• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Food in the Florida Capital

artemisanne

Hello-

My sister just started FSU and we're going to visit her next month. I've never been to Tallahassee and am wary of what I hear of its ambiance. Anyone have suggestions? I am looking for fresh, interesting and not expensive food.

Anne E.S. Vela

Wandering fool,...

As a frequent business traveler to Tallahassee, I like Cypress the best, 320 E. Tennessee St. It's a little pricy, with entres in the $15-$30 range, but the quality is high and the service is better than most. The atmosphere is lively, not stuffy. A more casual choice is Kool Beanz, with food nearly as good and the crowd a little younger and louder. I've also enjoyed Mozaik, which is on the other side of town but owned by the same folks as Kool Beanz(with higher prices and a more upscale atmosphere). If you want southern, try the Old South, which has moved to a shopping center from its original location; we're talking casual, fluorscent lights and formica tabletops, but excellent fried chicken and greens at lunch.

• 4 weeks later...

I had an awesome meal at Cypress. Shiitake and truffle soup with cornbread, Shrimp and grits. Upscale southern but not stuffy.

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Like Davebr, I had an awesome meal at Cypress. It is fresh and interesting, but about the not expensive part, it depends on your budget. I thought it was reasonably priced for such quality and delicious food.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 1 month later...

I lived in Tallahassee for a few months a couple years ago.

Kool Beanz was pretty decent.

by far the best dining in town was at this wine store cum restaurant: Grapes and Grain or something like that. nothing else is even close (if it's still open).

some of the local downscale fish shacks are pretty good.

everything else sucked.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, i can add a little something. i went to fsu and grad in 2002. i never did any fine dining because i was too poor but i can tell you some good college student priced places. for cuban food- gordos is the best. they have a few locations. also i liked Bagel Bagel on pensacola street. they are a must!!! (esp after a long night) there was joke going around that if you hooked up with someone, the next morning he at least had to take you to bagel bagel. i am pretty sure thats the name of it. there is a fancy pants wine place called cafe cabernet. i worked next door to it at the bookstore. i ate there once. it was pretty good and all the yuppies liked it. it used to be pretty packed. i am now drawing a blank, if i think of anymore, i will post.

"i saw a wino eating grapes and i was like, dude, you have to wait"- mitch hedburg