• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bonefish

AK@Spicehouse

:biggrin:

Oddly enough, I have seen the future of seafood dining in chain restaurants. On a tip from a noted chef in Long Island, I went to Secaucus New Jersey to try out Bonefish. One of the first in an expanding chain of restaurants, brought to you from those geniuses at Outback. Gorgeous surroundings, cookie cutter I am sure, but well done, polished and far from the golden arches look. Big Salad, big cocktails, 8 fish selections, 8 sauces, 8 preparations, some other dishes. Imagine BLT Fish at $15.99 per entree. 4-6 ounce laser cut fish, tasted great, sauces that tasted like someone had made them, not poured them. Service was spectacular. Party of 8, well fed, happy and tipsy, total check was $220 with a tip. Look out world, Bonefish is coming... :biggrin:

Edited by AK@Spicehouse (log)

Looks like they have themselves a huge money maker.. I have never been to an Outback and most likely wont ever go to Bonefish.. But it looks to be one of the nicest chains I have ever seen.. Mortons, Palm and Ruth's Chris aside..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I've heard good things about those guys too.

But when I first read your post, I thought you were talking about bonefish the fish itself (which is a semi-game fish you catch with a spinning reel in coral reef shallows in the Florida Keys).

Wonder how and why they chose that name. Marketing studies or something? Why "bonefish"?

At first you would think it would turn off the average customer. "Bony" and "fish", the ideas, together.

Never mind. . .I'm just ranting on about words as usual. Carry on. :cool:

Bonefish is now in the Seattle area; my family and I have eaten a few times at the Bothell location, which happens to be across the parking lot from an Outback steakhouse. Again, for a chain restaurant, they were not at all bad. Nothing particularly unique or daring, I would characterize them as aiming for 'middle of the road' taste regarding seafood. I have had worse seafood at independent fish houses in the Seattle area.

Edited by MGLloyd (log)

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

At first you would think it would turn off the average customer. "Bony" and "fish", the ideas, together.

I'm with you on this - that was the first thing I thought!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne