• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If You Were a Food, What Would You Be?

Carrot Top

If you were a food, what would you be?

Why would you be this food?

(If you are too complex to be one single food item, then please feel free to expand yourself to a meal. . . :biggrin: )

I dare any HR person out there to use this in an interview. :laugh:

Pasta and sauce. Simple and straightforward, adaptable and capable of dressing up or dressing down depending on the situation. Sometimes lusty like a good Putanesca, sometimes elegant like a smoked salmon and cream concoction, sometimes a comforting old familiar friend like Bolognese. Yup. That's what I'd be.

Sightly OT followup. One of my favorite interview questions is "If the movie of your life were being made, who would you cast as yourself? Who would your family or friends cast as you?" Always gets revealing responses.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Well, I'll take creme brulee: a shiny brittle shell that cracks when tapped - only to reveal lucsious decadence.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

A mushroom.

I do some of my best work in the dark.

Pigs and dogs seem to love me...lots.

And I'll kill ya if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I am left to wonder, though, why only one man (if I am correct about guessing everyone's sex) has responded.

I think that we're all trying to think of an answer that's a little less transparent than a really long, thick summer sausage.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

A Pastrami sandwich on Rye with mustard. From Katz's. With Kasha Varnishkes and a bottle of Cel Ray, and a pile of garlic sours.

Fatty, Juicy. Tremendous personality, incredibly satisfying, but dangerous consequences.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I am an artichoke.

The outside is full of thorns and hard to touch without getting hurt. Multi-layered, resilient, strong, and complex - getting sweeter as you get closer to the center, but with a soft, fuzzy, extraordinary heart once one has the patience to dig down to the center.

I wish I'd said that.

Hey, Carolyn, welcome back! I was about to add your name to my "whatever happened to" list.

Thank you -- I went away for a while to concentrate on becoming a full-time writer instead of a part-time, freelance writer. As I type this, I have two hours left working at a winery that has been my life for the past two years. By this evening, I will be gainfully unemployed, except for whatever writing comes my way (or I hunt down and kill), sipping a vintage 1990 Champagne to celebrate...

Thank you -- I went away for a while to concentrate on becoming a full-time writer instead of a part-time, freelance writer. As I type this, I have two hours left working at a winery that has been my life for the past two years. By this evening, I will be gainfully unemployed, except for whatever writing comes my way (or I hunt down and kill), sipping a vintage 1990 Champagne to celebrate...

All's well that ends well and here's to new beginnings, Carolyn. Cheers and bon chance!

I am an artichoke.

The outside is full of thorns and hard to touch without getting hurt. Multi-layered, resilient, strong, and complex - getting sweeter as you get closer to the center, but with a soft, fuzzy, extraordinary heart once one has the patience to dig down to the center.

I wish I'd said that.

Hey, Carolyn, welcome back! I was about to add your name to my "whatever happened to" list.

Well Cheers then! Congrats on the new direction.

Which Champagne is the celebratory quaff, if I might ask?

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I am left to wonder, though, why only one man (if I am correct about guessing everyone's sex) has responded.

I think that we're all trying to think of an answer that's a little less transparent than a really long, thick summer sausage.

Yeah, and who are more likely :raz: limp weenies.

Disclaimer: inspired by my ex, not anyone on this board.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I am an artichoke.

I wish I'd said that.

Well Cheers then! Congrats on the new direction.

Which Champagne is the celebratory quaff, if I might ask?

It was a going away gift from one of our wine club members: G. Michel a Pierry - Epernay, Blanc de Blanc

and, as it turns out, Shawn has to work late... so I'll probably save it now, not wanting to drink it all alone!

Cultured sweet butter. Great cold. soft. melted. whipped. you get the picture.

Seems a little simple\ordinary but is a major player and you always know when someone has substituted something else for it-'cause it's crap.

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who

A mushroom.

I do some of my best work in the dark.

Pigs and dogs seem to love me...lots. 

And I'll kill ya if you don't know what the hell you're doing.

i'd be a mushroom too but for different reasons........

namely because people like to keep me in the dark and feed me a lot of horseshit.....

Hubby just said that he'd be a cucumber, and hope to be mis-used.  There's your male perspective.   :laugh:

I'd probably be an avocado.  Not much to look at on the outside... but smooth, creamy, unassuming, and impossible to live without once you've had one.

:biggrin: Yeah. We've gotten some interesting male responses on this one, haven't we?!

I wonder if we extended this question to everybody else. . .let's try it this way:

What food do you think your husband/wife/best friend/companion/whatever would say they are?

Does it match up with the food that you are? :smile:

lesfen and her hubby would make a nice salad, no?

My. . .paramour. . .sometimes proclaims that he is just like a piece of dry toast compared to me. Of course he says it to make me feel good. :wink:

What he didn't know was that I am a grapefruit! :rolleyes: (I didn't know it either.)

But we do match up for a nice little breakfast there, don't we.

How about you all? Do you blend or :shock: do your flavors clash. . .

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

I think I'm an egg --shiny and inscrutable, but fragile and very easy to crack.

Then I can be anything I want to be, or you want me to be. The air in your souffle, your sunny side up, your over easy, your scrambled, your devilled. I'm versatile and useful, but I'm very sulforous if ignored or mistreated.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com