• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Totem Lake

It depends what type of food and quality, of course. But other than going to the deli at Larry's market, you may need to go to Jauanita to the Juanita Cafe. Or in Kirkland to Park Place Shopping center where you can get everything from great Sushi at Riki Riki to bistro fare at Purple Cafe (the lobster Macaroni and Cheese with a fine white wine is very tasty). There also are many good if not great restaurants in the main part of downtown Kirkland. You are somewhat isolated in Totem Lake and may need to move out further to find civilization!

Ed

“Cooking should be a carefully balanced reflection of all the good things of the earth.”

Oh...this made me laugh. Totem Lake-that is just harsh. I grew up a mile past there and even as a kid I knew that Totem Lake was a sorry place. At least you have a Trader Joe's. Don't let any co-workers talk you into Cafe Veloce. It is, inexplicably, my dad's favorite "Italian" place and it is just terrible.

It has been YEARS since I've been to the Golden Goat but I used to like lunch there (they HAD two granita machines and made amazing seasonal fruit granitas, but that was a long time ago). Going via 132nd and then down the hill past Chateau St. Michelle, the traffic might be light enough to make it on your lunch hour.

I think the Golden Goat has gone way down hill in recent years. My 405 exit is six miles north of Totem Lake, and I am surprised that no one has mentioned the very acme of Totem Lake dining: I refer of course to Old Country Buffet. And so very conveniently located in the 'mall'!

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

...usually end up going to Izumi  for sushi.

12539 116TH Ave NE

Kirkland, WA

Yes! I forgot about this little place...
Malarkey I posted about this little lunch place recently

lunch in totem lake

I have noticed this place, and there is a menu up at work. I'll have to check this out.
My kirkland geography is pretty floppy... is this place anywhere near you?

OMG YES! this is very close, and is very high on my list of places to try.
Sushi at Riki Riki  to bistro fare at Purple Cafe (the lobster Macaroni and Cheese with a fine white wine is very tasty).

Wow, this one might be the choice. I'm meeting some folks today for lunch, they've asked me to choose. If I can get them to come to Kirkland, we might do this little place.
At least you have a Trader Joe's. Don't let any co-workers talk you into Cafe Veloce.
LOL somehow I felt this place had AVOID written all over it. LOL yes I am thrilled there's a Trader Joe's for after work shopping-for-dinner stuff!
the very acme of Totem Lake dining: I refer of course to Old Country Buffet.

Why, OF COURSE!! And, it is a sponsor of one of my favorite local equestrian organizations: Hillbilly Farms! Edited by malarkey (log)

Born Free, Now Expensive

Sampled 3 tacos from Rancho Bravo today, pollo, carne asada, and al pastor. YUM!!! Sooo glad to find this close to work!

They do a kickin' business. I waited in line and most people in front of me were obviously making large orders for their co-workers. Overheard from the guy in front of me: "I'll take 7 beef tacos, 6 burritos, 4 tortas..."

Born Free, Now Expensive

I'm also happy to report that the Purple Cafe is a very nice Kirkland choice. Had lunch there today- Had the BLTA and a glass of pinot noir :rolleyes:

Food is good, lots of variety on the menu, sandwiches, pizzas, a whole sheet of cheese & wine pairings, good by the glass choices. I'll be back!

Born Free, Now Expensive

And if you are ever in Woodinville, Purple has another cafe at the Hollywood Schoolhouse intersection, just east of Columbia, St. Michelle, the Herbfarm and Redhook. Although in that same area, my wife and I are partial to the Lowell-Hunt wine cafe, just north of the Hollywood Schoolhouse.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I think the Golden Goat has gone way down hill in recent years. 

We eat at the Golden Goat occasionally and while I can't speak to how good it was a few years back, we've had some good meals there this year. They're now offering wine sales through an email list and associated with that they have occasional wine maker dinners. We went to one of these a few weeks back and by pure chance got seated next to the winemaker himself. We didn't get any extra wine from the proximity (well, at least not much) but he was a friendly fellow and the food was all quite good. We're going to another winemaker dinner there in two weeks.

have eaten at Cocorino twice now. Chicken Salad is excellent, lots of fresh herbs, very tasty. Only marred by my suspicion that they microwaved the bread. (you know that chewy tough, can't quite bite through it thing?) Micros do horrible things to bread. With a fresh piece of ciabiatta, this sandwich would rock. Leave off the side salad though.

Also had the salad nicoise on another day. ugh. flaws include: they use california black olives, romaine lettuce, low grade tuna. a salad not to be repeated. I worry about this place: there are obviously only two people working there, and even with the place barely half full, they can't keep up. no way to bus your own table, ordering is slow. I'd like to see them survive, other stuff on the menu looks promising. I'll report back next time I go.

Born Free, Now Expensive