• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoboken Mexican

Daniel

Hoping to find a great Mexican place in Hoboken.. I havent really found one in Manhattan.. Was just wondering if there was a place worth comming over for this Saturday afternoon for some tequila and a great lunch.. Finding the tequila part is not my first worry..

Well, I'd say the best bet for Mexican would be Charritos, which is between 1st and 2nd on Washington St. Oaxacan dishes, primarily -- a very good mole, and some excellent guac made tableside. No liquor license, though, so BYOTequila. They're opening, or at least trying to open, a second location uptown, between 10th and 11th on Washington, but work there seemed to stall for a good few months.

Not Mexican, per se, but more South American, and worth a visit or 10 is Cucharamama, at 3rd and Clinton. Same owners as pan-Latin joint Zafra, but a bit more upscale, and they do serve alcohol. Great, well-priced wine list, including plenty by the glass, and they do amazingly good stuff with cocktails and spirits of the Latino world (emphasis on rum and pisco). Food skews to Peruvian, but it's pretty rangy in terms of influences, and the small plates are phenomenal (as are the entrees, but the small plates really shine).

Christopher

I would definitely try Charrittos, I was recently there a few weeks ago for the first time and it really was a great place, I got the Oaxacan Enchiladas and Tableside Guacamole. In regards to the no liquor license, there is a liquor store across the street, so you can pick up what you want to and they will mix certain drinks for you I believe. Another place worth trying is East LA - more of a bar atmosphere with a Mexican Influence, I have only been there for Margaritas and nachos, but they were quite good....so depending on what you are in the mood for there are a few options...enjoy and let us know where you go!

Well, I'd say the best bet for Mexican would be Charritos, which is between 1st and 2nd on Washington St.  Oaxacan dishes, primarily -- a very good mole, and some excellent guac made tableside.  No liquor license, though, so BYOTequila.  They're opening, or at least trying to open, a second location uptown, between 10th and 11th on Washington, but work there seemed to stall for a good few months.

Not Mexican, per se, but more South American, and worth a visit or 10 is Cucharamama, at 3rd and Clinton.  Same owners as pan-Latin joint Zafra, but a bit more upscale, and they do serve alcohol.  Great, well-priced wine list, including plenty by the glass, and they do amazingly good stuff with cocktails and spirits of the Latino world (emphasis on rum and pisco).  Food skews to Peruvian, but it's pretty rangy in terms of influences, and the small plates are phenomenal (as are the entrees, but the small plates really shine).

Christopher

I'll chime in...it's not Mexican, but Cuban. La Isla, on Washington between 1st and 2nd. Terrific food in a tiny, tiny place, but worth the wait! No liquor license.

Edit: Should have checked first...here's the La Isla website!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."