• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Martini's in the City

j_edge

Caperberry? Sounds too much like further development is being done on a product that needs no more. Just like fries, why are people working on battered fries and curly fries, plain old fries were good enough, no further development work was needed.

And this is just a guess, I could be wrong, but I like the surface area that a green olive gives. I suspect the interior dimension plays a significant role.

A caperberry is about the same size and color as an olive. It has a stem and a similar flavor-- slightly different texture. Visually pleasing. This is not heresy like, say, Vodka!!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Which bars in town carry Plymouth Gin. I re-discovered Plymouth over my vacation ... even got my formerly gin-hating wife to like G&T mad with Plymouth!

I believe the Hamilton Street Grill carries it. Is it a standard or something special?

Although I'm a Beefeater gin girl - I would be willing to give the Plymouth a swirl. I believe I've only seen Plymouth in Seattle.

Well, chef Nwyles, is it something you carry?

s

You can buy Plymouth in even crappy liquor stores. And it's cheap. Not really suitable for a G&T though. Not really unsuitable either, just kinda overkill. The lime and Tonic play a far larger role than the gin, and I come from the equal measure school of thought.

It has a slightly lower alcohol level and I think it was one of the first "London" gins. It was Churchill's favorite. Very smooth and perfect for a dry martini (in my opinion). I agree with you on the G&T--overkill.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I'm a fan of the martinis at Rugby Beach Grill ... all very tasty

... really? I've actually heard quite the opposite and that their martinis are very watered down.

I do however recommend Wild Rice for martinis - I think they have a very creative list!

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Okay - this may be off topic - but there are not alot of threads on this forum on drinks.

As it may be obvious - I am not a big drinker - but I would like to starting having good mixed drinks. This is especially the case when I have people who are from out town and I am trying to have a grown up (and manly) drink. Whisky sour, manhattan - or should one stick to the straight stuff.

So - what is your favorite bar these days and their best drink?

What's with my drinking fixation all of a sudden - I've been seeing all these Suntory Whiskey commercials and that sound of ice rolling around in a good highball glass just seems so grown up to me. Now - where are my cigarrettes?

I do most of my drinking at home and at restaurants, rather than bars, but the bar at Bacchus at the Wedgewood has long had a great reputation, Lee. Keeping in the hotel theme, the bar at the Sutton Place Hotel--Gerard?--is supposed to be pretty great; and I have had drinks in the Hotel Vancouver lobby which were pretty nice. There's something that feels so sophisticated about drinking in a hotel bar, somehow.

My nod for a pre-prandial cocktail has to go to Parkside, which always has an interesting fresh sheet of luscious libations. My hands-down favourite is the Blood Orange Negroni (in season), with homemade blood orange sorbet. I think they also have the sought-after Plymouth gin, and I know they have an incredible selection of eaux-de-vie for the after-dinner drinking.

If you're interested in whiskey, then The Irish Heather is a good place to go.

Others can chime in with the fabulous bars, I'm quite out of my depth there.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Thanks everyone for responding to my post with your insight! Unfortunately I was the target of some identity theft...turns out someone got ahold of my mastercard umber and charged $1500 to it the last 4 days...but next week when its all sorted out...Ill be going to Nu! Thanks again

Jason Edge

Mill Street Cafe

Chilliwack, B.C.