• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Battered Halibut

Marlene

I don't eat a lot of fish (read almost never), but the one thing I do enjoy is battered halibut from my local fish and chip place. Being on my own this week, I'm inspired to try replicating this dish in my home, but I'm not quite sure where to start.

The batter? What kind?

Deep fryer or stovetop frying?

And last but not least, my stupid question for the day. Is halibut boneless usually when you buy it? If not, how do I get the bones out and how can I tell whether the fish is fresh?

Ok, ok, I'm a fish virgin. :blink:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I can't advise on battering and frying, but this info is an easy look up, and it will probably appear in the following posts. But I'm a stickler for fresh fish, and halibut is problematic if you are so far inland. If you have a fishmonger you can trust, they will sell boneless fillets of good quality (i.e. only a few days old, and well kept at every stage of travel).

Deep frozen is another possibility, and again you have to search for it and trust the fishmonger. My starting point would be Taro's at Victoria Park and Steeles, but there may somebody closer. In a previous thread, Jamie Maw recommended thawing 'deep frozen' on ice slowly in the fridge for a couple of days, and he says it will be hard to distinguish from fresh.

Hope you can provide a story and photos on your quest, Marlene.

Ok, ok, I'm a fish virgin.

:laugh:

Anyway, I don't oil-fry fish, but I suspect that a beer batter would be acceptable for this purpose (others will probably chime in with receipes and such). Deep frying would work best if you are attempting to replicate a fish and chip shop, though the "special flavor" might not come through given that you're using clean oil.

Halibut has bones if you buy halibut steaks. If you buy filet pieces, it's boneless. Best bet would be to talk to your fishmonger and describe to him/her what you want to do with it.

The options that I located are here and the first one or two look quite appetizing ... I am not sure about batters but I might just make a potato flake type batter for halibut .. as I usually do, I like to saute my halibut steaks in garlic butter with some spices to liven it up further ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

How about a beer batter? 1/2 cup or so of flour, 1/4 cup cornstarch, salt (Cajun seasoning is good here), 1 beaten egg, salt, 3/4 cup or so beer. Let stand for an hour. It should be like pancake batter. If it's too thick, add more beer. Dip the fish in flour then in the batter and fry in 2 - 3" of vegetable oil.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

We have come close to replicating the battered halibut served at the Thistle in Burlington, ON using a beer batter.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I am certain that Anna N will get back to you with her recipe ... but until then how about

James Beard's recipe which is oh so light?

The ultimate batter for deep frying...

Whether it's ale, lager, pilsner, or stout, is terrific for cooking. Beer makes a batter for deep frying and smoothes a French onion soup. This is the late James Beard's recipe for batter to French fry vegetables. Trim your vegetables, wash, dry thoroughly, dust with flour, dip into the batter, and fry in oil at 360F. until done. It's far better for deep frying halibut, cod or any other seafood. The batter puffs up because of the beer's yeast, fries  quickly, and as a result, doesn't overcook.

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I thought abused fish too... I had to check it out, you never know. What about a tempura?

I just can't see anyone whaling away at a cowering flatfish, but that could just be a lack of imagination. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I don't think tempura batters (or panko) quite mimics what comes out of a typical fish & chips shop. Unless Marlene frequents a chip place that serves halibut tempura with Peruvian blue potato fries? (hey! recipe idea)

Edited by wattacetti (log)

Marlene, Its not halibut, but I've been deep frying (stovetop) cod for about a year now. I keep playing with the basic recipe to perfect it but here it is:

1 cup AP flour

1 bottle beer (I like Michelobe Amberboch)

S/P/Tabasco to taste (be generous!)

I find it is important to pat dry the fish first and then put a light coating of flour on it. Then dip it into the batter right before frying. A real trick is to make sure your fish pieces are sized appropriately. My DH does the cutting on these, about 1/2 inch thick by 2 - 3 inches wide. The fry temp I start with is about 375F to accomodate for the temperature drop.

My next round of fish will likely substitute about 1/4 cup of corn starch for the flour to see if it is less greasy.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Happy Cooking!

Genny

We have come close to replicating the battered halibut served at the Thistle in Burlington, ON using a beer batter.

Anna, do you have a good recipe for a beer batter?

Not mine but Suzanne F's (I tried to link to her original post but failed):

The recipe I've been using since 1976, adapted from Family Circle magazine (!):

1 can or bottle of beer, bubbly or flat, cold or warm

an equal volume of AP flour

(a large pinch of salt -- my addition)

Mix until goopy. Let sit 3 hours, refrigerated or at room temp.

Thanks, Suzanne F :wub:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

This is all good. I mentioned to my son tonight at music lessons that I was planning on performing this experiment. I'm now under instructions to wait until he arrives on Sunday. So Sunday it shall be.

I'll do my best to take pics.

Regular corn oil for frying?

Marlene

Battered Halibut! Abusive flogging!! Frying in oil, medievel style? By a fish virgin!!!

This should be a great dinner, and we are all waiting for the results.

Here is a simple beer batter recipe by Albert Stockli, from his days at Restaurant Associates.

He had problems using corn starch, eggs, and baking powder or soda, so he settled on:

12 oz pale beer

1 cup all purpose flour

1T salt

1T paprika

Pour the beer into a bowl, and mix in the dry ingredients with a whisk until frothy.

Use right away, dredging the fish (or vegetables, or blossoms etc.,) in seasoned flour before dipping. Stockli used corn oil for frying, but as a loyal Canadian, I use Canola (formerly rapeseed).

I picked up some lovely (at least they look lovely to me) halibut filets today. I will take pictures just as soon as my son arrives with his digital camera tomorrow, since my camera is currently in Honk Kong!

The lady was very helpful. She trimmed them and took the skin off the back for me, so I should be all set.

Marlene

Interestingly, some recipes call for cornstarch and some dont. What's the purpose of the cornstarch?

Marlene

My granmother always used equal amounts (by volume) of beer and flour, adding salt for good measure. Being a good Nebraska housewife, the pepper was reserved for special company occasions. I don't get the cornstartch, either. She always very lightly floured the fish before dipping into the batter. Oh, and the batter was always made an hour or two ahead of time and let sit on the kitchen counter.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Marlene, an Orly-style batter is also delicious for fried firm-fleshed fish (like halibut.)

Here's my recipe:

12oz sifted flour

Pinch of salt

½ oz dry yeast

2c tepid water

Sift flour and salt into bowl. Make a well. Cream yeast into water and add to well. Incorporate until batter is a smooth paste. Let sit at least 45 minutes before using to proof.

I like to use Wondra with fish.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

The traditional medium for deep frying battered fish (and chips), if you want the English fish and chip taste, is beef fat. I know, it sounds weird and unhealthy. But it makes a big difference, and beef fat is still what's used in many chip shops in England (and at least one in Vancouver, where I first learned this trick). The crust comes out crispier and tastes better.

I don't know if you can find rendered beef fat anywhere outside restaurant suppliers in Canada, however. It usually comes in 10 kilo boxes.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

I doubt if I'll find beef fat between tonight and tomorrow night's dinner. I will search around for it though.

Ok, guys, I'll bite. What's an Orly-style batter?

And what's Wondra? :blink:

Marlene

I doubt if I'll find beef fat between tonight and tomorrow night's dinner.  I will search around for it though.

Ok, guys, I'll bite.  What's an Orly-style batter?

And what's Wondra? :blink:

Dont know about Orly, unless she means New Orleans. Wondra is a flour that comes in a can, its very fine and its usually used for gravy.