• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If You Were a Food, What Would You Be?

Carrot Top

I didn't even have to think about it. I read the title and immediately thought: I'd be loaf of rustic, hand-formed sourdough.

Full of delightful contrasts of crackle, crunch, crust, and crumb.

Monetarily cheap, but a labor of love.

Can be perfected either with high tech kitchen gadgetry and precise measurements, or simply with your hands and senses.

Equally at home in a fancy french restaurant and your grandmother's kitchen.

A personality that develops as you eat it, and then lingers with you for hours afterwards. (The "thirty minute finish" :laugh: )

Like the perfect little black dress that goes with everything, yet can be the star of the evening given the right circumstance.

OK, I admit I tend to wax a little poetic about sourdough, but I swear the first time I baked a loaf I fell under some sort of enchantment.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest