• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the BEST thing you DON'T eat?

poached, boiled & fried eggs (I have been known to vomit in the presence of fried eggs).

omelettes are fine for some reason - its just when the eggy bits are cooked unmixed I have a problem.

I hate butter on bread & in sandwiches

green peppers

most spirits esp. pernod & whisky (the shame of a Scotsman)

kidney

I have a problem with some shellfish (the insect looking stuff) - but I am much better than before

cod - I can eat it but I've never really enjoyed it

ketchup

bananas

polenta

tofu

Cool,

There are many varieties of papaya.  Some taste more like vomit than others.  I find the Mexican ones are more vomity than say, the domestic ones.  I suggest you try other varieties (or not).

Ah, thanks for the tip, being in Texas, I'm sure the papaya here comes from Mexico.  I'll keep an eye out--I'm always willing to try it again...

Challah back!

Okay, at first I thought you all were crazy.  Tomatoes, water chestnuts, melon, fennel?!  And I racked my brain trying to come up with something that truly made me shudder.  Then I remembered . . .

raw garlic.

Can cook with it, love the smell of it.  But the slight possibility of it raw in a dish - say in salsa - or in large, chunky quantities (like on pizza) - or a whole raw clove??? gag!!  Can do creamy roasted cloves but no, cannot do raw or undercooked.  Will I be lambasted for this?  E-gulleteers do not seem to have jumped on the everything tastes better with loads of garlic bandwagon, but who knows?

oh, the tagine thread reminds me: i can't stand even hint of cinnamon in any savory (and most sweet) dishes...

that's just not right.  cinnamon is the secret ingredient in everything.  i bet you've had cinnamon, loved it, and didn't know it.  you are crazy. :raz:

Don't worry, Wilfrid, you're not entirely alone. I don't like raw tomatoes myself. Cooked, they're delicious, but raw.. it's just not as appealing to me.

And oysters. The first I tried, which was at Fuller's in Seattle, came with a 'Seafood Appetizer'. After my brothers and I had devoured the other two offerings, all that remained were two oysters. I took one, deciding, might as well try it. I gulped it down with a cringe on my face and proceded to take many sips of a beverage.

And I'm sure I'll get a lot of criticism for this, but I wonder, is the hype surrounding foie gras justified? I tried it and thought it tasted, well, bad. The texture is desirable, the way it melts in your mouth, but otherwise.. yuck. Is the texture, like caviar, the main draw?

my moms/grandmothers stuffed cabbage....slavic version...sauerkraut, pork neck bones, bacon...heh first time someone served me the tomato sauce version I almost gagged.

With my relatives version, god if it sat for a couple of days it was orgasmic.

And my stuffed pork chops.

I used to take nice thick ones, strip the kin from pork sage sausages and cook the meat...into the processor with a handful of walnuts and pulse it....stuff the chops...sear them then into the oven.

Garlic mash spuds, german style sauerkraut and maybe fried apples on the side.

nyfirepatrolchef_10-26, uh, is this the right thread? Sounds nice.

Oh. reading cabrales on the NYC forum reminds me: I loathe chocolate.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

And oysters. The first I tried, which was at Fuller's in Seattle, came with a 'Seafood Appetizer'. After my brothers and I had devoured the other two offerings, all that remained were two oysters. I took one, deciding, might as well try it. I gulped it down with a cringe on my face and proceded to take many sips of a beverage.

This is all personal and subjective but oysters, IMHO, are sublime.  Like having something that, at its best, conveys the very essence of the ocean as perhaps certain mushrooms convey the essence of the soil and a perfectly grilled piece of meat conveys the essence of fire.  Now what conveys the essence of air?

This is all personal and subjective but oysters, IMHO, are sublime.  Like having something that, at its best, conveys the very essence of the ocean as perhaps certain mushrooms convey the essence of the soil and a perfectly grilled piece of meat conveys the essence of fire.  Now what conveys the essence of air?

air?   you mean wind.  as in earth, wind, ocean, and fire...  which was a little known pop group in the seventies.  that is, until they fired billy ocean, and finally became earth, wind, and fire.  E,W&F went on to produce a brilliant album entitled All n All.  billy ocean went on to produce a couple of pop hits in the 80's that ensured i got my ass kicked in high school.

so, to answer your question:  "here's my lunch money, please don't hit me :sad:"

nyfirepatrolchef_10-26, that's fine. But the initial question posed was

"Inspired by the "Worst thing you eat" thread, I'm curious about what things we DON'T eat.  Things which are otherwise accepted as great by the rest of the food-loving world."

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I don't like raw tomatoes either. I probably would have worked around that by now, except I am genuinely allergic to them and so I have a reason not to develop a taste for them. I don't order or prepare dishes based on raw tomatoes (gazpacho, panzanella) and I pick them out of salads and order sandwiches without them. I dislike the texture and the flavor both.

air?   you mean wind.  as in earth, wind, ocean, and fire...  

No, as in the four elements of our life here on earth.  They are the very things that comprise our existence here and have been studied and dissected by scientists, artists, writers, etc. for eons.

air?   you mean wind.  as in earth, wind, ocean, and fire...  

No, as in the four elements of our life here on earth.  They are the very things that comprise our existence here and have been studied and dissected by scientists, artists, writers, etc. for eons.

stef, if you look up you might see a joke flying by.  jeesh.  "earth, air, ocean, and fire" was just too hard to work with.

Margaret:  no soft shell crab??!!  that's just not right!