• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Struggling with scalloped sweet potatoes

Nyleve Baar

Maybe it's just that I HATE to fail. So I had this idea yesterday to make scalloped sweet potatoes - pretty much the way I make normal scalloped potatoes. Layered - raw - with sauteed onion, salt and pepper, parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of flour. Then poured milk over all and sealed the baking dish with foil. An hour later I peeked.

Yeck.

The milk had gone all separated. The cheese was clinging desperately to the edges of the pan - as if it were trying to sneak out. The butter from the sauteed onion was greasily floating over the whole soggy mess. What did I do wrong? Is there any way to do it better next time? I really like the idea of this dish, but this definitely was not what I was hoping for.

I returned the dish to the oven for another half hour - uncovered - but all that did was to slightly brown the top. Everything else remained icky. I drained off the excess liquid to serve it but the rest is going to the chickens.

i've had this problem, too. the deal is, sweet potatoes are so much lower in starch than real potatoes. there's nothing to bind the liquid. the solution is to cook the sweet potatoes first, then slice them and arrange them in the gratin dish, then pour over just enough cream to give them a gentle napping. bake this just until the cream bubbles and browns.

I never think of the sweet potato as a potato...so... How about using organic sweets - wash them well and leave the peel on and slice them. Do a single overlapped layer and make a cream based bechamel - use say 18% cream, nutmeg, onions, and add some of the parm. Nap the pots and pop them in the oven for about 30 minutes-poke for doneness. Pull them out, add the balance of the parm and toast til golden.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

This may not suit your taste but I don't see why you couldn't just add your onions and Parm.

I've made this many times and I think it's heavenly.

Layer dark sweet potatos in a baking dish, add salt and nutmeg. Pour on heavy cream just till you can barely see it between the potatoes. Cover with foil and bake at 400º for about 1/2 hour, then uncover and brown.

This is the way I do it for holidays rather than the sticky, gooie, marshmallowy candied yams.

This may not suit your taste but I don't see why you couldn't just add your onions and Parm.

Layer dark sweet potatos in a baking dish, add salt and nutmeg. Pour on heavy cream just till you can barely see it between the potatoes. Cover with foil and bake at 400º for about 1/2 hour, then uncover and brown.

This is the way I do it for holidays rather than the sticky, gooie, marshmallowy candied yams.

Just to clarify - these potatoes are layered UNcooked, right? And it takes, what? About 45 minutes to an hour you think?

I've made a version with canned chipotles blended into the cream - it is heavenly. But I'm trying to make a more kid-friendly dish - so want to avoid the chipotles. Maybe roasted garlic...

And I'm thinking...maybe buttered crumbs on top too (after cover is off).

Just to clarify - these potatoes are layered UNcooked, right? And it takes, what? About 45 minutes to an hour you think?

I've made a version with canned chipotles blended into the cream - it is heavenly. But I'm trying to make a more kid-friendly dish - so want to avoid the chipotles. Maybe roasted garlic...

And I'm thinking...maybe buttered crumbs on top too (after cover is off).

Yes, uncooked. And chipotles would be marvelous in it. A great flavor combination, sweet potatoes and chiles. 45 minutes to an hour should be right.

You just reminded me of one of my favorite dishes. Tian de Legumes from Slow Cooking by Joanne Glynn. It calls for both regular potatoes and sweet potatoes. And it cooks for 2-1/2 to 3 hours at 325F.

I love slow cooking.

- kim

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

we used to make this at a restaurant i worked at... i just e-mailed the chef & will report back  :smile:

message from the chef:

Yeah, but we did more of a gratin with multi-layers of sweet potato

interspersed with two kinds of cheese (jack and cheddar) and a

combination

of milk and cream poured over it...