• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Everything but the Oink?

Smithy

The titles pretty much say it all. We bought a hog, butchered, last year. I've learned, more or less, to render the leaf lard and use it. The steaks, chops, hams, etc. are nearly history. Last night when I was digging through the freezer I found some remnants yet - oh joy, pork chops in our future! However, I also found several packages of pork liver - so many packages, in fact, that I wonder whether we got someone else's into the bargain.

I have no idea what to do with pork liver. The most I can claim to know is from an old Mason Williams "Them Poem" about "Them Hog Liver Likers", and 'Getcherself some hog liver, rare back and like it' is not very helpful. Shall I feed it to the dog, or is there something more constructive to do with it?

Ideas and recipes, please!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dredge lightly, sear briefly (should be very rare), slice thinly, serve with wild mushroom polenta or risotto, a mound of caramelized onion, a few drops of balsamico tradizionale.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

The titles pretty much say it all.  We bought a hog, butchered, last year.  I've learned, more or less, to render the leaf lard and use it.  The steaks, chops, hams, etc. are nearly history.  Last night when I was digging through the freezer I found some remnants yet - oh joy, pork chops in our future!  However, I also found several packages of pork liver - so many packages, in fact, that I wonder whether we got someone else's into the bargain. 

I have no idea what to do with pork liver.  The most I can claim to know is from an old Mason Williams "Them Poem" about "Them Hog Liver Likers", and 'Getcherself some hog liver, rare back and like it' is not very helpful. Shall I feed it to the dog, or is there something more constructive to do with it?

Ideas and recipes, please!

Throw them out.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I saw shrink wrapped pork uteruses (uteri?) in a market recently. Can't imagine what you do with those!

The only uteruses eaten as human food are those from non-pregnant pigs. They are generally poached or boiled ... I know, offal, just horrible!

source for this information :hmmm:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Ooh, looks like the dog won't be getting any of this after all. Thanks, folks - keep 'em coming! Pointers on how to make a terrine of this, or what makes a coarse country pate, will also be appreciated. :smile:

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Dredge lightly, sear briefly (should be very rare), slice thinly, serve with wild mushroom polenta or risotto, a mound of caramelized onion, a few drops of balsamico tradizionale.

This makes me very, very sorry I don't have some defrosting RIGHT NOW so I could have it tonight.

Pointers on how to make a terrine of this, or what makes a coarse country pate, will also be appreciated.  :smile:

How about this one? by Tony Bourdain himself!

Pâté de Campagne

by Anthony Bourdain with Jose de Meirelles & Phillippe Lajaunie

from Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I would be careful about any preparation that would eating the liver rare or pink. This should only be done with very fresh liver (from a young pig ideally), not frozen.

The liver pates may be the ideal solution... I don't know though - a delicate like liver may not survive freezing too well.

I saw shrink wrapped pork uteruses (uteri?) in a market recently. Can't imagine what you do with those!

The only uteruses eaten as human food are those from non-pregnant pigs. They are generally poached or boiled ... I know, offal, just horrible!

source for this information :hmmm:

Well, my first impulse at this line of commentary is to be glad I didn't get the entire package (sans oink) after all. How small-minded is that? :raz: Maybe sometime when I'm looking for adventure I'll go seek some out.

My favourite way of eating pork livers takes only a few minutes to cook. Thinly slice the liver. Heat a few tablespoons of oil (plain cooking oil) - keep it very hot. Thinly shred lots of spring onions and wash some fresh coriander (cilantro). Have soy sauce and sesame oil at hand.

Boil a pot of water then blanch the livers - don't overcook or they'll be awful. Drain them then put onto a platter or shallow bowl. Pile the spring onions and fresh coriander on top then pour on the oil - it should be hot enough that it sizzles and wilts the greens. Drizzle with soy sauce and sesame oil and serve immediately.

This also works very well with sliced pork kidneys - be sure to wash them well and remove the white core and veins.

I read this as Elephant Liver Pate. You would need a big bowl to prepare that.

I like pork liver much better than calve's liver. Dice up and fry some bacon, slice a whole lot of onions, quickly fry the slices of liver, and brown the onions in the pan while you keep the liver warm.

sparrowgrass

I would be careful about any preparation that would eating the liver rare or pink.  This should only be done with very fresh liver (from a young pig ideally), not frozen.

Would you elaborate on that, please? I'm curious both about the pig's age and the freezing bit. Why would those determine the level to which the liver was to be cooked?

Edited for clarity

Edited by Smithy (log)