• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Xoriguer gin

adt

Anyone heard of / tried this? Apparently it's the only appellation gin other than Plymouth, but 'finest gin from Menorca' doesn't have a very plausible ring about it.

Is it just a bit of marketing speil for some dodgy budget gin...? ("the brand has a strong connection with Nelson, given his many visits to the island, which is rumoured to be where Nelson’s famous affair with Lady Emma Hamilton took place. Its traditional serving is with cloudy lemonade to make what is known as a pomada.")

While we're at it, any views on Plymouth vs. London gin?

Ian

I go to bakeries, all day long.

There's a lack of sweetness in my life...

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone heard of / tried this? Apparently it's the only appellation gin other than Plymouth, but 'finest gin from Menorca' doesn't have a very plausible ring about it.

Haven't tried any -- it's not available in my locality -- but their site seems on the up-and-up. A relatively small-scale locally-produced product that's being introduced to new markets by distributors with an eye for something new and different, I gather. Interesting that it's made from grape rather than grain alcohol. Not much comment on its flavor profile, but I'd expect to see some reviews as they roll out in the UK.