• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martha!

Lesley C

Just caught the new Martha! live show.

Very odd intro with Burnett and opening credits where the whole "I'm Martha!" thing is played up BIG TIME.

It started with Martha walking onto the set in unflattering jeans holding a dog, followed by the whole staff showing off their gold prison-style ankle bracelets (so much for pretending the prison thing didn't happen).

Then Martha rambled on a bit -- rather uncomfortably -- describing the show, followed by a nice feature on New Orleans stories they had done in the past.

Then I had to take a call and missed the rest of the show.

Anyone else see it? I think I like the old format better -- and maybe the old Martha better too.

unflattering jeans holding a dog, followed by the whole staff showing off their gold prison-style ankle bracelets
Classic Mark Burnett .. glitzy reality (an oxymoron if there ever was one!) ..

Ultimately, I believe, or maybe just optimistically believe, that the best shot that Martha has is to be herself ... and I had no problem or issues with the "old Martha" ... she was a classic who wanted to teach others how to make food. and it was that which I always enjoyed. No tricky, faux gimmicks .. just try making a dish as she did ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Today was Martha Stewart Light. It seems to promise a daytime talk show different from others in that it all takes place in her studio kitchen sans couches. It would be unfair to generalize this to the future, but today was disappointing though funny in unintended ways. (BTW:This is a report from someone who really liked the old Martha show.) This show needs more unreconstructed Martha who really is into the do-it nuts & bolts of life while she only pretends to be interested in people unless (like her) they give themselves over to doing someting really well.

She had two guests segments, one, "Brie" from Desperate Housewives was interesting only in that she represented in her real life the absolute opposite of Brie. In fact, the whole episode came off as a kind of extended advert for the upcoming season premier of the show. They did two demo's. One was teaching Brie to make scrambled eggs (duh) and then learning how to serve them in eggshells as if someone who proclaimed she never cooked was about to serve scrambled eggs to her new lover (see Martha holding up his picture). But the real hoot was Martha teaching Brie how to fold tee-shirts (sorry, I don't know the actress' name) while Brie couldn't even pretend to be interested much less try to do it. :unsure::rolleyes::rolleyes::blink:

The second was an Oprah-esque drop-in on a couple sisters making an Italian family dinner, who then later appeared on the TV show live. It's best moments were Martha obsessing on all the weeds in their garden. :laugh::wub:

Now the old show did have celebrities and ordinary folk, not to mention characters from Sesame Street, of which we are promised more. But if you used to tune in to Martha to pick up any useful info, this first show does not promise what you're looking for. It may pick up, but I think the future is fortold by the change from professional restaurant stoves and ovens to GE's Monogram series.

edited to prove I know future has two "u's."

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

That's three votes for the old Martha and zero for the newer, improved one ... :rolleyes:

Classic with a just touch of arrogance .. that's the one I learned from ...

sorry, I don't know the actress' name

Bree Van De Kamp (Marcia Cross) was once described, accurately, as Martha Stewart on steroids ... :shock:

One of the strengths of the old Martha show was her segments with chefs like Eric Ripert and Daniel Boulud. I can't imagine anything but quickie useless recipes coming out of this tense, live format.

I mean, how the heck is she going to make a croquembouche in five minutes?

Edited by Lesley C (log)

One of the strengths of the old Martha show was her segments with chefs like Eric Ripert and Daniel Boulud. I can't imagine anything but quickie useless recipes coming out of this tense, live format.

Say what you will about the woman, and when she appeared out of the kitchen, I've had some unflattering things to say. When that woman was cooking, or dealing with serious chefs however, she was talented, dedicated and admirable.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Thought you might all enjoy the commentary New York media gossip blog Gawker has been giving to the new (And un-improved?) version of Martha Stewart.

HI-larious. :laugh:

I myself have not seen the new show, but think I will program my VCR to tape it for a few days this week...there is absolutely no way I can miss the P. Diddy (Or is it just Diddy now?) segment. Uh-uh, no sir.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Say what you will about the woman, and when she appeared out of the kitchen, I've had some unflattering things to say. When that woman was cooking, or dealing with serious chefs however, she was talented, dedicated and admirable.

Agreed. "Here's what we'll be making today. Here's how you do it. Here it is, and it's a damn good thing." Done. Wonderful food, no yuk-yuk's, no cutsey names for ingredients, no catch phrases... ok, one catch phrase... and I'll still take 10 Martha's over any one of those other annoying gits.

That said... I have no interest in seeing her new show. She doesn't really stike me as a "live format" kinda gal. I'm guessing that breezy banter isn't her cup of tea. I'd like to keep the "old Martha" fresh in my mind.

I myself have not seen the new show, but think I will program my VCR to tape it for a few days this week...there is absolutely no way I can miss the P. Diddy (Or is it just Diddy now?) segment.  Uh-uh, no sir.

Shut up. Diddy? Damn it. I really don't want to watch her new show... but somehow I don't think I'll be able to stop myself. Trainwreck television in the making.

Gawker has been giving to the new (And un-improved?) version of Martha Stewart.

They, Gawker, got it just right .. and one day, after all this nonsense bites the dust, you will see something more like her former persona emerge ... When Emeril did a scripted sit com, he failed miserably .. and it ended quickly ... some people are best as they truly are originally .. better and improved is often not an option for them ..

ooooh I'm so looking forward to seeing it! Many a fabulous sleep I have enjoyed listening to the evenly modulated tones of Satan...I mean Martha.

I have missed her and I really mean it.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

I myself have not seen the new show, but think I will program my VCR to tape it for a few days this week...there is absolutely no way I can miss the P. Diddy (Or is it just Diddy now?) segment.  Uh-uh, no sir.

Shut up. Diddy? Damn it. I really don't want to watch her new show... but somehow I don't think I'll be able to stop myself. Trainwreck television in the making.

Martha and Diddy? Shut up indeed, Girlfriend. Damn, I wish I had a working TV. (Thought Sean had a thing for Hispanic beauties--got the new Vogue today, all ten pounds of it and he's nuzzling Penelope Cruz. Martha is lovely, but she is the farthest possible type from a sultry nubile Latina! Penelope, JLo, Martha. I am busting a gut at the cynicism of TV.

Guess I'll have to miss her talking about peonies. Sigh.

I suspect that Martha for the first time in her hard-headed career has made a bad choice here, though I guess it sounded great when she was behind bars. She's smart. I think sheill be back to her own educational mission soon enough after this silliness bombs. I hope so. For ten years she taught this country that cooking and gardening and making a pretty home are noble aims. And it was never ten minute makeover with Martha.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Just like Lesley I only saw the beginning of the show..........I could hear the rest of the show but couldn't view it.

It was dissapointing, I could have dropped what I was doing if the show sounded really interesting and watched it, but I didn't bother. I did see the New Orleans clips but they were just clips with no info......boring. I didn't like any of the background music choices, they sounded cheap and canned.

My best guess is that Martha will let Burnett run the show to give him a chance to prove his vision. Isn't he the genious of TV? But when the number of viewers don't come in I think she'll be smart enough to dump his outline and go with what she knows her loyal viewers want.

I wonder if her people are scoping the net looking for chatter to see what people thought of the shows format.........I just don't see her letting this go down in flames.

Martha and Diddy? Shut up indeed, Girlfriend. Damn, I wish I had a working TV.

I will definitely tape the Diddy episode (unless it's today and I missed it, in which case - oops), and do my best to summarize it for all who may miss it. Something tells me it will be both intentionally and unintentionally full of all kinds of hilarity.

Gawker may also do a play by play - I'll keep an eye out and keep you all posted.

Edited to add: OK, Just checked the Martha website, and Diddy is on this Thursday. Oooooh, baby. Here we go!

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

there is absolutely no way I can miss the P. Diddy (Or is it just Diddy now?) segment.  Uh-uh, no sir.

First it was Puffy. Then Sean "Puffy" Combs. Then P. Diddy, which I think stood for "Puffy Diddy". Then Sean "P. Diddy" Combs. Then just Diddy. Next up, he'll just be a glyph, like Prince was at one point.

As for Martha, did she really think overexposing herself like this was the cure for her post-prison PR needs? This, with the MarthApprentice show on top of it? (and yes, we should probably have a seperate topic for that--we had one for the food aspects of The Donald's show as well)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

If you check out some "less sophisticated" forums you'll find a lot of people liked both "new" Martha and the new show.

(DISCLAIMER: SB has tripled his money on MSO stock over the past year, which inclines him to cut Martha a little slack) :biggrin:

Now the old show did have celebrities and ordinary folk, not to mention characters from Sesame Street, of which we are promised more. But if you used to tune in to Martha to pick up any useful info, this first show does not promise what you're looking for. It may pick up, but I think the future is fortold by the change from professional restaurant stoves and ovens to GE's Monogram series.

Speaking of Sesame Street, her website tells me that Elmo will be on today:

It's Poncho Day and everyone in the studio audience, the crew, comedian David Spade, and Martha are cloaked in knitted ponchos like the one Martha made famous when she left Alderson. Martha unveils her microwave recipes. And the loveable, furry, red Sesame Street Muppet, Elmo, crafts while wearing his poncho.

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

(DISCLAIMER:  SB has tripled his money on MSO stock over the past year, which inclines him to cut Martha a little slack) :biggrin:

My mom bought some of her stock back when she first went public, and she's stuck with it all this time. She's a very happy camper this year, too. :cool:

Speaking of Sesame Street, her website tells me that Elmo will be on today:

It's Poncho Day and everyone in the studio audience, the crew, comedian David Spade, and Martha are cloaked in knitted ponchos like the one Martha made famous when she left Alderson. Martha unveils her microwave recipes. And the loveable, furry, red Sesame Street Muppet, Elmo, crafts while wearing his poncho.

How's that for synergy? Wowza. Nothing like a children's entertainment icon sporting the products of prison knitting.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

Queenie Takes Manhattan

People, please:  Martha's going-home poncho is crocheted, not knitted.

Signed,

Inveterate Crocheter

Oops.

I am interested to see what goodies come out of that kitchen, though. The marble countertops alone had me drooling.

Queenie Takes Manhattan

People, please:  Martha's going-home poncho is crocheted, not knitted.

Signed,

Inveterate Crocheter

Oops.

I am interested to see what goodies come out of that kitchen, though. The marble countertops alone had me drooling.

So far, nothing good. All stuff microwaved in plastic dishes today - ala prison. They even cored their apples for baked apples with PLASTIC KNIVES!!

I must say, though, that I really enjoyed the show. :blink:

I don't know if it was the back and forth between martha and david spade, or the fact that she was really making fun of herself, but I was amused and entertained the whole time.

Hopefully, there will be some good food on in the future (not microwaved nachos made with dehydrated refried beans and cheese grated on a contraband sardine tin that she punched ragged holes in...), b/c I think the show itself was kind of funny.

Oh, and as an off-topic aside, I was a little disturbed when she told viewers to let their children do the entire craft project on their own. The craft project involved an iron on the second to the highest setting. I won't be letting MY child do that anytime in the future!!

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

I definitely do not care for the audience format. As much as I like Martha it's a bit unsettling looking at her creepy, adoring, stepford-wive clones. Yick. I want my Martha straight up, in a garden or renovated farmhouse kitchen teaching me neato tricks with apples and paint. :smile:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I am really disappointed with all of the choices on tv she is making. I haven't seen any of the shows, but The Apprentice... puh-lease (yuck!) I was hoping she would just go back to doing her regular shows! I just subscribed to her magazine again, and for the most part, it seems like "normal." Hopefully, the shows will fail and she will go back to the norm!

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Why is Martha letting them turn her into a parody of her former self? I have never been a fan, but always a staunch admirer -- I respected tremendously her choice to always do things well, and her pursuit of excellence.

Reading this thread has sent me into a tailspin, because this show is clearly making a mockery of all that.

Perhaps she is addressing it all with a sense of humor, but it doesn't sound as if it plays well on television. I have to see this for myself. I'm afraid.

Jennifer L. Iannolo

Founder, Editor-in-Chief

The Gilded Fork

Food Philosophy. Sensuality. Sass.

Home of the Culinary Podcast Network

Never trust a woman who doesn't like to eat. She is probably lousy in bed. (attributed to Federico Fellini)