• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the BEST thing you DON'T eat?

Inspired by the "Worst thing you eat" thread, I'm curious about what things we DON'T eat.  Things which are otherwise accepted as great by the rest of the food-loving world.

For instance, I can't do mushrooms.  I try, but I just can't do it yet.  And seafood.  Any idea how much these things limit me when I go to a restaurant?  I'm trying very hard right now to get over the seafood thing.  Progress is being made, but I'm certainly not ready for caviar yet.

--V

Fennel, it's fennel!  I'm very ashamed.  I try, again and again, in all of its forms.  Licorice, anisette, sambuca, ouzo, shaved fennel, fennel seeds - whatever.  I just can't stand the damn thing.

The only time I came close was eating buccatini con le sarde which had some fennel in it, but I think it was mostly because the sardine flavor was so intense that the fennel got lost.

Cilantro. I love ceviche, but without cilantro. Usually, I have to cobble up my own version.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Red Beets, the yellow version is fine, but something in a red beet makes it hard to swallow. However, I use beet juice for color in a lot of dishes.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Boiled eggs.

(Sorry cabrales.)

Miss J

Even if they're humerous eggs?

:raz:

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Egg salad.

It makes no sense: I love eggs, fried, soft boiled, coddled, soufleed, scrambled.... and I love mayonnaise, smeared on a ripe tomato, mixed in all sorts of salads...

But put the tow together and it makes me gag!

Desserts. Anything sweet. Feh.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I usually brag that there is nothing I wouldn't eat.  Of course, that doesn't mean that I don't have my own personal food heirarchy.  

But there is one thing and thats HONEY......eeeeek.  Even if some gets on my fingers I'm repulsed.  If I can taste it, I gag.

Name anything else, brains, lung, alligator, raw shrimp, anything, I eat it and usually really like it except for h-o-n-e-y.