• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vancouver Restaurant Websites

coinoisseur

One of my diversions for many years has been to volunteer as an editor with Open Directory Project (dmoz.org) in a number of categories of interest, among which is the Restaurants and Bars of Vancouver. In the last couple of years I have more than tripled the number of listings to 276, making it the largest listing of any city in the directory. For comparison:

New York - 261 (Manhattan 176 + Brooklyn 54 + Queens 15 + Bronx 4 + Staten Island 12);

Chicago - 253;

Montreal - 204 (82 in English + 122 en français);

London - 201

Paris - 168 (19 in English + 149 en français);

San Francisco - 159;

Toronto - 158;

Los Angeles - 69;

Victoria - 61.

I have lurked on eGullet from time to time over the last year or so, as one of my resources in finding restaurant urls to add to the directory, but I fear I am now running dry. I know that there are many fine dining establishments in Vancouver that don't have websites, and some, like HSG whose links lead only to a review page on another site. There are some under development, like NU, Soupspoons and Jolly's Indian Bistro that I have on my watchlist, but I also suspect that there are many restaurant websites whose urls I have yet to discover. If you are aware of any, please let me know.

For guidance, I edit sites located in the City of Vancouver, not Burnaby, Richmond, North or West Vancouver, Surrey, etc. Also, I have recently begun working on the listings in Victoria, adding 25 sites to the category (not Oak Bay, Esquimalt....).

Thanking you in advance, :biggrin:

I would suggest you find yourself a copy of the Eating & Drinking Guide, put out by Vancouver Magazine.

The 2006 edition should be out this fall, but even the 2005 edition would be most helpful for you for website info. The magazine lists Vancouver and its suburbs, Victoria, a good portion of Vancouver Island, Whistler and the Okanagan.

*** By the way, so glad you have come out of the darkness and admitted to being a lurker. Do you feel like a great weight is off your shoulders? ***

Send a message to Sam Salmon.

If I recall, he has the largest set of restaurant links I have seen. I think he had to rebuild them last year and sent out a similar message.

Here is a link to the thread you are referring to.... I think that "Stovetop" (aka Steve) has the most extensive list we've seen here. In a somewhat ironic twist, "Vancouver" (aka M...-D....) references the dmoz website as a place to check for links! :laugh:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I knew it started with a "S" and it was not Sarah !

Thanks for setting it straight.

Oh the mighty powers of "the search" :smile:

Edited by appreciator (log)

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

In a somewhat ironic twist, "Vancouver" (aka M...-D....) references the dmoz website as a place to check for links!  :laugh:

Good to know that someone appreciates our work :biggrin:
Contact by pMING sbonner from ABV

Thank you, Ralph.

The "powers that be" at dmoz have just granted me permissions to edit the Restaurants and Bars categories in Burnaby, Coquitlam, Langley, Maple Ridge, Richmond, Surrey, West Vancouver and Regional Districts/Greater Vancouver. :unsure: Now I really need your help and input; these are not my normal chomping grounds.