• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Portland Recommendations

Hi I am taking my wife to Portland in Mid October for our anniversarry.

We are staying at the Kimpton Vintage Plaza Inn, downtown, and I am looking for dinner ideas.

So far I have found the Harrison

I am looking for some lunch spots and a couple of dinner venues.

Any assistance is most appreciated.

Cheers,

on NW 21st....Wildwood is great -- lunch or dinner

in the Pearl. (approx. NW 13th)..people love Sungari for asian

You can walk to the Pearl District from downtown -- about 10 blocks. I actually walk to 21st, but then I am a "walker" there is free transportation from downtown also on the trolley.

Many great bars in the Pearl and on 21st and 23rd. Check out www.willametteweek.com for restaurant reviews.

Across the river is a place called clarklewis that people also have given raves. Atmosphere is more utilitarian.

Not Harrison!

Seriously. I'd probably suggest just about anywhere else.

The usual list looks something like:

Higgins, Hurleys, clarklewis, Gotham, Apizza Scholls, Pho Van (on 82nd), Ken's, Wildwood (though honestly I was not impressed), Paley's Place (again, honestly I was not impressed), Castagna, Ken's Place, Bewon, Low BBQ, Pix (for desert), Horse Brass (for beer), Stumptown (for coffee), Fife, Wong's King, Alba Osteria, Carafe, Karam.

fanatic...

The tip sheet is actually here:

http://www.extramsg.com/uploaded_misc/portland_tipsheet.html

To keep this from merely being shamless self-promotion, let me suggest:

* Wildwood

* Park Kitchen

* Gotham Bldg Tavern

* Paley's

* Hurley's

None of these are truly in downtown, but relatively close.

Pazzo in your hotel is pretty nice, btw. Others worthwhile for an anniversary in downtown: Heathman and Higgins.

THank you for the ideas. Wildwood sounds good.

I liked the look of the Harrison from the web site, any reason why I should not go there? I am in Portalnd for 4 nights.

I was also looking at going to Olea, any thoughts on that.

If any of you are in Victoria come see me at the Aerie. I would be happy to show you around.

Cheers!

Hi James,

On the Harrison comment, I don't think anything is wrong with the restuarant, but Higgin's and Heathman which are with blocks of the Harrison, in my opinion do things just a bit better. All three have similar menus. The other one to throw into that mix is Wildwood up on NW 21st and I think that one is just a bit better than all of them.

Nick (ExtraMSG) above mentioned Park Kitchen, and that is my favorite place in Portland. Seem to be some of the imaginative dishes in the city. It is open for lunch, I have only gone for dinner however. Also, in the Pearl, if you like Greek food would be Eleni's Philoxenia, try the Grilled Calamari if you go. The last place which I would recommend is Tabla which is on the otherside of the river from your hotel. They have a 3 course $20 special which I think is very worthwhile. For the Pasta course try the Tabla Ravioli.

For a nightcap, go up to the Portland City Grill for the view of the city all lit up at night. Or if it is cool evening, go over to Huber's for a Spanish Coffee, the waiter puts on a show, while pouring your drink tableside.

If you want to try wine bars, Noble Rot and Oregon Wines on Broadway are both very good and very different. Noble Rot is over near Tabla, and is not limited to wines from the area (Washington and Oregon) also has a very good kitchen. I haven't eaten there but, that is what I have been told. Oregon Wines on Broadway is almost across the street from your hotel, they have about 40 bottles open at any given time for tasting. Also if you are in town on Monday, you can go over to the Harrison, and order a bottle of wine. Monday, they have a special where anything on the list under a $100 is half price.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy PDX

Chris Upstate NY

For a very romantic meal, I would go to Paley's Place or Hurley's. As much as I love Wildwood, it is a bit noisy at times. Paley's Place is very intimate, excellent food and a great all-around romantic time. Hope to try Olea next visit but I'll cast my vote for Paley's Place. :)

* Wildwood

* Park Kitchen

* Gotham Bldg Tavern

* Paley's

* Hurley's

ExtraMSG's tip sheet is excellent. His advice served me well both time's "J" & I visited Portland <- unsolicited plug :biggrin:

I'd second Park Kitchen, and add Vino Paradiso to the wine bar list. We visited twice last time we were there and really enjoyed it.

A.

Thanks for the tips. I am currently living in NYC and thinking of relocating to the Northwest (yes, Portland is on my list) to escape the madness of the Big Apple. Can you guys point out some happening places to hang out at night?

AzianBrewer

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Thanks for the tips.  I am currently living in NYC and thinking of relocating to the Northwest (yes, Portland is on my list) to escape the madness of the Big Apple.  Can you guys point out some happening places to hang out at night?

AzianBrewer

I like the SauceBox, Blue Hour and the bar at the Red Star. I'm not sure how 'happening' the are but I think they are comfortable for cocktails

Thanks for the tips.  I am currently living in NYC and thinking of relocating to the Northwest (yes, Portland is on my list) to escape the madness of the Big Apple.  Can you guys point out some happening places to hang out at night?

AzianBrewer

Are you talking about food or clubs? Portland does not have the nightlife of any big city but there is some. Most of the city shuts down after 10 pm, however, and it was an adjustment after living in Chicago.

regards,

trillium

As was (is!) Seattle after Philly and Manhattan.

Key: leave work at 5:30 (everyone else does) and pretend it's 10:00!!!

*still adjusting to the change*

AzianBrewer

Are you talking about food or clubs? Portland does not have the nightlife of any big city but there is some. Most of the city shuts down after 10 pm, however, and it was an adjustment after living in Chicago.

regards,

trillium

• 1 month later...

My wife and I have now been in Portland for 4 days.

1st night was a quick meal at Red Star. Excellent pizza and steaks, reasonable prices. They need to invest in some wine glasses.

2nd night we ate at the Harrison. Contrary to some opinions the food was decent but desserts were superior to everything. We had a nice ravioli appy and a rib eye main course. Portions were large, service was novice but friendly. Decent wine list with a 2000 Ken Wright Freedom Hill Pinot for $100, not a a bad price for this wine and that vintage. Martinis are excellent. For dessert we had a samplier plate with usual suspects of molten cake, creme caramel and a cheesecake, all classic dishes but very modern in presentation and lots of texture.

3rd day spent down in Newburg visiting with Sineanne and scouring wine shops around Lake Oswego for must haves that we don't see in B.C.

3rd night we went to Blue Hour. This seems very new but it was outstanding. No reservation and I was a little concerned at the door. We were casually dressed (as in not looking too hip) but the attitude was very professional and the server, mature, efficient and very tight and competent. The stand out... a very simple dish of gnocchi and truffles. I can still taste the gnocchi... ultra light and fluffy... like very high end pillows in a Ritz hotel. Wine list was good but not a lot of local selections and much depth in vintages. Young Oregon Pinots with pedigree are not that easy to drink. Seems that all reds are served in Riedel Syrah glasses and whites in Sauvignon Blanc glasses??? You would think in pinot land things would be different.

3rd day. We went to Mothers Bistro for lunch. Very hectic, excellent portions friendly and youthful service. Wines by the glass not so good. Server even had the courtesy to tell me that the wine rep is trying to get rid of wines through the glass list and that I should have a bottle... this seems like more a breakfast spot.

Tonight we are going to Wildwood. Looking forward to it but I'm not sure if my body can handle much more. 2 more days to go then we are off to Seattle for dinner at Mistral then on to Vancouver to try out Nu.

Overall, Portland is awesome. Prices very reasonable compared to Seattle or Vancouver. Very healthy environment. Don't forgo a trip to the zoo or the Japanese gardes. Pictures from trip found on My Webpage

Thank you for the suggestions and the help :smile:

Edited by James Kendal (log)

Looks like my first visit to Wildwood was just a day or so before yours. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Even though we arrived early for our reservation, and had just come from work, so were dressed very very casually, the staff was gracious and helpful. The menu had so many inviting dishes that it was difficult to choose. Everything was very autumn seasonal, with most of the dishes calling my name. We shared an endive salad garnished with pomegranite and candied walnuts. I ordered a pork scallopine dish that was good, but not great, as the thin slices of meat were tough and overcooked, but my friend's beef dish was a real winner. For wine, we had a fabulous Patricia Green Pinot which I will make a huge point of finding again. I really liked the way they serve their tea, with fresh loose tea inside of hand-filled mesh bags. Service was knowledgeable, well-timed, and helpful. The table bussers are a bit too assertive, but that was only a small flaw in an otherwise very lovely evening.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

I'm glad you had a good time at Wildwood. I just want to point out for other readers that here in Portland there is hardly any restauarant where casual dress isn't ok, or even expected, even at most of the priciest places. I can only think of one or two where there is an expectation that you'll make an effort to dress well. Sometimes I think that a clean Columbia Sportswear fleece, non-holey jeans and trailrunners from REI are considered "dressed up".

regards,

trillium

Sometimes I think that a clean Columbia Sportswear fleece, non-holey jeans and trailrunners from REI are considered "dressed up".

You mean to say there are nicer clothes than this? :wink: Personally, I prefer shorts, golf shirt and birkenstocks (no socks), but with mushroom season upon us, those are all put away until July.

Casual dress nearly everywhere is one of the things that makes Portland special. I must add, however, that no one will belittle uninformed easterners if they choose to gussy up for a nice meal out.

P.S.: New places worth a try: Fenouil, Nostrana, Roux.

--mcz