• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Steingarten on Peaches

Beachfan

This months Vogue has a very interesting article on peaches.  How the sugar and acid interrelate to form the best peaches. Also the results of a 3 year taste experiment on the best peaches in the US.

California won, and a few growers who ship are named.

PS The supermarket peaches in California are usually poor but the farmers market's have some excellent ones.

beachfan

I had the best peaches of a lifetime in the farmers market in San Francisco a couple of years ago.

They had them in different stages of ripeness.  Beachfan, there is not much else in my fruit experiences that has come so close to being heavenly.

They were amazing.

I was actually preserving some Peach Jam the early morning of 9/11.  I went to bed past 4:00 AM after finishing the preserving and woke up with the noise.  We live relatively close to Ground Zero.  

I have always enjoyed peachers.  They have now even another association.

Where do you get your favorite peaches?

PS:  Edited preserving, since I had written pickling by error.

I haven't yet read Steingarten's latest Vogue article, since a US friend photocopies them and mails them to me, thus saving us the expense and the disgrace of Vogue accidentally appearing on our coffee table.  :raz: However, balance of sweetness and acidity has always been the secret of Germany's finest wines. It's what can be accomplished between these two sensations that leads Jancis Robinson to declare Riesling her favorite wine grape.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Top Google/MSN hit for Paris Bistros

Suvir, thanks for the offer, but I don't have fax facilities. My technology made a quantum leap straight to broadband.  :biggrin: I tried to find Steingarten on the Vogue website, but it appears they're smart enough to know that if they made him available on the net they might lose half their subscribers.  :raz:

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Where do you get your favorite peaches?

We get them at the Thousand Oaks farmers market (our hometown in So Cal).

I'm going to try getting some of Steingarten's recommendations shipped later in the summer.

beachfan

They wouldn't lose half their subscribers, Steingarten would lose the opportunity to leverage his content by repackaging the essays into a book.  It's an old school, not new media thing.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

"since a US friend photocopies them and mails them to me, thus saving us the expense and the disgrace of Vogue accidentally appearing on our coffee table."

John Whiting - And I always pictured you as a guy who only wore Prada.

Beachfan - Chino's Market outside of San Diego.

Steingarten would lose the opportunity to leverage his content by repackaging the essays into a book.
I imagine that Steingarten's fans (include me -- the guy can write) would shell out to have him between covers even if his essays were handed out free on the NY subways.

John Whiting, London

Whitings Writings

Back to peaches.  The best peach I ever had was in Italy, cut over a dish of vanilla ice cream that made me feel as if I had never eaten either a peach or vanilla ice cream before.  Neither the fruit nor the ice cream has ever been surpassed., although the white peaches that started appearing at the Greenmarket a couple of years ago, at their best,  approach Italian peaches in taste, if not texture.

Chinos Farm it is.

Wow.. Sandra... what part of Italy were you in?

At Ino's in the village, they make an open faced sandwich that has slices of peaches on top of the bread.  Honey drizzled over them, freshly ground black pepper and mascarpone are then garnished and then the sandwich is toasted.  Heavenly!

It was a very long time ago, in Florence at very simple restaurant.  The experience was a vivid demonstration to me of the importance of the quality of ingredients.  Nothing had to be done to that peach, and in fact, and anything done to it would more likely have diminished rather than enhanced it.  I feel that way only about certain foods -- Maine lobster and blue crabs spring to mind.  These are not foods that one eats raw (maybe lobster, as sushi) but any preparation should be as simple as possible.  There just is no way of making them better than they are. :wink:

We buy our peaches at Thriftway's annual Peach-o-rama, here in Seattle.  These peaches have really made me appreciate seasonal eating.  They are heavenly. Matthew wrote about the peachiest of peaches on the grubshack.  Millions of Peaches

If you want to know what it's like to be a peach farmer, the book Epitaph for a Peach takes you so close you can feel the fuzz.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Texas Hill Country has fabulous peaches.  Some of the best I've ever tasted.  But they're not well-known outside of the local area.  For one thing, they are all gobbled up like candy right here.  And, there's a rather limited crop and they don't ship well.  Too much sugar.  They just rot before they get very far away.  (Like some other Texans I've known, I might add.)  :biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Texas Hill Country has fabulous peaches.  Some of the best I've ever tasted.  

Jaymes, you are soo right.  My inlaws had a place in The Texas Hill Country with fantastic peaches.  I think it's the cool winters or cool evenings or something.

The Country

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches

I'm movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat me a lot of peaches

I'm movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches

Movin' to the country, I'm gonna eat a lot of peaches

Peaches come from a can, they were put there by a man

In a factory downtown

If I had my little way, I'd eat peaches everyday

Sun soakin bulges in the shade

I'm movin to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches

Movin' to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches

I took a little nap where the roots all twist

Squished a rotten peach in my fist

And dreamed about you woman

I poked my finger down inside, makin' a little room for a ant to hide

Nature's candy in my hand or can or a pie

Millions of peaches, peaches for me

Millions of peaches, peaches for free

Millions of peaches, peaches for me

Millions of peaches, peaches for free

Look Out!

-The Presidents of the United States

I'm surprised Mamster has not hit this thread.  Go do a Google of "Millions of peaches"

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak