• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

8th moon 15th day Dinner

Tepee

Do post yours. :smile:

Now...CUT THAT OUT!!! :angry::angry::laugh:

Oops. Let me rephrase that.

"Do post yours....for those who celebrate the Mooncake Festival." For those who are unable to do so :sad: feel free to vicariously partake in the food and festivities.

Duh. Somehow I feel that doesn't make things any better.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Our family had ours early this year. My gallery space is getting a bit tight, so I've to make a page for it.

Please click.

Do post yours. :smile:

WOW! I wanna come nxt time!

On the Drunken Chicken --- does the coconut toddy drip in as the dish goes down? An interesting way to add the liquor!

Yes, it does, Jo-mel. The dish came with a completely full glass. We tell the kids they'd better take what they want before they can't from all that toddy. Very interesting and flavorful soup.

Oh...I forgot to tell I've got Round 2 (this time with my in-laws) coming up next week on top of my sis's bday dinner. I'm trying to sell DH the idea of Poon Choi to sell to his family. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

My cousin who lives in Hong Kong is visiting the USA/Canada. Last weekend we met up in Millbrae (California) and have a family reunion dinner at:

Zen Peninsula

1180 El Camino Real, Millbrae, California

http://www.zenpeninsula.com/

We had one of their dinner packages (and there are many to choose from). Here is a picture of the 8 course meal (plus fried rice). The dinner was excellent. The dishes they made were very close to what they presented on the website (except that the fish is steamed and not served raw as in their pictures, of course :smile: )

Here is the picture posted on Zen Peninsula's web site:

http://www.zenpeninsula.com/images/zen368-2.JPG

Zen's special banquet for 10:

- Zen's special platter (suckling pig, jelly fish, pork leg?)

- Stir-fried dual clams (two kinds of clams)

- Golden seafood roll (scallop and shrimp, bit of mayo wrapped in tofu skin and deep-fried, delicious!)

- Braised shark's fin with conpoy & shredded chicken (shark fin!!!)

- Sliced abalone in oyster sauce (abalone with whole mushrooms)

- Stir-fried lobster with ginger & scallion (hmmm, lobster!)

- Green tea chicken (don't let the name fool you, just the same as Cantonese Fried Chicken (Zha Gee Gai). The skin is very crispy and the meat very tender. 10/10!)

- Steamed live whole fish (they do serve it steamed, not raw. :smile: )

- Ham & seafood fried rice

- Braised e-fu noodles

- Daily dessert soup & Dual petit dessert (the dessert soup is the run-of-the-mill red bean dessert soup. But the "dual" petite dessert is interesting: (1) miniature Gai Jai Beng. They made them the size of a quarter for each. Really small. But the taste is unmistakable. (2) Kuih! - Mango flavor? Shapped like a small marble ball.) - Their desserts are quite pretty. Too bad not in their photo gallery.

We ate very well! One of the best I had in the US West Coast for a long time...

Edited by hzrt8w (log)
W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Oh...I forgot to tell I've got Round 2 (this time with my in-laws) coming up next week on top of my sis's bday dinner. I'm trying to sell DH the idea of Poon Choi to sell to his family. :rolleyes:

Hmmm... for your next dinner, if you do end up eating Poon Choi you would only need to take one picture for the whole dinner. :raz:

Hz, your dinner sounds really GOOD! Will have to check Zen out in Mapquest to see if we can make it there.

Hmmm... for your next dinner, if you do end up eating Poon Choi you would only need to take one picture for the whole dinner. tongue.gif

Don't you want to see the layers???? :raz:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Hz, your dinner sounds really GOOD! Will have to check Zen out in Mapquest to see if we can make it there.

Don't you want to see the layers???? :raz:

Zen Peninsula is just right across the freeway I-101 from SFO, San Francisco International Airport. Just 5 minutes away. It could be your first meal when you land. Oh... you are flying in/out LAX... never mind! :wink:

Hmmm.... perhaps you can just set up the camera and shoot a time-lapse sequence. :laugh:

Suzy, this is Malaysia you're talking about, not someplace where it's hard to find decent food in the middle of nowhere!

Erm, I think Suzy was responding to Tepee's comment that Telok Gong was a place in the middle of nowhere.

Tepee, I was curious, why did your family decide to travel 35 km to Klang for dinner? Is that a well-known restaurant haunt?

I must say, the food looks fantastic! It seems like y'all chose the restaurant rather randomly but it was certainly a great choice. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Dinner must have been a magnificent feast.

Happy eating over the next week!

Tepee, I was curious, why did your family decide to travel 35 km to Klang for dinner?  Is that a well-known restaurant haunt?

...It seems like y'all chose the restaurant rather randomly but it was certainly a great choice. 

Happy eating over the next week!

35 km sounds far but it's only half an hour via highway. Besides, no place is too far, no road is too narrow for us when it comes to good food. :raz: Telok Gong has apparently taken over Carey Island as the seafood haunt. Yes, the restaurant was randomly chosen; some members in our party said Evergreen down the road was even better.

Makan King, you're stationed in Beijing now? If you can't post pics, at least tantalize us with some food details over this season. Tks.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Suzy, this is Malaysia you're talking about, not someplace where it's hard to find decent food in the middle of nowhere!

Erm, I think Suzy was responding to Tepee's comment that Telok Gong was a place in the middle of nowhere.

That's exactly what I meant! I can't imagine getting in the car, driving to an unfamiliar suburb, choosing a restaurant at random (by the number of cars parked outside!), and turning up that kind of incredible meal in Hawaii or New York for that matter!

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

That's exactly what I meant! I can't imagine getting in the car, driving to an unfamiliar suburb, choosing a restaurant at random (by the number of cars parked outside!), and turning up that kind of incredible meal in Hawaii or New York for that matter!

Suzy, I may not have been there before but my siblings have. However, even if none of us had gone there before, it wouldn't have stopped us going just based on hearsay! Nothing ventured, nothing gained! :laugh:

p/s My little family of 5 actually hit untried restaurants (kid-friendly ones) every weekend, more hits than misses, I must say.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

But, as I said, in Malaysia...

Michael aka "Pan"

35 km sounds far but it's only half an hour via highway. Besides, no place is too far, no road is too narrow for us when it comes to good food. :raz:  Telok Gong has apparently taken over Carey Island as the seafood haunt. Yes, the restaurant was randomly chosen; some members in our party said Evergreen down the road was even better.

Makan King, you're stationed in Beijing now? If you can't post pics, at least tantalize us with some food details over this season. Tks.

That's true. I agree that Malaysians and Singaporeans will go to great lengths for good food! I don't mean to hijack this thread, but as an example, some friends and I embarked on a hawker food safari back in July when I was back in Singapore for a week. In one afternoon, we hit about 12 food stalls spread over 5 hawker centres and 2 coffee shops located in the eastern and southern part of Singapore! Then we met more friends for a great ze-cha dinner.

Anyway, back to this thread, yes, I am now stationed in Beijing. I don't know how to post pics, but I will try to post dining experiences in the future.

But, as I said, in Malaysia...

That's true too!

...some friends and I embarked on a hawker food safari back in July when I was back in Singapore for a week.  In one afternoon, we hit about 12 food stalls spread over 5 hawker centres and 2 coffee shops located in the eastern and southern part of Singapore!  Then we met more friends for a great ze-cha dinner.

You had that 'SAFARI' only in July and you're already homesick for the food??? I can't imagine how the other poor souls who have left their food roots longer than you must be suffering.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

...some friends and I embarked on a hawker food safari back in July when I was back in Singapore for a week.  In one afternoon, we hit about 12 food stalls spread over 5 hawker centres and 2 coffee shops located in the eastern and southern part of Singapore!  Then we met more friends for a great ze-cha dinner.

You had that 'SAFARI' only in July and you're already homesick for the food??? I can't imagine how the other poor souls who have left their food roots longer than you must be suffering.

I blame it on all the great food pictures on this thread! :raz::biggrin:

Does anyone know what this nut is called in English? I think it's called lin kok in cantonese. It tastes very much like chestnut; only see it during Mid-autumn Festivals. It is a tough nut to crack! Had this at my sis' home last night.

gallery_12248_1783_4006.jpg

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

In English it's called horned water chestnut, or water caltrops. They grow in water in the same way as water chestnuts, and apparently should never be eaten raw (though my mother-in-law does, and nothing has happened to her yet). Were yours boiled?

The latin name is Trapa bicornis.

Cute, aren't they. :smile: