• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

German Brews Knockout Beer: World's Strongest Beer

Gifted Gourmet

the article

a potent drink with an alcohol content of 25.4 per cent that is served in shot glass.

"Everyone who has tried it is enthusiastic. It tastes like a quirky mixture of beer and sherry," ...  his beer fermented for 12 weeks for an alcohol content twice that of Germany's other strongest beers.  "People will only be able to drink two or three glasses, otherwise they'll drop like flies," ... Mr Schneider expects the holders of the world's strongest beer, the Boston Beer Company, to put up a fight to his claim.  "I'm pretty sure the Americans have something up their sleeve," he said.

Anyone have any information on what the Americans are making by way of rising to this challenge? :rolleyes:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

In addition to the Sam Adams Utopia, which is ridiculously priced at $100-150 a bottle, Dogfish Head and Avery are making some very high abv beers. Avery's "The Beast" is a Belgian Strong Dark that weighs in at 18% abv and Dogfish Head has several very high gravity beers, notably their "120 Minute IPA" (21%), their Belgian Strong Dark, "Raison D'extra" (20%) and their "World Wide Stouts," which differ every year but have been as high as 23%.

Frankly, I could give a flip about the abv of a beer as I am more concerned with their taste than their alcoholic content. Having said that, all of the beers I have referenced above are very good beers. But there are also plenty in the same styles that are equally as good, if not better, that are well below those abvs

The limit for most fermentation is 18%. http://www.answers.com/topic/alcoholic-beverage-1

I have had German beers where the brew was frozen and the alcohol content raised and did not like them. Sam Adams is hype and manufactured scarcity. I certainly will not go out of my way to drink these -Uber-beers.

Hofbrau Mai-Bock is good enough for me. -Dick

Interesting -- a friend of mine just wrote an article about the tendency of craft brewers to focus on upping the alcohol content instead of offering new and interesting tastes. Seems to agree with what several of you have said about that not being the best direction.

Why so strong, people?

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media

hair of the dog in oregon made a beer called "dave" that was 29%

ns

I've had some of that. Not bad stuff but I no longer drink beer.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

• 1 month later...

I ordered several bottles of the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA ale (supposedly just over 20% alcohol but wasn't printed on the bottle) this summer which was fairly tasty, but I prefer regular IPA's for the most part that are still relatively high (comparitively) in terms of alcohol. Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a point when they go from having a hearty full bodied flavor to a bit more of a mellow almost barley wine type of effect. Being that I like the hearty style I"m sticking to more the traditional alcohol ranges.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

Interesting -- a friend of mine just wrote an article about the tendency of craft brewers to focus on upping the alcohol content instead of offering new and interesting tastes. Seems to agree with what several of you have said about that not being the best direction.

Why so strong, people?

Wow - after reading that I just had to write my own ;) I thought a different perpective was in order.

http://www.intrepidmedia.com/column.asp?id=2380

Brew-Monkey.com - Your source for brew news, events, reviews, and all things beer.