• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Côte d'Azur Riviera

Jonathan Day

We had lunch at le moulin in mid sept.WE ate oudoors and the setting amongst flowers and under the trees was glorious.

ONe has many choices at lunch.You could choose the 65 euros menu ,which includes wine or a la carte, where you may choose the chef's series of tapas or theme oriented menu .I,e veal done in 3 different ways ,etc.

WE chose the lunch menu.The appetizer was Jabugo Ham ,presented in cylinders filled with market vegetable and doused with olive oil.Tasty dish ,that's also light.very mediteranean.BEautiful to look at as well.

Main dish was pork tenderloin with squash blossom and chestnut puree.What a dish with flavors and nuances.

WE drank a complimantary glass of champagne and a provencal rose as well as a red from languedoc.

Dessert was tarte aux fraises with pistachio ice cream ,which was perfumy and a nice ending .

Total cost including all taxes ,wine and service was 65 euros.I don't know where you could eat like this at this price.

I spoke with the general manager who said that they are all working very hard towards a 3d michelin star.

I spent a week in mid sept on the French rivierra.As expected i ate in different restaurants and locations and my overall impression is that most of them are overran with tourists and expensive.I,e Tetou, except le moulin de mougins(at lunch) and Jarrier at dinner.

Jarrier is located in Biot ,close to Antibes.ITs run by 2 young men ,so close attention is paid to everything.

WE had a table outdoors overlooking a valley.So the breeze was bringing the perfume of the flowers and plants ,while the sun was setting.

We opted for the 30 euros menu ,which was classic provencal,with good ingredients and interpretation.The wine list was reasonable and covered not only vins du provence but also cote du rhone and Languedoc.

The overall experience in terms of setting,service and cuisine and wine is that of a place with an excellent value.a rarity on the french rivierra.Perhaps that's why its very popular with the locals.

• 3 months later...

Here is a "between Monacp and Sanremo" update to my panello entry (living in monaco since 16 years):

Monaco:

PETROSSIAN (incredible quality and value, 25 eur + wine, AND quality), besides (2 to 3 choice per course menu), for a snack try maviar, or all their herrings

LAMPARO (outdoor only, near Cap d'Ail harbour, and tennis)

COSMOPOLITAN brand new, fun and good, opened by Dino Rossi, the son of Pulcinella owner Carlo Rossi (near Pulcinella)

Apricale:

RISTORANTE APRICALE: http://www.ristoranteapricale.it' target='_blank'> Da Delio (a secret, barolo list, best wine list, super food)

Bordighera:

MAOMA (fish), on the seaside 1km west of the train station

Ospedaletti:

BYBLOS (fish), on the seaside,

• 8 months later...

Some up to date recommendations please

I've read through this thread as well as a few others, but many of the posts are at least several years old. We're visiting Nice (actually Villefranche) in February. We've been there before and really enjoyed our prix fix SUnday lunch at Mirazur as well as pizza on the Quai in Villefranche. We enjoy a variety of food but the one no-no for us is overally pretentious (and overally expenses) places. So we're looking at up-to-date ideas for the following on the Cote-de-Azur:

1) Friendly one star (or close to one star) attractive resto within a hour or so of Nice for lunch at 60 euro or less prix fixe.

2) Local boulubaisse or fish place with hearty simple food.

3) Same as #1 above, but in Italy,

I've read through this thread as well as a few others, but many of the posts are at least several years old. We're visiting Nice (actually Villefranche) in February. We've been there before and really enjoyed our prix fix SUnday lunch at Mirazur as well as pizza on the Quai in Villefranche. We enjoy a variety of food but the one no-no for us is overally pretentious (and overally expenses) places. So we're looking at up-to-date ideas for the following on the Cote-de-Azur:

1) Friendly one star (or close to one star) attractive resto within a hour or so of Nice for lunch at 60 euro or less prix fixe.

First, You will really enjoy Mirazur. THe food is exceptional as is the service. I have friends who highly recommend Restaurant Bacon in Juan les Pin for boulubaisse.

First, You will really enjoy Mirazur. THe food is exceptional as is the service. I have friends who highly recommend Restaurant Bacon in Juan les Pin for boulubaisse.

Bacon is in Cap d'Antibes not Juan les Pin

Splash the cash a little and hop on the train to Louis XV, the best value lunch I know.

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Oops, my mistake/ Also agree that the lunch deal at Louis XV is amazing and worth every Euro.

Oops, my mistake/ Also agree that the lunch deal at Louis XV is amazing and worth every Euro.

I would also recommend lunch at Louis XV.

I was on the Cote D'Azur earlier this summer and the best meals I had (apart from the above) were at the 1* Le Clos St Pierre in Le Rouret which I guess is about 30 minutes drive from Nice.

Cheers!

Richard