• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lorena's

Rosie

Humberto Campos Jr. is the new chef/owner of Jocelyne’s, 168 Maplewood Ave, Maplewood (973-763-4460). The restaurant’s name will change to Lorena’s on October 1. BYO.

I am not sure of the time frame but somewhere between 8 to 10 years ago Lowell and I were having dinner at LouCa’s in Edison and our waiter was so outstanding and knowledgeable that I gave him my card and told him if he ever opened a restaurant to call me. It turns out that I gave my card to Chef Campos Jr.

We had a delightful dinner at Lorena's recently that started off with deeply satisfying summer squash soup with chives and toasted pumpkin seed oil; an heirloom tomato salad with extra virgin olive oil, sea salt, and micro basil; and a yellowfin tuna tartare with fresh herbs, white truffle oil and fleur de sel. Entrees were sauteed soft shell crabs stuffed with shrimp served over Israeli couscous with an apple, caper and curry brown-butter sauce; and roasted pork tenderloin stuffed with apricot confit, served with haricot vert and a veal stock reduction. Dessert was a luscious napoleon of fresh fruits and almond hazelnut tuile and chantilly. If you loved Jocelyne’s you certainly will love Lorena’s. Phone: (973-763-4460).

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Humberto Campos Jr. is the new chef/owner of Jocelyne’s...If you loved Jocelyne’s you certainly will love Lorena’s. Phone: (973-763-4460).

I loved Lana's in Clark (Chef Campos' last gig) so I am not surprised to hear that you love Lorena's!

Rosie, did you ever make it to Lana's when he was there?

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Humberto Campos Jr. is the new chef/owner of Jocelyne’s...If you loved Jocelyne’s you certainly will love Lorena’s. Phone: (973-763-4460).

I loved Lana's in Clark (Chef Campos' last gig) so I am not surprised to hear that you love Lorena's!

Rosie, did you ever make it to Lana's when he was there?

No.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Have you been to Lorena’s yet? If not put it on your “must try” list as this charming, romantic restaurant under the direction of chef/owner Humberto Campos Jr. and his fiancé Lorena is worth a visit. Lorena’s received 3 stars in the February issue of New Jersey Monthly and four stars from the Star Ledger.

We started off our dinner with baby watercress salad with warm duck confit, fig jam, Roquefort cheese and a roasted shallot vinaigrette; ethereal fava bean ravioli with lobster, chervil and a parmigiana-truffle cream; and chilled Maine crabmeat with zucchini ribbons, fresh herbs, tomato confit and saffron sauce. Everything was very tasty and beautifully presented and I would have no problem having the ravioli as an appetizer and an entrée next time. It was fabulous.

A carrot-ginger emulsion added depth to the perfectly cooked day boat scallops that were accompanied with butternut squash, asparagus, and chanterelle mushrooms. The spiced Long Island duck breast served medium rare was perfectly paired with a currant sauce and the pheasant breast was stuffed with mushrooms and surrounded with a black truffle game jus.

Of course we had dessert! The warm soft chocolate cake and vanilla bean ice cream was chocolate so what could be bad and the crepes filled with caramel were sweet but a pleasant oozing sweetness.

Phone: 973-763-4460. BYO.

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a little disappointed. I've been trying to call to make reservations and I kept getting a machine. I should have assumed that the place was closed- but it was a Friday. So I thought they were having phone problems. I decided to just drive there to only discover that they are closed for renovations.

You would think that they would leave a message for their guests on the answering machine.

I hear great things about the Chef and I'm sure I be back to try it but what an inconvenience. :sad: