• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

If You Were a Food, What Would You Be?

Carrot Top

Either a complex cassoulet with layers of flavor,

a napoleon with my extremely flaky yet creamy personality, :hmmm:

sushi for my love of "raw" sensual textures and the wasabi for my inner heat :shock:

or a pristine pear on a glass plate with a piece of exquisite bleu cheese for the simplicity I cherish ...

The whys are reflective of different aspects of my personality ... :huh:

Damn good question, Carrot Top!! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I dare any HR person out there to use this in an interview. :laugh:

Didn't Barbara Walters do interviews using similar questions? Hers were more like: "if you were a tree, what type would you be?"

This question is actually far more interesting!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

One of the New Yorker stories led with something like this, asking friends of a chef what fish he'd be, if he were a fish. I thought it was silly.

I'd be a marshmallow peep. Yellow, beady eyes, sweet on the outside, and explodes in the microwave.

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)
"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I am an artichoke.

The outside is full of thorns and hard to touch without getting hurt. Multi-layered, resilient, strong, and complex - getting sweeter as you get closer to the center, but with a soft, fuzzy, extraordinary heart once one has the patience to dig down to the center.

Edited by Carolyn Tillie (log)

Ice Cream.

I'm never cold, far from it, but I DO remain solid through tough times and the chills the world hands out. I'm completely calm and icy in any emergency, any need, any conflagration which sets most people a-jitter.

But I tend to melt at the first touch of kindness, of warmth, of dear and amazing and memorable gestures and events. And I dissolve into moosh over happy moments, babies, sweet stories, heroes, sappy movies, country ballads, flag-wavings, patriotic music, heroes, Lassie rescues, memories of childhood, the memories of my elders, and heroes.

Did I mention heroes? There seem to be so many about these days.

But, like Ouiser, I ain't as sweet as I used to be.

Wow!

What wonderful replies!

I am left to wonder, though, why only one man (if I am correct about guessing everyone's sex) has responded.

Is he the only man worth eating out there? :biggrin:

Or could it be that Real Men Don't Eat Quiche and that they also are not quiche either. :sad:

As for myself, I found it difficult to come up with an answer. Each thought kept turning into extensive menus which were probably more wishful than real. :raz:

As I walked through my kitchen with my mind in its generally muddled shape, though, something popped into it.

So it must be.

I am a Texas Red Grapefruit. Shiny with an attempted elegance and gloss on the outside. The color of bright spirit. A hybrid, genetically, with the urge to succeed that goes along with this. Sweet and juicy on the inside (mmm hmm :laugh: ) but with lines of structure and pith that disallow too much softness. Sometimes subject to suddenly and surprisingly spitting out acid juice in the face of those who would hold a fork to me. Full of vitamins, though.

Now the next question must be. . .

If you are a food that would or could be cooked, how would you like to be cooked? :smile:

If you were a food, what would you be?

Why would you be this food?

(If you are too complex to be one single food item, then please feel free to expand yourself to a meal. . . :biggrin: )

I dare any HR person out there to use this in an interview. :laugh:

Next opportunity I get, Wattacetti! :wink:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

A marshmallow, as I am round, and soft and very sweet.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Hubby just said that he'd be a cucumber, and hope to be mis-used. There's your male perspective. :laugh:

I'd probably be an avocado. Not much to look at on the outside... but smooth, creamy, unassuming, and impossible to live without once you've had one.

I'd be one of those Carnegie Deli-style overstuffed sandwiches. Partly because I'm just bursting with meaty goodness, partly because I love being over-the-top ... and partly because, yes, I am indeed more than a little overstuffed. :biggrin:

I am an artichoke.

The outside is full of thorns and hard to touch without getting hurt. Multi-layered, resilient, strong, and complex - getting sweeter as you get closer to the center, but with a soft, fuzzy, extraordinary heart once one has the patience to dig down to the center.

I wish I'd said that.

Hey, Carolyn, welcome back! I was about to add your name to my "whatever happened to" list.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I used to love to play this game, either in the privacy of my mind to entertain myself at parties, or while out with friends in a place where there's a good view of the bar. Such fun.

It started when a colleague referred to another of our colleagues whose name he had forgotten as "the woman who's like a big oatmeal cookie". It was perfect. She's earthy, sweet, a quiet crowd-pleaser. She has curly, sandy hair and red cheeks. She's rather heavy and wears birkenstocks. I laughed and laughed.

I guess I'd be peanut sauce. Salty. Not particularly sweet, more subtly so. Spicy. Smooth. Brown. Assertive. And capable of inducing serious breathing complications or shock in the unsuspecting or naive.