• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

one dish meals that leave leftovers?

dvs

every week i like to cook a one dish meal that leaves a couple nights worth of leftovers... lasagna, meatloaf, roasted chicken...

anyone have any others i can whip up to help me out of my rut?

tia!!

Fried chicken makes great leftovers! But one has to make sure that the remaining pieces are whisked rapidly into the kitchen to make sure there are leftovers! :laugh:

Any dish that I don't make well results in leftovers but looking at it a second time can be very depressing ... :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I was browsing on Recipe Gullet earlier today and saw this one, which looks like it might fit the bill!

Fricasseed Chicken with Vinegared Peppers

Roast chicken is a classic - it can be eaten alone, in salads, in pastas...yum. I'm a huge fan of breakfast for dinner, and, even though it's not a one-dish meal, I usually make a double batch of waffles and freeze them. They're great as dinner, dessert, whatever, and they freeze really well.

Meatballs are also a good call. They, like chicken, can be eaten alone, with pasta, on a sandwich...

Do you have a grill? When I lived at home, we would always grill extra chicken or steak, and then eat that over the course of the week, usually in what my family calls "leftover salad." It's still a huge favorite with me. Plus, if you're already grilling, it takes such little work to throw a couple of boneless breasts on there.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

chilli baked with a cornbread cobbler type topping, really good the next day (and sometimes the day after)

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

All I seem to talk about is roast pork lately.

What does that mean? :blink:

Anyway. Roast pork. As easy to make as a roast chicken and twice as good.

If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, you can have a cubano (Cuban sandwich) for supper the next day with some black bean soup (which of course you have made ahead and frozen :biggrin: ) and some dulche de leche ice cream for dessert and if there are any bits left over after that, travel on to Chinese food the next day for roast pork lo mein with a starter of (so-easy-to-make) egg drop soup with maybe some lychees, strawberries and almond cookies for dessert.

Most braises will leave leftovers and braises are always improved the second day around. Pot roast, pork shoulder, beef ribs. With the pot roast and pork shoulder braises you can put the potatoes and vegetables in the same pot to braise, creating your one pot meal.

Left over pot roast can be made into beef dip sandwhiches for example, or reheated as is with some of the left over sauce.

Chili.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

All of the above. Especially the pork roast rolled with anything else in a tortilla.

Add to that . . . This summer I must have done Eggplant Gratin a dozen times. I have it once for dinner (just me) then the rest goes into a pressed sandwich with extra olive oil for the next day's excursion. I have made it without the sausage more often than not.

Another one that has been requested several times was Crab Boil Corned Beef. Leftovers are certainly used for sandwiches and any other scraps become corned beef has served with eggs.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Oven-poach some salmon in white wine with aromatic vegetables.

Serve with. . .whatever. White and wild rice pilaf? If you really really mean just one-dish meal then accompany by some pickled beets perhaps and some warmed rolls.

The next day you can top some orzo cooked and cooled and tossed with a lemony dressing with the cold salmon. . .or even just serve it with sliced cucumbers and tomatoes and a mustard-mayo and some breadsticks. Either way, if it bores you too much this way, add a few steamed cooled shrimp.

If you still have some and still are in the mood, make a salmon salad for lunch. . .tossed with a parsley-caper mayo. . .or mixed with a curry-yogurt mayo. . .sandwich between black bread or fill a pita and add lettuce.

Invest in a Crock-Pot. They're often at yard sales, or are easy enough to find on eBay. Even a new one isn't so expensive. It makes all manner of truly ONE DISH meals and is fun to experiment with. Plus, you load it up, walk away, and come home to a freshly made dinner with leftovers. What could be better than that? :cool:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Invest in a Crock-Pot.  They're often at yard sales, or are easy enough to find on eBay.  Even a new one isn't so expensive.  It makes all manner of truly ONE DISH meals and is fun to experiment with.  Plus, you load it up, walk away, and come home to a freshly made dinner with leftovers.  What could be better than that? :cool:

There are very few things in this world better than coming home to the smell of a Crock-Pot creation after a horrible work day. :wub:

thanks guys!! the corned beef idea is spot on for my mad skillz ;)

and i am intrigued by the crock pot ideas... i have never had anything from a crock pot... are they really as idiot proof as they seem??

Crockpots are a wonderous thing. I use mine constantly in the winter for stews, chillis, spagetti sauce and onion confit. Before I began braising, I regularly did pot roasts. Spareribs are amazing done in the crock pot as well. There's nothing better than being able to turn on the pot in the morning, and come home to wonderful smells and dinner ready.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Fry porky sausages till browned, set aside. Fry a chopped onion, stir in Puy lentils, herbs, crushed garlic, thyme, chopped tomatoes, chopped carrots, courgette chunks, grilled peppers, (etc etc - whatever you have on hand + like with lentils). Spread in the bottom of a baking dish, pour over stock, maybe some red wine. Lie sausages on top + bake till lentils cooked through - you may need to cover with foil for a bit.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

This is traditional:

Sunday - roast beef or lamb (or chicken or even a ham)

Monday Cold meat - salad, pickles

Tuesday Cottage pie or Lasgne or Spag boll

Wednesday Croquettes or rissoles or filled pancakes (from the remains of the cottage pie or the bolognaise sauce)

Thursday Soup (bones and trimmings) baked potato

Friday Curry or meat and potato pie (remnants of stock pot)

Edited by jackal10 (log)

and i am intrigued by the crock pot ideas... i have never had anything from a crock pot... are they really as idiot proof as they seem??

Yes. Yes, they really are. Generally I use mine to give me a jump start on a meal. I put whole chickens (or chicken parts) in with some onion, celery, carrots and a little liquid... when I get home I can go 100 different directions from there. I really like mine for pork shoulder tho'.

BTW... fantastic avatar dvs.

Edited by lesfen (log)

Yes. Yes, they really are. Generally I use mine to give me a jump start on a meal. I put whole chickens (or chicken parts) in with some onion, celery, carrots and a little liquid... when I get home I can go 100 different directions from there. I really like mine for pork shoulder tho'.

BTW... fantastic avatar dvs.

thanks ;)

i'm gonna have to pick me up a crock pot it'd seem...