• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Cake Bible" by Rose Levy Beranbaum

freddurf

We make a gallon every week; equal amounts of water and sugar. Bring to a rolling boil then cover and let cool. I then use equal amounts of the syrup and water to moisten cake layers.  You can add vanilla or juice or alcohol for flavoring if you like.  Keep the original syrup refrigerated for longer storage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JeanneCake said:

We make a gallon every week; equal amounts of water and sugar. Bring to a rolling boil then cover and let cool. I then use equal amounts of the syrup and water to moisten cake layers.  You can add vanilla or juice or alcohol for flavoring if you like.  Keep the original syrup refrigerated for longer storage. 

thanks! Just so I understand, the syrup itself is equal parts sugar and water - then you use equal parts of that syrup and water (50% syrup, 50% water) to moisten the cakes?

Just a few tablespoons per layer I'm guessing?

Yes, exactly :)

When you make the syrup for using in the cake, some of the water can be alcohol or vanilla extract. Be careful, too much alcohol can leave a "hot" taste instead of the pleasant taste you want.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1