• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Joel Robuchon - Las Vegas - Mansion & L'Atelier

Nope, not open yet. I don't know when they are scheduled to open, but there are still quite a few positions still not filled according to the listings. By the way, there will be two restaurants: the more "casual" L'Atelier and the seriously upscale Robuchon at the Mansion (not sure if that's the final name).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really interested if somebody's been to L'Atelier for the tasting menu. I saw the extended tasting menu, which looked really great....but pricey. I think that it was about $200pp (somehow I remember $235 pp, but I'm unsure). ANYONE?

Think before you drink.......I think I'll have another!

• 3 weeks later...

Joel Robuchon at the Mansion opened on Monday. There was an article in the New York Times today (see link below). According to the article, there are two set menus: one 9-course menu for $165 and a 16-course menu for $295. In the website for the MGM Grand you can actually look and they have the menus for both Joel Robuchon and L'Atelier.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/26/dining/26vega.html

Arley Sasson

• 2 months later...

Los Angeles Times food critic S. Irene Virbila wrote her review of Joël Robuchon at the Mansion, titled Las Vegas, lighted by stars, dated 28 Dec. 2005:

Viewing the LA Times website, www.latimes.com, requires registration. If that is unacceptable, try clicking this link here, enter the URL address of the LA Times and proceed accordingly. Some content is in the premium section called www.calendarlive.com, which requires an additional fee.

... It's unmistakably the touch of Joël Robuchon, the three-star Michelin chef who closed his Paris restaurant and retired almost a decade ago at the height of his fame. And yet here I am, in the most unlikely place on the planet having one of the greatest French meals I've ever had in this country. And Robuchon's name is above the door.

The entire experience at Joël Robuchon is pure pleasure. Everything together — the food, the room, the service, the company — is the definition of true luxury ... this is one restaurant where I'd unhesitatingly spend my own money for a special occasion. It's worth it.

Joël Robuchon at the Mansion was given a 4* rating.

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Robuchon photos

Some photos of a recent meal at the mansion-I have been hearing amazing things

This is the small fall tasting menu on December 29:

Lemon gelee flavored with vanilla and topped with anisette cream

Duo of shaved truffles and potatoes infused with olive oil, foie gras carpaccio

Green asparagus topped with Oscetra caviar

Tuna tartar, col red bell pepper confit with bergamot and dry cured ham

zucchini and black olives cannelloni with white truffle

frog leg fritter with small Chanterelles

Medley of aromates in a mild spicy broth

Porcini flan topped with a light garlic and parsley veloute

Pan-fried sea bass with a lemon grass foam and stewed baby leeks

Amadai in a lily bulb broth

Brittany lobster under a disappearing saffron hostie in a seafood bouillon

Duck foie gras and gall vegetables in a green cabbage ravioli

Sauteed veal chop with natural jus and vegetable taglierinis flavored with pesto

Confit of lamb with a Mediterranean flavored whear semoule

Exotic fruit cocktail, Malibu rum ice cream

Warm chocolate, corree perfumed coca morsels

Espresso

Good Eating,

Molto E

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

• 3 weeks later...

Marty,

Those were not my pictures. I do have a whole report coming including an interview with JR and photos. The price for the 16 course tasting is $350. I would say this was my all time best meal......details to follow

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

I just wanted to mention that I will be starting as a pastry cook at Robuchon next week. So any reports you hear from me in the future may need to be adjusted for bias :biggrin: . Don't know my exact duties yet, but L'Atelier and Robuchon at the Mansion share pastry staff, so I will probably be working on stuff for both sides.

nightscotsman,

Congratulations!!

I would have written it in bold with huge letters, but that might have been a bit much.

Neil, I am so happy for you. If it's all right, I wouldn't mind hearing your interview process. When did you first entertain the notion of working for Robuchon? Does this mean that you get to work "normal" hours now?

Again, Congratulations!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Thanks!

After 2 years at Bellagio, I felt like I had pretty much learned what I came there for, and unless I could get a promotion to assistant (not likely for several more years), it was time to move on. I've been talking to my chefs about this for a couple months and I actually had an offer from another restaurant that I was considering, when Chef said he had called over to Robuchon and sent me over for an interview. With his recommendation, I had a short chat with pastry chef Kamel Guechida basically discussing how soon I could start. There were a few glitches along the way, but things finally worked out.

I don't have my schedule yet, but chances are good I'll be working nights instead early, early morning. I can finally stay up late enough to go out to dinner :smile: .

Just wondering (I'm not sure if this LV forum would be the place to ask),

Where do you all consider as the current Joel Robuchon's best restaurant?

Would it be:

Chateau Restaurant Joel Robuchon (Tokyo) or

Joel Robuchon at the Mansion (Las Vegas) or

Robuchon a Galera (Macau) or

La Table de Joel Robuchon (Paris) or

Restaurant Joel Robuchon (Monte Carlo) or ...

Has anyone been to L'Atelier yet?  We'll be in Las Vegas in March and I'm considering it for our first night there since I don't think we'll be up for the full Mansion experience.

(Please see above for disclaimer, but...) I had a fantastic dinner at L'Atelier a couple weeks ago. One of my top five of all time. Went for the 9 course tasting at $105 and every dish was amazing. Expensive, but really worth it.

Be warned that most of the seating is at a long counter that gives a great view of the action in the open kitchen. Sort of sushi bar style. There are a few regular tables as well, but I don't think they take reservations for them.

Has anyone been to L'Atelier yet?  We'll be in Las Vegas in March and I'm considering it for our first night there since I don't think we'll be up for the full Mansion experience.

(Please see above for disclaimer, but...) I had a fantastic dinner at L'Atelier a couple weeks ago. One of my top five of all time. Went for the 9 course tasting at $105 and every dish was amazing. Expensive, but really worth it.

Be warned that most of the seating is at a long counter that gives a great view of the action in the open kitchen. Sort of sushi bar style. There are a few regular tables as well, but I don't think they take reservations for them.

How formal is the room? We'd be going pretty soon after arriving so I don't think people are going to want to spend too much time getting ready. That being said, we certainly won't show up in sweatpants :wink:

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

How formal is the room? We'd be going pretty soon after arriving so I don't think people are going to want to spend too much time getting ready. That being said, we certainly won't show up in sweatpants :wink:

I don't think I would go in jeans or a t-shirt, but it seems quite casual. Business casual - certainly jackets and ties aren't required.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the article link. Nice write up, but I think he seriously undermines his opinions by saying "Las Vegas is to chefs what Broadway is to theater people: the center of the universe". New York and Paris are now the culinary "sticks"? There are some great restaurants here, but this statement is just silly.

I do completely agree with his line: "Aha! So this is what it's supposed to taste like". Thast's exactly what I thought several times when I ate at L'Atelier.