• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Versailles Demerara Rum 1985

Soren Nielsen

Hi,

Since this is my first post on these forums, allow me to introduce myself.

I am a 25 year old civil engineer from Denmark who ever since a friend bought

me a Barbancourt 5-star on a trip to LA, has been a huge rum fan.

Unfortunately, in Denmark very few interesting rums are available.

Believe it or not, the only Rhum agricole available here is Clements

Rhum Vieux, bottled in France (which I love, but still!!)

Since I am pretty "green" in the rum area, I have a few questions I hope you

will be able to shed some light on.

I recently enjoyed a rum called Grande Reserve Plantation Rum from Barbados,

which is made from cane juice. I find the taste rather similar to the

(more expensive) Clement Rhum Vieux.

As far as I know, rhum vieux/agricole is characterized by being made from cane syrup

instead of cane juice, but are there any other differences between the two? It seems

to me that cane juice and syrup are essentially the same thing.

Since Barbancourt is also made from cane juice and that rum has a substantially different

taste, I am beginning to wonder if any general assumptions about taste can actually be

made based on source product (juice, syrup, molasses)?

Also, the label on the Plantation rum states that this is an "Artisanal rum". I believe

I have seen that term on other bottles, but does it mean anything, eg. regarding

fermentation/distillation?

Yesterday I stumbled upon a rum called "Berry's Own Selection versailles Demerara Rum, 1985".

It holds 57% abv and looks very intriguing, but carries a price tag of 100$ so I was hoping

someone on this forum has tried this rum and knows if its worth the price?

Also, does "Demerara rum" only refer to the region (Guyana,Berbice and Essequibo) or does it mean

a different type of cane was used compared to the rest of the caribbean?

Agricole is made of Cane Juice. Rhum Industriel (or Industrial Rum) is made from molasses, which about 95 percent of the world's rum is made from.

"Artisanal" means small production but it is not an officially used term that is regulated in any way.

Demerara refers to the region in Guyana, yes.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 2 weeks later...

Barbancourt is made from sugar cane syrup but rhum agricole is made from fresh sugar cane juice. Another difference is that Barbancourt is distilled to a higher proof than rhum agricole.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.