• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wedding Venue - Pretty, handles 250+, caterer ok?

John Tracey

Wedding Location - Pretty, handle 250+ people, and allows outside catering. Does this exist? A friend is looking for places in NJ and most so far as saying "no thanks" on the outside caterer. Rather than rent an ugly hall I thought a nice B&B or some sort of club might rent out their buildings for wedding. Not sure if anyone has any thoughts.

Take care!

John T.

There is an historic property (gardens and house) in Bloomfiled, the Oakside cultural center. I don't know how many people they hold or if they allow outside caterers. I was at a pretty large wedding there and it was serviced by an offsite service. You could also try a park, maybe something with a nice pavilion or gazebo, and rent everything else. The Montclair womens club rents out their building (again I don't know the amount of people it can hold).

Good Luck

the Hermitage in HoHoKus maybe.......I emailed my mother she was a party planner for Taylor Rental

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Mountain House, Princeton. American boys Choir School, Princeton

BoyChoir School may have gone exclusive.

Mountain House can't take 250.

Any place that you need that large is very likely to be exclusive.

I'd look at beach clubs and museums, but a lot of them won't be able to handle 250.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

gee all i had to do was check my "favorties list" I once thought of starting my own business...re wedding stuff

http://www.theknot.com/ch_article_local.ht...RSEY&market=073

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

If you have an outside caterer already, s/he should have a list of places to give you, instead of the other way around!

Having run many events in northern NJ over the past (aaack...just did the math) 15+ years, I can tell you that there aren't many venues that can hold more than 250. Agreed re: country clubs, museums (Newark Museum is beautiful, btw and has parking/valets) and private clubs (i.e. Park Avenue Club in Florham Park or the Newark Club, which has a great view of northern NJ and NYC). Universities also have some spaces that they will rent out (think Rutgers, FDU, Drew, Princeton). There is also a mansion in Montclair that is rented out for events.

A little more info would help (i.e. they hate art, so museums are out--think baseball stadiums or farms) as would the area of NJ.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

This is where Rachel and I got married:

http://brooklakecountryclub.com/about1.html

They can handle up to 375, and the outdoor location is gorgeous for picture taking, provided the weather permits. I also know for a fact they bring in outside caterers on request, they do a lot of Indian weddings and a local restaurant, Moghul, does the food for them.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Agreed that Brooklake is a lovely spot--but don't you have to be 'sponsored' by a member if you aren't one?

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

I'm not sure about that... why would they have a website for requesting information about holding events and weddings there?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In general for 250 w/dance floor, hotels are your best bet. That said, Pleasantdale Chateau in West Orange, Crystal Plaza in Livingston are great places. There is a new place in Bridgewater something Palace. I'm not sure of the capacity of Oakside in Bloomfield, but the owner also has a spectacular place in Sussex County, Skylands manor, frungillo.com.

Here is the most incredible place to get married in the whole state. It costs a fortune, don't know what the budget is:

bonnet island estate

2400 East Bay Avenue, Bonnet Island, 609-494-9100; www.bonnetislandestate.com

The Bonnet Island Estate, located on Bonnet Island in Barnegat Bay, was originally built in the late 1800s and has been rebuilt by the Vernon family, combining the grandeur of a nineteenth-century Southern beach mansion with the luxury of today. And since the estate is surrounded by the Forsythe National Wildlife Refuge, you’ll feel like you’re on your own private island. The Great room can host a brunch, cocktail reception, or an afternoon tea. The Ballroom can accommodate up to 250 for dinner and dancing. A chapel is also available for a rustic ceremony or an intimate reception. Their exclusive catering service offers specialties from their award-winning chef. Twelve suites are available for you and your guests. You can rent the entire estate or just the common areas on the first floor. Lease rates start at $13,000.

Pleasantdale Chateau in West Orange, Crystal Plaza in Livingston are great places.

Agreed, on both counts--but PC gets pretty tight over 200 people, and CP won't let an outside caterer in, as they're Kosher. But fwiw, CP does fabulous off-site catering themselves...and your guests wouldn't have a clue that they're Kosher! They used to cater my 600-attendee gala (held at the BLEAH Hanover Marriott, but we needed the space).

Ridgewood Women's club, ridgewood. My cousin had her wedding there recently and used an outside caterer.

We had our wedding there 10 years and 361 days ago - but who is counting? (and no, I don't know where I am taking her for dinner...either The Jefferson or Anthony David)

It is a very nice space, the people there were very helpful and they work very well with outside caterers. I think, however, it would be really tight for 250. Please do check with them - we had a wonderful experience there.

Bill

PS if you do go there and they give you a scaled plan with little table templates to cut out, I made that for them :)

"There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry." - Mark Twain

"Please pass the bacon." - Me