• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A gift has arrived: fig essence

Gifted Gourmet

When I received this, I was thrilled and it was only later that I realized that it had to be used in some special way. The giver said that it could be drizzled lightly on cheeses.

Anyone know what else might be another alternative?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Gee, good for the skin and a laxative all in the same dollop? What am I waiting for? Just deciding where to rub it first ... :laugh:

Just read this:

Add to milk as a substitute for chocolate, use to sweeten your coffee or use as a coffee substitute, dilute with water to make a fig juice energizer, or use in baking.
the source for the quote

Figgie milk? sell that to some innocent kid, I dare ya!

How about some recipes?

Okay, okay. Here's a couple of ideas that ran through my head while driving to pick up the kids at school:

Beef Braised in Barolo with Fig Essence

Grilled Lamb Chops with Frizzled Ginger and Scallions with Creamed Spinach and Pignoli

Roasted Quail in a Pomegranate-Fig Essence Marinade with Batter Fried Plantains and Byzantine Rice Pilaf

Cherry Blintzes with Fig Essence

Vanilla Cheesecake in Hazelnut Crust with Hot Chocolate-Coffee-Fig Essence Sauce

Sigh. Yeah. I'm off now to dole out the Gatorade and the Rainbow Goldfish Crackers to my attentive and always hungry little ones. :wink:

Hmmm… Fig Essence sounds wonderful. When I visited France a few years ago, I tasted a Fig Liqueur that was really good. Wasn’t ever able to find it in the States, though.

OK, so a couple of things occur to me about how to use your fig essence:

1) Fig Vinaigrette salad dressing

2) Fig and Honey Ice-Cream (google it)

3) Popular to brush on fish or meat while grilling, or in BBQ sauce

4) Roasted Acorn Squash drizzled with fig essence

5) Drizzle over yogurt or ice-cream

6) Sauté some Vidalia Onions with it, yum!

7) Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Also, I’d be tempted to try it, in place of vanilla, in Julia Child’s Vanilla Pound Cake (Baking with Julia by Dorie Greenspan). I’ve used Fiori Di Sicilia in the recipe and it’s incredible!

Of course, if you like chocolate why not try to flavor a basic truffle recipe with the essence.

I’ve never tasted fig essence before, so take these suggestions with a grain of fleur de sel. Enjoy!

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Now bring us some figgy pudding,

And bring some out here.

For we all like figgy pudding,

So bring some out here.

And we won't go until we've got some,

So bring some out here.

And bring some out here.

So bring some out here.

So bring some out here.

Now why did you have to go and do that?

I do believe that this is the way that the British Empire was managed for so many years. Go around singing inane nursery rhymes with lilting little rhythms that will not leave anyone's mind that hears them for days, days, weeks, months, till the entire countryside submits just to get some peace and quiet and escape from the figgy pudding music torture.

Aaaaargh.

Hmmm… Fig Essence sounds wonderful.  When I visited France a few years ago, I tasted a Fig Liqueur that was really good.  Wasn’t ever able to find it in the States, though.

Just last week I was trying to convince my wife to buy some fresh figs for liqueur; but, she said it was a waste of good figs. <sigh> Well, plus, I have filled all my luminarc jars with various macerating fruits and aging liqueurs already. I guess I'll try to hold out until pomegranate and maybe quince season for my next liqueur endeavors.

binkyboots had a what sounded to be a tasty recipe for dried fig liqueur in this post.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Exactly what does it look like? Flavor extract, boiled down fig juice, smushed figs?

I buy the Mt Vikos roasted figs that are packed in a thick dark syrupy goo that I adore. Great with fruit and stilton or brushed on grilled chicken.

binkyboots had a what sounded to be a tasty recipe for dried fig liqueur in this post.

Thanks, Eric! I'll definitely add that recipe for Fig Liqueur to my recipe collection.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

mmm.. figs.

yes, the fig vodka is gorgeous, better now it's getting older I think.

essence of figs, sounds gorgeous, can you take a picture of the bottle? must try and track some down.

is it thick like molasses? if so I guess I'd most likely go simple (I are simple) cheese, bread, good butter....

Spam in my pantry at home.

Think of expiration, better read the label now.

Spam breakfast, dinner or lunch.

Think about how it's been pre-cooked, wonder if I'll just eat it cold.

wierd al ~ spam

And bring some out here.

So bring some out here.

So bring some out here.

There you go. Deconstructed figgy pudding.

Place pile of raisins on plate.

Place pile of almonds next to them.

Whip some butter with confectioners sugar, pipe out into pretty rosette.

Pour fig essence over.

Carry to table, pour brandy over and light.

Enjoy!

(Sorry, it must be the effect of the song which is STILL running through my head. :biggrin: )

can you take a picture of the bottle? must try and track some down.

The Villa Pandolfelli Fig Syrup which is available from gourmetfoodmall.com and Amazon and igourmet for about $11 ...

Figs grow in abundance here and are very much a part of Pugielese cuisine. Villa Pandolfelli’s fig syrup is made from dried figs without additives or preservatives. The result is a concentrated and flavorful syrup. Try fig syrup on a salad with walnut oil and some goat cheese, drizzled on mozzarella with proscuitto, over scallops, even liven up plain yogurt with a touch of syrup and honey. Fantastic with duck and game.

I think you should order up a whole foie gras and a pound of thin-sliced proscuitto (or good southern ham); slice up the liver into pork chop sized slabs (ok, maybe a little smaller :biggrin: ) and brown over high heat, garnish with the ham and drizzle the fig-juice over the whole thing in lace-like patters. A little brioche toast couldn't hurt.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

When I received this, I was thrilled and it was only later that I realized that it had to be used in some special way. The giver said that it could be drizzled lightly on cheeses.

Brushed on a newton?

SB :shock:

Brushed on a newton?

:laugh::laugh:

I read this as "brushed on a newborn"

Danielle Altshuler Wiley

a.k.a. Foodmomiac

Brushed on a newton?

:laugh::laugh:

I read this as "brushed on a newborn"

Yikes! :shock:

Then again, my just-two grandson loves fig newtons?

SB (as do I) :raz: