• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anatomy of a Beef Brisket

Doc-G

<snip>

Still, $2.95 per pound isn't much more than I pay for locally-sourced stuff, so unless the S&H is absolutely outrageous, it won't be a big sacrifice to try the stuff available through the link provided by dls above (thank you, btw :smile:). <snip>

=R=

Have yourself a good cry. In the spring and early summer brisket here (Dallas, TX) can be found on sale for 89-cents to $1.19/pound. We load up, freeze several and use them throughout the BBQ season. Smoke 'em low and slow, invite your friends (who MUST bring the beer), and enjoy.

--------------

Bob Bowen

aka Huevos del Toro

<snip>

Still, $2.95 per pound isn't much more than I pay for locally-sourced stuff, so unless the S&H is absolutely outrageous, it won't be a big sacrifice to try the stuff available through the link provided by dls above (thank you, btw :smile:). <snip>

=R=

Have yourself a good cry. In the spring and early summer brisket here (Dallas, TX) can be found on sale for 89-cents to $1.19/pound. We load up, freeze several and use them throughout the BBQ season. Smoke 'em low and slow, invite your friends (who MUST bring the beer), and enjoy.

Yep, I'm well-aware of general Texas brisket prices. Fifi has posted in the past, to same effect. Around here, the only cut we can get that cheaply is pork butt. While that's certainly not a bad consolation prize, it ain't brisket either :wink::smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

Have yourself a good cry. In the spring and early summer brisket here (Dallas, TX) can be found on sale for 89-cents to $1.19/pound.

:sad:

gee thanks.

do you know kosher brisket retails for around $18/kg? I don't pay retail, but still!

Have yourself a good cry. In the spring and early summer brisket here (Dallas, TX) can be found on sale for 89-cents to $1.19/pound.

:sad:

gee thanks.

do you know kosher brisket retails for around $18/kg? I don't pay retail, but still!

That really cheap brisket will be select grade. I don't think it matters due to the way it is cooked.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ordered 3 briskets and a tenderloin to get over $400 and no shipping container charge http://www.gamemeat.com/kobe.html . Two of the briskets were whole and one was the flat cut, all cryovac wrapped. We smoke a large and a small flat cut brisket Saturday. The large one spent 10 hours in the smoker and an additional 8 hours in the oven until we judged it done.

Sunday, the party began. The brisket was cold sliced with a 32cm Wustoff slicer and then reheated . I had put a Tex-Mex rub on it. I have smoked choice brisket, Wagyu from Lobel's and this briket was the best, period! The fat content made it extremely rich and tender. Everyone loved it. One large brisket went into the freezer. I will thaw and corn the brisket in two pieces for St Pat's Day. We are going to try the tenderloin tomorrow.

BTW, I was informed that the website prices will shortly be going up. The order center had the new prices but after checking, honored the web price on the tenderloin. New price of tender is $55/# and brisket $3.59/#. -Dick