• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What do you call a professional who makes cocktails?

Alchemist

after 14 years making cocktails in various parts of the world, and even though now i work as the operations manager for a group of very successful cocktail bars clubs and restaurants if someone asks me what i am, i'm a bartender.

sure some bartenders are better than others,

some restaurants serve better steaks than others - there still all steaks though.

some waiters are better than others, they don't go calling themselves 'food delivery technicians' or 'meal placement directors'. they're waiters.

all these new wonderful names to describe work which is essentially bartending to me just serve to confuse people and do nothing to promote the value of the position.

i'm proud to be a bartender, and never happier when actually behind a bar, making good drinks and making sure everyone enjoys themselves. i think if you have the creativity to use flambed pineapple and pickled ginger to make a superb cocktail, or can spin 4 bottles above your head while doing it without killing anyone (or breaking anything) then that makes you a great bartender,

but still a bartender.

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

I couldn't agree more; bartender suits me just fine. I'm almost fascinated by how uncomfortable so many people are with the term. There shouldn't be any need for exhaltations; we should be focusing more on how to reestablish a sense of pride and dignity for the title. Maybe start with perfecting something simple like a whiskey sour?

Can we please not call them (us ) bar chefs.

Enablers? Saviours? Incredibly nice and accomodating human beings?

I'm good with bartender, myself.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007