bring back?

Thanks for your help!

Cognito ergo consume - Satchel Pooch, Get Fuzzy

I am not sure if the Vietnamese food is very authentic in HK. I think Japanese food worths a try though, as HK ppl loves Japanese food, there are many restaurants hiring Japanese chef, and there is lots of competition, there can be some interesting places to go.

some Chinese place that worth trying:

- Modern China (Specialized in Sichuan/Beijing/Shanghai region food)

10 floor, Times Square, 1 Mantheson Street, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong (underground train station - MTR: Causewaybay, exit Times Square) tel: 2506 2525

It is quite a hot place for the locals, you need to book or at peak hour, wait in line to get into the restaurant. The food is more of modern Chinese style. Food is good. Price is average, total is less than HK$600 for 6 person.

- Eryi Tower (Specialized in Hakka food, Hakka is a southern China province)

1st floor Allied Kajima Building, 138 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong (MTR: Wanchai)

tel: 2511 1228

Since in HK, it is mostly specialized in Cantonese food, it is quite rare to find a Hakka restaurant. We found the food quite inspiring and interesting. Price is good too, around HK$60 per person.

- Tung's House

2nd floor, Pearl Oriental House, 60 Stanley Street, Central, Hong Kong 2571 5168

http://www.tungshouse.com

It is a 'private home restaurant'. It is a food trend started a few years ago in HK, some talented and passionate chefs who got fed up with the industry and start cooking for friends or for food lovers in their home, they never do any promotion or put any signage. But after a while, their good reputation spread, and people start coming despite they might not have license for operating restaurants. Usually, these type of restaurants aren't cheap, but they cook more refine and rare product. Tung's House have dinner menus for 4 starting from $6xxHKD - $9XX HKD.

As for things to take back, I think if you like Chinese cakes or pastries, you can try Kee Wah, shop address in their website. (http://www.kee-wah.com.hk). If you like cooking, maybe it is interesting to bring back some high quality dried food, like dried black mushroom (the better ones are coming from Japan) from some dried food stores in Sheung Wan. (but check your custom's rules before, countries like US are very strict with food import) Run into the local supermarket, Welcome or ParknShop, you can find some sauce that is interesting for cooking, like XO sauce. As for cooking utensils, maybe clay pot can be interesting to bring home. It gives a subtile different taste to food.

Hope this helps...

Edited by naf (log)

I am not sure if the Vietnamese food is very authentic in HK.

It isn't. Most Vietnamese restaurants in HK don't come up to the standards of a basic Vietnamese restaurant in the US, and aren't remotely in the same league as Saigon. There's one new Maxim's outlet called Rice Paper in Gateway Mall that's sort of modern/fusionish Vietnamese. It's at least stylish and not too expensive, but as is too often the case, the food is blanded down to suit Cantonese tastes.

Things to buy:

Kowloon Soy Sauce (mentioned in earlier threads) - I think it's safe to import to USA.

For tools and kitchen equipment, head to Shanghai St., where there's a cluster of kitchen equipment shops that cater to the trade but will sell to anyone. A good place to start is Chan Chi Kee http://www.chanchikee.com/ , and then just walk one block north or south for several more shops. Also more on parallel Reclamation St, 1 blk west. Anything from a Chinese style knife for $10 to a char siu roaster that will fit a whole pig is available. Try getting that into your carry-on....

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Hakka is NOT a southern Chinese province. The term literally means "guest people", indicative of a certain huge group of people who were dispossessed by one or another civil upheaval in Northern China and were doomed to migrate from their northern homelands into the south where, understandably they were not always welcomed. I repeat, the term Hakka is NOT a province.

Edited by Ben Hong (log)

If you like cooking, maybe it is interesting to bring back some high quality dried food, like dried black mushroom (the better ones are coming from Japan) from some dried food stores in Sheung Wan. (but check your custom's rules before, countries like US are very strict with food import)

I used to buy bags and bags of dried black mushrooms every time I went back to Hong Kong. But... prices of black mushrooms (dried Shiitake mushrooms) came down in prices and up in quality quite a bit in recent years. In the U.S. Asian grocery markets, a big bag of black mushrooms is priced at only about US $3.99 (the same item used to be over US $12.00). Therefore, I concluded that it would not worth my luggage space (and the energy to shop them in HK) to bring back black mushrooms.

On the other hand, I found what's worth buying and bringing back are those pickled/dried fruit snacks (e.g. pickled/dried plums, pickled/dried olives, pickled/dried lemons). I have shopped all over California's Asian markets and haven't discovered any that carries quality pickled/dried fruit snacks.

Not sure which country you are from, if it is the U.S., you are not allowed to bring in meat products. Dry squids are okay. (In general, dry seafood are okay). Or else I would buy and bring back some beef/pork jerkey.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Hakka is NOT a southern Chinese province. The term literally means "guest people", indicative of a certain huge group of people who were dispossessed by one or another civil upheaval in Northern China and were doomed to migrate from their northern homelands into the south where, understandably they were not always welcomed. I repeat, the term Hakka is NOT a province.

Ben, you are probably right about the origin of Hakka people, what I was saying was just repeating what was printed and translated on their name card. Probably that restaurant just specialized in Hakka food (in Chinese), the term "southern province food" (in English) is actually introduced by them.

• 1 month later...

If anyone has any favourite eating experiences they'd like to share, I'm going to Hong Kong for a week, I eat anything that's not endangered, I prefer cafes to fine dining and I'm staying in Tsim Sha Tsui (Miramar). I'm always up for something hot and pungent - any places out there like to fool with the fu yu? :wink:

If anyone has any favourite eating experiences they'd like to share, I'm going to Hong Kong for a week, I eat anything that's not endangered, I prefer cafes to fine dining and I'm staying in Tsim Sha Tsui (Miramar). I'm always up for something hot and pungent -  any places out there like to fool with the fu yu?  :wink:

Miramar ?? OK, its on Nathan Rd. Right across from Miramar on the 4th floor are a few really good restaurants - Specially the Yunyan Szechuan Restaurant.

In the basement by Miramar should be a couple of restaurant. Nearby, also in the basement is a very inexpensive dim-sum place for breakfast and good congee.

Go to Temple St., Night market to eat in hot pot cafes. In and around TST you'll find many small cafes/diner/dim sum places.

Since you are going to be there for a week; take a trip to the Lamma island and have a good seafood meal - If you go in a large group; order a set meal.

Really inexpensive meal can be had at Cheung Isl. too.

Sheraton,Intercontinental,Hyatt regency,Peninsula,Langham (in Kowloon) all have top notch restaurants.

A few blocks off Nathan Rd. on Peking Rd you'll find some inexpensive but excellent restaurants.

I was in HKG/MAC in January for a week or so -

anil

You could have some good Dou Fa (soy bean curd) in shamsuipo (near the wet market) and don't forget the fresh egg tarts from the local bakeries (dirt cheap and piping hot!).

If you are going to be in the TST area, there is this little hawker centre off the side of Hankow Road. It kinda grimy looking but has a decent offering. It's across from the HMV and Yue Hwa (sorta near canton ave if memory serves me correct).

:huh: who's teh moderator on the chinese forum??

we should start pinning a threads about where to eat in HK macau Shanghai etc

and pin one for recipes. blah! blah! :wink:

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

From living in HK for a number of years, here are some of my personal favorites.

Farmhouse in Causeway Bay - NOT to be mistaken for the crappy chain of fast food with yellow signage. Farmhouse specializes in home style Cantonese food has always been consistenly excellent. Chicken wings stuffed with sticky rice and red braised spareribs are always excellent. Kind of the middle high end of dining - but the food is truly excellent.

Victoria City (Harbour) for Dim Sum located in the Sung Hung Kai center in Wanchai. May be difficult to get a table - but your hotel should be able to help you out. They have a flower crab steamed in chinese wine that is delicous!

Boys Scout Tower - there is an excellent Dim Sum place on the TST side with very good dim sum in the Boys Scout building just on the edge of Kowloon park. Very close to the Miramar Hotel. Prices are good and with relatively civilized surroundings.

Australian Dairy Company - located on Parkes (Jordan MTR stop) again very close to the Miramar. Believe it or not - this place has the most delicous scrambled eggs - light, moist and fluffy. I am completely convinced that the waiters are all gang guys and they work there as a way to collect their 'dues'.

If you want something a little more local - try Tung Bao (Eastern Treasure) located on the third floor of the Java Road food market. Ignore the vendors that try to seat you when enter the doors - and head to where the crowds are. Crispy skinned chicken and rice wrapped in lotus leaves are very very good. Gives you the street experience without health issues.

You may be wandering around Lang Kwai Fong which is where all the expat bars and night clubs are - look for the Honolulu bakery which has wicked baked egg custard tarts.

I would be very careful about getting too local. Temple street is very cool - but even I (chinese guy) would never eat in the street stalls. Hepatitis is a real issue in Asia. But you may be braver than I.

If you want to make it easy on yourself and get a fun cross section of HK - take the central escalator up the HK side and explore some of the side streets. Alot of expat type places but they are funky and fun. Or take one of may ferries to the outlying island from the central terminal. Alot of people still like going out to Lamma Island to eat seafood - you pick out your live seafood and they will cook to your specfications. Again - be careful of cleanliness - let common sense be your guide.

The subway system (MTR) is excellent and will make getting around very easy.

HK is a great city to visit - have a great time!

Check out the "strangest thing you've eaten" thread to get the gist of things you might want to avoid (or search out) in Hong Kong... I would guess close to a third of the "strangest things" were found and ingested while in Hong Kong or surrounding areas!

Edited by Jambalyle (log)

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

:huh:  who's teh moderator on the chinese forum??

we should start pinning a threads about where to eat in HK macau Shanghai etc

and pin one for recipes. blah! blah! :wink:

Sorry - did I post this in the wrong place? I'm something of a chatroom virgin, so be gentle with me :rolleyes:

I'm going to Hong Kong for a week, I eat anything that's not endangered, I prefer cafes to fine dining and I'm staying in Tsim Sha Tsui (Miramar)....

gallery_19795_163_21946.jpg

Hotel Miramar is roughly where the X mark is.

If you walk down the street in the area labelled "A", you will quite a few local Chinese eateries, including some selling hairy crabs when in season, and hot pots with table set up right on the street after dark. This is an early-developed area in Tsim Sha Tsui (before I was born in the 50's). If you like Indonesian food, there is a restaurant named (with not much imagination) "Indonesian Restarant". They have been around for a long time (probably over 30 years). I think their food is very good.

If you cross the Chatham Road South to the area labelled "B", you are in Tsim Sha Tsui East - an area developed since the mid 70's. You will find many hotels and business buildings, with big restaurants on the ground floor, basement or inside Hotels. Just follow your nose and eyes and spot any eateries crowded with locals... usually those are the ones with good quality and reasonable prices.

Area C is Harbor City/Ocean Terminal/China Ferry Terminal and such. There are a few restaurants with street front, and many more inside the mall. Those are more up-scale, fine-dining class. There is a famous Thai restaurant "Golden Elephant" I think... may be the English name is a bit different, right along Canton Road. Supposed to be good but I have never tried it. Again, suite yourself and just eat at whatever appeals to you.

Area D is where Regent Hotel and New World Hotel are. You can find some restaurants inside Regent ($$$) which provides unobstructed close-up view of the Victoria Harbor, if that's what interests you. There are some lounges at the top floor. Beautiful night scene.

And the night market at Temple Street is about 1/4 north of where I marked "E". It's worth visiting (for just the experience, bargain shopping, and the street food - if you have the stomach to handle it).

You guys are the best. I'm off to get my plane. I aim to return heavier. Thanks for the suggestions and the links. I'll report back...

You are welcome, have a good flight, yadeyadeyada...

Take lots of pictures, and please post some. Would love to see how you view Hong Kong and the food there through the eyes of a visitor.

• 5 months later...

We are going to VN for three weeks in November and stopping in HK for three days. We would love any recommendations for restaurants and key places to see in HK in only three days. I have seen an earlier thread with recommendations but those places seemed to be geared towards couples on expense account. I definitely don't mind the cost but I'll be traveling with my parents who are in their late 60s and my son who is 28 mos. old. So, I need some places that would be comfortable and casual enough to accommodate children. We are Asians so we are pretty adventurous and would like an authentic Chinese experience even if the ambience is not great. (Unless someone tells me there are some to die for non-Chinese places, I thought we would stick to Chinese restaurants.)

Lastly, I've bought some guidebooks but the reviewers on Amazon indicated that the accuracy on a lot of these books leave a lot to be desire. Is there any essential guide that someone can recommend beyond the Insight/Frommers/LP/Rough Guide?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!