• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cape May to Atlantic City

Rail Paul

A friend is heading to Cape May for a few days, and she's looking for ideas of places to eat.

I gave her a few ideas from previous trips (410, Ebbitt, etc), but didn't have anything in the fish shack, little place out of the way spectrum etc.  Does anyone have suggestions they could offer? Fresh fish, simply prepared? Take out for a romantic evening on the beach? etc.

Thanks

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I don't know if your friend has left already; we go to Cape May every year- a favorite dinner is takeout from the Lobster House fish market, a bottle of champagne, al fresco on the beach. There's the usual upscale places- 410 Bank, Frescoes, Union Park, Daniel's, Ebbitt Room, etc., but for much less money try Tisha's on the boardwalk overlooking the ocean, or Louisa's in town.

Mark A. Bauman

• 1 year later...

BUMP - - -

I'm bumping this very old thread because I can't find anything recent on Cape May. Just like Rail, my friend and her mom are spending two - three days in Cape May and then Atlantic City. I have made some suggestions that are very similar to what others have said here--Tisha's, 410 Bank Street, Ebbitt. Has anyone been down there recently and can speak to these. Black Duck (think that is right) looks really really good--I think it used to be Sunset's or Peaches. It's been awhile for me, so I am looking for something recent. I'll take any AC suggestions too. Her mom is not a fancy fancy adventurous type, but they both like good food in a not-pretentious atmosphere. THANKS IN ADVANCE. . .

I recommend this thread, and most notably the info on "Crabby's Suds and Seafood" - it is west of Atlantic City just south of Mays Landing. (1413 Highway 50, Belcoville, NJ - 609-625-CRAB)

I loved it!! Great crab shack kind of place.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

JB's BBQ in Cape May. It's in what was once a bank (unfortunately they don't have the drive through open for take out) on Rt 9. It's really good BBQ.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

just back yesterday from our annual anniversary trip to the crest and cape may.

we get take away from the lobster house in cape may and eat it at our place at the beach. have eaten at the restaurant twice but prefer take away.

our anniversary dinner was at martini beach. it is up above cabana's on beach ave. they have done some renovation over the winter and changed the menu up some as well. we shared a house salad with a crumbled blue cheese dressing, john had the crab cakes which are served with the sweet potato fries and slaw, i had two small plates - citrus grilled shrimp and sesame chicken tenders with lemon bbq dipping sauce. we each had a glass of wine total was 86 plus tip. other times we have had the sesame crusted tuna, lobster martini, paparika and brown sugared baby back ribs, salt & pepper calamari and dark rum glazed tenders(all small plates - the way we usually like to eat)

we also tried the black duck on sunset. a plus - it is byo. the food - john really loved his crab cakes that were served with an asian slaw. my ribs were served with a corn pudding and down home slaw. they were ok but seemed fattier than most baby back ribs i've seen before - more like country style ribs. john also ordered a starter of seafood ravioli i tasted - and gave back to him because a)it tasted a bit fishy to me and b) the wonton wrapper tasted like deep fried pie dough. i asked the hostess about it and she said since the wonton was made of flour of course it would taste like fried pie dough. total cost 68 plus tip without any wine since suzi left the carrier with the 2002 eroica and the 1998 lacryma christi in the room :shock: we grabbed a sample menu on our way out and actually some of the things on this menu looked better than the current one. most appetizers seem to be in the 8-9 range, entrees in the 22-23 range but they list an early bird prix-fixe three course dinner for 19.95 pp plus tax, tip and beverages.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We ate at Tisha's last Sunday night for the first time. The food was very good but our server was a bit inattentive to things like refilling water glasses and lowering the speed of a ceiling fan which was right over our table. My entree of pan seared halibut with lobster in a beurre blanc sauce was excellent. Hubby had a chicken and shrimp combo which he liked but commented that the shrimp seemed a bit off in taste. Both entrees were served with asparagus and mashed potatoes. There was no room for dessert, but what we saw coming out of the kitchen looked very good. Tisha's is BYO.

KathyM

For an awesome dinner try KAREN AND REI'S at 1882 Rt. 9 in Clermont, not far from Avalon. Phone number 609-967-4488

Not cheap but the creativity and execution is well worth it. It is also BYO which keeps the cost down.

Has had great reviews from most major papers, TV stations etc. Before their move to the present larger restaurant, you needed 4-5 weeks ahead to snag a reservation

Get tempted from their menu at www.karenandrei.com

Tom

Tom D

JB's BBQ in Cape May.  It's in what was once a bank (unfortunately they don't have the drive through open for take out) on Rt 9.  It's really good BBQ.

john: i googled this and found a few things that listed the address as 201 hirst ave. in rio grande (off of rt. 47). does that sound right? i didn't find anything on rt 9.

thx.

JB's BBQ in Cape May.  It's in what was once a bank (unfortunately they don't have the drive through open for take out) on Rt 9.  It's really good BBQ.

john: i googled this and found a few things that listed the address as 201 hirst ave. in rio grande (off of rt. 47). does that sound right? i didn't find anything on rt 9.

thx.

I think Rt 47 is right. Sorry.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

• 3 years later...