• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

La Favorite Cuvee Speciale de la Flibuste

dale

Many years ago (1977) on a trip to Martinique I purchashed a couple of bottles of 33 year old (then!) 45 percent

rum with a scripted lable "Rhum agricole La Favorite Cuvee Special de la Flibuste".  I still have them today (I suppose I am still waiting for the right occasion).  I came upon this site today and am curious if anyone can tell me the history, rarity (if any), and qualities of this rhum.

• 2 weeks later...

Dale... I hope your still watching this forum for an answer to your question.

As Ed is off sailing and researching rums, on his return I hope he will pick up

and answer your enquiry for you. In the meantime I would like to add some

comments. If you scroll down to J.BALLY RUMS:Martinique Rhum Agricole.

(posted by Jason Perlow 01st March).and -Clement: 15yr old , is it realy rare now?

(posted by Jason Perlow 27feb). both of these touch the topic of Martinique Rhums.

Both Clement and Saint-Etienne distilleries, with great history, are within a few mile

of La Favorite Distillery.

What I know about La Favorite I have learned from Ed's Book-"Rums of the

Eastern Caribbean". Also from other readings and studying of a good quality map

to find this distillery is just on the outside of Fort de France (North East side).

His book shows that they are still producing this fine old rhum,with the same scripted

lable. But he did not buy a bottle - at 300ffr (+-$40.00us.) as it is one of the most

expensive in the islands. Remember the prices localy are approx 50% less than

state side. Also that 33 years is a very long ageing time in the tropics as evaporation

is its greatest enemy,and after this amount of time there is not much left to bottle.

I dont know how you could have waited 25 years to think about opening a 33year

old bottle, But you still only have a 33year old rhum but a very good one at that.

This is exactly the sort of rum that does not get exported and is not available in

large quantities. Its the type of rum that you have to research then go to the source

to find. Some are very good estate family rums or even a resort private lable, both

only available at the source. Similar to going to a wineyard and asking whats

available from below the counter.

What is amazing is when this rhum would have been distilled, as it would have

been in 1944 or 1945. This could have been before the wwwII had ended or in

celebration of the end of the war. Unlike wines that should improve with age in the

bottle, spirits are only as good as when they were taken from the cask and bottled.

Therefore the celebration or the waiting for the next special occasion has no great

importance. I think its time that you liberated one of your bottles and let it have

its freedom by opening & tasting it.

Then may be letting the forum know your reaction to the experience.

Do you have any other rhums from your 1977 Martinique trip and did you get to visit

any of the distilleries. I would be interested in knowing.

I hope Ed will fill you in with more interesting information when he returns.

John Reekie.

John... I have been away (Maui with Grandchildren..hard to imagine..time flies!!)

Thank you for your reply. After purchasing this rhum my fickle heart turned to French Burgundy to which I have been addicted ever since. Each year or two I would see the distinctive bottles in the back of my storage and think " I need a special occasion to drink this" and so the years pass!

Anyway, in those days my friends and I had been drinking Hudson Bay and Lemon Heart 30 year old (in a triangular bottle) and I thought that this bottle was quite interesting. At the time I remember thinking that it must have been bottled in 1943 during the war. I note that the lable now shown is 40% rather than the 45% on my older bottles.

I will look forward to any furthur information about this rhum and then will open it and see what bottle holds.

Thanks again for your reply and information.

Best regards,

Dale

• 2 weeks later...

You have a rare rhum that I have been able to buy on several occasions since my first book was printed. In fact I had a bottle of this rhum on board when I lost my boat but saved the rhum.

Surprisingly this rhum has a somewhat pepper flavor and a lot of burnt oak as one would expect from a rhum of this age.

Certainly one to sip on special occasions but once you open the bottle don't plan on keeping it another 20 years as it will degrade as oxygen is allowed to enter the bottle.

Cheers,

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.