• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the BEST thing you DON'T eat?

Now there are some foods I can certainly do without such as peanut butter, but the only thing that I have repeatedly and consciously tried to like for years and years without success is buttermilk. I don't like any milk on it's own terms but I loathe the dreaded buttermilk.

Everything I hate, Jason loves: Blue cheese, olives, caviar

Conversely, I love things he hates, like cooked fish. And liver, but only chopped chicken liver, or pate. But not beef liver. And neither in their original form, sauteed or broiled, with or without bacon. Liver is one thing bacon can't salvage.

Oh, I don't like runny eggs either. If I get eggs benedict, or any other type of egg with a runny yolk, I just eat the whites.

I must be unique.

I don't dislike anything.  Now, this is assuming we're talking about food MOST PEOPLE eat, and not fried cockroaches, boiled grasshoppers, and chocolate covered fire ants.  For that, I'd have to be severely stoned and hypnotized.

Tommy's avatar can hypnotize me, and then we'd be halfway there....LOL.

If its in front of me, chances are I'll eat it.  Of course, I have to be in the mood for it though.

But there is one thing and thats HONEY......eeeeek.  Even if some gets on my fingers I'm repulsed.  If I can taste it, I gag.

Honey? What could possibly be so repulsive about honey? Most of the others I can understand,even if I don't share the loathing, but honey?

Pineapple in savoury dishes.  

Winot,I believe you're London based. At the Viet Hoa Cafe in Shoreditch they do the most fantastic soup called Can Hua (or something like that) which contains(among other things) okra,tomatoes and pineapple.Its the best thing on the menu and guaranteed to change your mind.

Oysters on the half shell. I just can't acquire a taste for them. But for some reason I did acquire a taste for Kumamoto oysters. Don't ask me why. Maybe it's because they are small and plump like clams? I really need to get over this flaw in my culinary exploits. Sometimes I feel like going to New Orleans and forcing myself to only eat oysters meal after meal until I acquire a taste for them. Didn't Jeffrey Steingarten say that in his book? That no matter what food you dislike, after eating it 10 times in a row you will acquire a taste for it.

Sometimes I feel like going to New Orleans and forcing myself to only eat oysters meal after meal until I acquire a taste for them.

Why? This is torture. I simply do not understand it. Seriously, is it considered "not okay" in the culinary world to dislike a particular food? I can understand trying things more than once, cooked differently, etc. Even trying the same food again after some time has elapsed, because tastebuds certainly change. But I don't understand this idea of "forcing" oneself to like something. I'd like to hear your perspectives on this. Thanks.

Pineapple in savoury dishes.  

Winot,I believe you're London based. At the Viet Hoa Cafe in Shoreditch they do the most fantastic soup called Can Hua (or something like that) which contains(among other things) okra,tomatoes and pineapple.Its the best thing on the menu and guaranteed to change your mind.

Tony,

Yes I am London based and have been to Viet Hoa a number of times but never tried the pineapple soup (for obvious reasons).  I will certainly give it a go, though I may need to visit The Foundry beforehand to get "dutched up".

And if it tastes as I anticipate I will seek you out and you will feel my pineapple-wrath.

W.

The Foundry is a truly grim place run by little rich boys who set it up ( and a not great publishing company ) with daddy's money.  Pissy lager etc etc.  Almost as horrible as that Grand central across the road.

how could you Winot?  you seemed a person of consummate style, grace, wit and dare I say elan.

S

The Foundry is a truly grim place run by little rich boys who set it up ( and a not great publishing company ) with daddy's money.  Pissy lager etc etc.  Almost as horrible as that Grand central across the road.

Pissy lager?  Pitfield's Eco Warrior?  And I thought you were ... etc.

Though it is grim, I'll give you that.  Keeps out the City boys though.  And you can always sit outside and gaze fondly on the Great Eastern traffic junction.

I don't know, next you'll be telling me you don't like Smersh.

Cakewalk - It isn't that one isn't allowed to dislike foods, it's just that I can be objective about it. I trust the palates of people I know and respect that they are good. And I realize it is my loss that I haven't acquired a taste for them. Why I don't like then probably has more to do with how I was raised (kosher) than anything else. I didn't have a taste for clams on the half shell either but my wife did so I grew to like them. But she doesn't like oysters either.

I feel like a freak, there is nothing I wont eat (except on ethical grounds). Did have broad beans, brussel sprouts and broccoli, but then I tasted them after somebody other then my mother cooked them.

Honey? Condensed bee vomit sure, but nice condensed bee vomit isn't it?

With all respect to Jinmyo, I dislike water chestnuts very much.  However, I do not consider them (i.e., the water chestnuts) to be tasty food that I do not eat because they are not tasty in the first place.   :confused:

Maybe the trying it 10 times thing does work.  I mean, I keep trying fennel over and over and over and sometimes it's even tolerable.  I'm not sure I"ll ever seek it out, but maybe it'll stay tolerable at some point.  That's different from being totally repulsed by it, which has been the case.

I have an embarrassing and inexplicable one:  fresh tomatoes.  Like Plotnicki with oysters, I would like to get over it, as I know I'm missing out.  I have tried.  I have sat down in front of a tomato and tried to eat it.  Can't.  I don't know why - it doesn't make me vomit or burst out in a rash - it's just completely unpalatable.

I no longer pick pieces of fresh tomato out of a salad - I used to when I was a kid.  If it's mixed with something, I can eat it.  And any kind of cooked tomato, tomato puree, tomato ketchup, etc, is fine.

Another embarrassing one: I can and will eat avocado, but I just don't see what's nice about it.  Guacamole likewise.

With all respect to Jinmyo, I dislike water chestnuts very much.  However, I do not consider them (i.e., the water chestnuts) to be tasty food that I do not eat because they are not tasty in the first place.   :confused:

cabrales, if they are not tasty in the first place how do they taste to you so that you dislike them very much?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I have an embarrassing and inexplicable one:  fresh tomatoes.  Like Plotnicki with oysters, I would like to get over it, as I know I'm missing out.  I have tried.  I have sat down in front of a tomato and tried to eat it.  Can't.  I don't know why - it doesn't make me vomit or burst out in a rash - it's just completely unpalatable.

I no longer pick pieces of fresh tomato out of a salad - I used to when I was a kid.  If it's mixed with something, I can eat it.  And any kind of cooked tomato, tomato puree, tomato ketchup, etc, is fine.

Another embarrassing one: I can and will eat avocado, but I just don't see what's nice about it.  Guacamole likewise.

Tomatoes? God in heaven what next!

Tony -- As macrosan and other participants (except you, Andy and Steve P) have indicated, the La Trouvaille ostrich egg dish was tasty and worthy of being sampled. I noticed pheasants' eggs and unborn eggs at the Union Square market two Sundays ago, and will sample them in the next little while.  :wink:

Wilfrid, that is inexplicable. Oh well. So I guess an avacado and tomato salad is a no go, then.

Oh, I forgot. I despise and loathe fiddleheads.

edit:

Took out naked with blender photo again.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM