• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good russian recipes for a dinner party?

Since no one mentioned desserts or appetizers, my answer will deal with them.

As far as appetizers go, zakuski are Russian appetizers. They are the equivalent of mezze or antipasti, there are numerous varieties of these, and serving just one thing as an appetizer is a less Russian thing to do. Ideally, you should be offering a selection. Try looking in the 'appetizers' section of the second link I give below. You could try, for example, eggplant 'caviar' (nothing to do with caviar, it's mashed eggplant salad, along the lines of baba ghanouj), vinegret (the original 'Russian salad').

There are also some ideas for zakuski here.

Pate would also count as good zakuski material, and so would the blinis mentioned above.

All should, of course, be washed down with vodka. Russian etiquette demands that a bottle of vodka, once opened, should be finished. :shock: No wimpy small quantities of vodka here. :biggrin:

Desserts.

These are suggested keeping in mind what is in season at the moment, and choosing things which can be made ahead with minimal effort (important especially if you ARE going to serve a lot of zakuski)

Sharlotka, , i.e. Russian apple charlotte which, while invented in France, is extremely popular in Russia. The recipe here would be even better if the bread were not white, but instead sourish rye bread.

Alternatively: kisel, made with any sourish berry of your choice, no need for them to be the ones given here, but they should ideally be sour. The amount of cornstarch in this recipe might be a bit excessive. Some people like their kisel quite thick, but I personally think it better if just very slightly thickened. Serve well chilled with generous amounts of cream.

This is popular in Germany, too, under the name 'Kaltschale'. If you search for that as a keyword, you'll probably get more hits and ideas for it (though I haven't looked to verify this).

Or: Gogol mogol. Not the recipe given on this site (that recipe is NOT gogol mogol) Try this one instead (scroll down to find it). Essentially, it's the Russian version of sabayon/zabaglione, however its also very popular in Russia.