• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Classic Home Desserts of Richard Sax

Apicio

This is one cookbook that I am really surprised I have not come accross often enough in any thread in this forum and yet if anyone abandoned me in a dessert island (with a well stocked larder) I would not wished to be rescued immediately if I have this with me along with Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking and Craig Clairborne and Virginia Lee’s The Chinese Cookbook.

Sax’s cookbook provides me with a never ending supply of dessert ideas that reminds me of my mother who slapped or whipped together something simple for dessert while the rest of our family was eating our meal.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

richard sax is sadly underappreciated. i agree, that's a great book. several years ago i did a piece on pots de creme, where i took recipes from a dozen books, broke them down and cooked through them to try to come up with my "greatest" version. it was really interesting--some of them had more than a dozen steps and left a sink full of dirty dishes, and then richard's was dead simple, practically foolproof and had the best quality of all of them. in fact, iirc, i ended up just saying that and running his recipe (credited, of course).

To introduce Ligita’s Quick Apple Cake on page 383, he says “Stick a bookmark here, and leave it in.” I did and now my copy opens there. Next page is Hilda’s Apple Cake and then Margaret’s. Skip two pages and it will open to All-Time-Best Summer Fruit Torte. Ligita’s Apple Cake is just one of my all time favourites along with Hilda and Margaret’s apple cake. The Down-East Cranberry Apple Pie on page 500 though is another dessert I cannot live without.

Gato ming gato miao busca la vida para comer

To introduce Ligita’s Quick Apple Cake on page 383,  he says  “Stick a bookmark here, and leave it in.”  I did and now my copy opens there. Next page is Hilda’s Apple Cake and then Margaret’s.  Skip two pages and it will open to All-Time-Best Summer Fruit Torte.  Ligita’s Apple Cake is just one of my all time favourites along with Hilda and Margaret’s apple cake.  The Down-East Cranberry Apple Pie on page 500 though is another dessert I cannot live without.

I second Apicio's enthusiasm for the apple cakes -- especially Ligita's & Margaret's -- I make them both often, the former if I'm especially hurried but want something very simple and delicious.

Sax's book is definitely one of my des(s)ert island picks. Some of the other delicious and reliable favorites:

Oatmeal Shortbread Squares

Boston Cream Pie

Claremont Diner Coconut Cream Pie

Lutz's Chocolate Cream Pie

Dried-Fruit Mincemeat Pie with Lattice Cream Cheese Crust (great for holidays)

Please STOP - all of you! I don't need and shouldn't covet another cookbook but you are driving me to distraction! Sounds like the perfect book for short cut desserts. :biggrin: How long can I resist? Sheesh.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have only made a few recipes from this book, but so far all of it has turned out so good that I'm sure I'll be working my way through more of it, because basically every page has a recipe I want to try. The recipes are all clearly written, well organized, and work. The Double Chocolate Pudding was really excellent.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

I remember having this book with me at all times on my first pastry chef gig...I have to dig it out again-I miss my old friend. Weighed a ton lugging in messenger bag across the city

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

Oh dear, I'm never going to get through all my school reading with threads like this! :biggrin: I could only hold for so long - I just got back from the library, copy in hand, and this book looks like a real winner.

But I love it most for his style. It's a great read, which is my final criterion for cookbooks. He writes like a hug.

I've only skimmed it so far, but I totally agree. It's homey, comforting reading.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

• 8 months later...

Got my copy of the book yesterday - a bargain on Ebay and in superb condition. Have not had time to cook from it but I just love the style of the book, the writing, and the simplicity of many of the desserts. It surely is a book that deserves to be reprinted.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Just ordered my copy today plus Payard's Simply Sensational Desserts as I read somewhere in EG that it is worth having too :smile:

Wondering about Nancy Baggett's All American Desserts and Wayne Bachman's American Desserts book too. Anyone has any opinion on these. Thanks

The most stained pages in my book belong to All-American Fudge-Chunk brownies, Raspberry Flummery, Whipped Cream pound cake and Schrafft's Hot Fudge sauce. The peanut butter pie is also seriously good.

If only Jack Nicholson could have narrated my dinner, it would have been perfect.

The other day I made East-West Ginger cake. It's not a Sax recipe, rather it comes from David Lebovitz. I saw it in the book though and made it for sugar high friday( food blogging event).

Pics and story are in my 2girls foodblog( link at my signature line)

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

• 3 years later...

Oh, so now I WANT this cookbook--does anyone know if the 1999 edition is much different than the earlier edition? There's a big difference in price--I can get the older one on ebay for 4 bucks or so

No matter--I just got the older edition from the library & immediately bought it on ebay--it exhausted me just leafing through it.

Love his style, and all the anecdotes & snips of food history in it. This is what cookbooks used to be like--hundreds of recipes--rather than the 50 or so you get now.

I've owned Classic Home Desserts for over 20 years. Between it and the Chez Panisse Desserts, I have never felt the need for any more dessert cookbooks. I bake several of the coffee cakes often and several of the Christmas cookies are keepers and have become part of my annual Christmas cookie collection. Also his tiramisu is authentic and delicious.

I have trouble keeping the book in my house. I have a friend who borrows it for months at a time and when I go to use it, it is nowhere to be found. I should buy Katherine her own copy.

And, I agree. His writing is lovely and personal. I felt so very sad when he died knowing there would be no more books from him.