• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any reviews of Amy Ruth's?

danger_doug

The only place I've been to for soul food in Manhattan is Amy Ruth's, a few years ago.

I thought it was fine stuff, but coulda been better.

At the time, the other place I remember thinking about was Charles Southern Kitchen.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've been here a couple times and had a nice meal both times, if not mind-blowing. The famous waffles really are airy-fluffy and delicious, and the fried chicken I had with it was as it should be, very fresh and crunchy. I had the short ribs another time which were tender but kind of bland. The sides were good but again, not earth-shattering. Service was mediocre. If you do visit here, I think the waffles are the way to go. If you're looking for other places with good soul food, I enjoyed Miss Mamie's Spoonbread maybe even a tad more than Amy Ruth's (really tasty candied yams, spicy jerk chicken, and great Spoonbread punch, very friendly service), and the best I've had so far in NYC was Shark Bar (killer BBQ). Haven't been to Sylvia's yet though, or Pink Tea Cup, or Ida Mae (expensive) which I heard was really good.

Edited by jeanki (log)

Pink Tea Cup is a mixed bag - some dishes sometimes very good but not great at others. It's reliable enough and for a very moderately priced filling dinner is usually a good bet. Have heard that their weekend breakfasts are the big draw but I've only been there for dinner. Their fried chicken is not bad and they also have pan fried chicken livers on the menu - always a good thing for me.

I've been told by a reliable authority ( a musician who played there on weekends and knew what went on behind the scenes) that one of the well-known Harlem soul food places actually has two menus - which can be distinguished by the differing colors of the menu or the cover. If you're a neighborhood person you get the menu with the "regular" prices. Everyone else gets the "tourist" menu. Same food - big upcharge :biggrin: