• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurant Openings

Vinfidel

There are some new restos that are supposed to be opened/opening:

1. Joe Beef - from the Globe group

2. Daylight - from the BU group

Any infos on them?

Lesley wrote about Joe Beef a couple of weeks ago, so I'm presuming that it's just opened. When I read her blurb, I couldn't help but think that McMillan's channeling John Burton Race but I am interested in someone's (anyone's) preliminary impressions of this new kid on the block.

Lesley wrote about Joe Beef a couple of weeks ago, so I'm presuming that it's just opened. When I read her blurb, I couldn't help but think that McMillan's channeling John Burton Race but I am interested in someone's (anyone's) preliminary impressions of this new kid on the block.

Don't you mean Fergus Henderson? I herd this was going to be a meat-freak joint with a butcher on site.

FYI from Bu:

"Daylight Factory

Daylight Factory est le nom du type architectural de la toute première tour comptant dix étages à Montréal. Érigé au début du vingtième siècle ce building devient cent ans plus tard le point de chute de BU dans le nouveau-vieux Montréal.

Attention le DAYLIGHT FACTORY n’est pas une copie de BU, il possède sa propre identité, c’est un bar/café italien comme on en trouve à Venise ou à Milan, un lieu où l’on petit-dèj d’excellentes viennoiseries et de café irréprochables, où on lunch également tout en fraîcheur, où l’on s’affaire en début de soirée pour l’aperitivo italiano et où on se laisse ensuite transporter dans la nuit sur des musiques éclectiques.

DAYLIGHT FACTORY verrouille ses portes ce n’est que pour se refaire une beauté au petite heures du matin, il ne dort pas !

OUVERTURE -

MERCREDI 21 SEPTEMBRE 2005

1030 St-Alexandre, Montréal, QC

871-4774

Nos heures d’ouverture sont :

- Lundi et mardi : de 7h30 à 17h00

- Mercredi, jeudi et vendredi : de 7h30 à 3h00

- Samedi : de 21h00 à 3h00

- Dimanche : fermé"

Also Regular BU is now open every night:

"BU ouvert tous les soirs !

Désormais Maria et Alba cuisineront pour vous tous les soir y compris les dimanches.

Pour profiter d’un peu de temps libre elles prennent les midis de congé.

Nos nouvelles heures d’ouverture sont :

Chaque soir de 17h00 à 1h00 du matin."

So what about the Joe Beef restaurant? Is it on the site of Charles McKiernan's tavern? Is it a temple of carnivorousness? Do they serve offal? Will a portion of the profits go to charity? Could someone please satisfy an out-of-towner's curiosity?

So what about the Joe Beef restaurant? ... Could someone please satisfy an out-of-towner's curiosity?

from what i've heard, the Joe Beef place is to be located in Pointe St-Charles, which is where the Joe Beef Park is located.

here is Joe Beef park...

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

Amazing how quick those in the know have been to reply to several well-meaning requests for information. Thanks, folks!

Did my regular circuit out to Lachine and back this evening. Just before I left, someone on, ahem, Chowhound posted enough information on Joe Beef for me to be able to situate it. Since it's near the Lachine Canal bike path, I detoured to take a gander and found this card (a visual pun on the nabe's name, Little Burgundy), along with some gourds, in a bucket attached to the wall near the front door.

gallery_8756_1791_5870.jpg

Specifically, the resto is on the north side of Notre Dame between Charlevoix and Vinet, directly across from the Corona theatre. It looks to be a small space with the menu written on big blackboards that dominate the room. Sweaty, clad in biking shorts and getting looks from some of the beautiful people (the place was full at 10 p.m.), I didn't hang around long enough to take notes.

The helpful Chowhounder says the joint is open three days a week, including Friday. Seems strange that Monday would be one of the other two, especially if, as the card implies, they specialize in fish and shellfish.

After punching out for the evening, I received this PM from another member.

I was at Joe Beef tonight, and can tell you for a fact that it's open Mon-Sat dinner, and eventually Mon-Fri lunch (maybe in a couple weeks). Closed sundays.

I can also tell you, it's wonderful. :-)

Here's hoping my correspondent chimes in with details about the menu and experience.

Since it seems that Daylight Factory just opened a few hours ago... ("OUVERTURE -

MERCREDI 21 SEPTEMBRE 2005"), I am very curious to hear comments by anyone who may have been at the opening or has plans to visit in the next few days.

I've heard much about it and I will be visiting Mtl very soon...and though I used to live in the Belle Provence, my fiance has never been (incroyable, I know!). ;-) So I'm scoping out your helpful forum for all kinds of goodies -- there are some hot leads on here these days!

Looking forward to input on Daylight Factory...

Merci,

cava_girl

P.S. Is Kaizen Treehouse still around -- and still recommended?

I went to Daylight just for a beer and wish good luck to Patrick!

The place is nice but I passed really fast.

Treehouse is closed on Ste-Catherine but there is the new one on St-Laurent (between Prince Arthur and Sherbrooke), where Soto used to be. It's still one of my favorite, Juni is good too (on Laurier).

The guys of Bu made it once again, the place is amazing, the setup and the targetting is a real success, loved the place, I thought i was in Napoli with half of the people on the sidewalk, lots of place, great bar, an all day long pleasure!

I was at Joe Beef the first night (Mon, 9/19) and had to go back two nights later. It was that good.

Just go. The place is fantastic.

Big up to Dave and Fred. My pinnacle restaurant experience of the year so far ...

In fact, Joe Beef deserves a thread ...

Edited by Sensorial (log)

The daylight factory is... not new or it has been renovated. But I remember very well going to a new spot that had (maybe) the same name... arrrgghh I'm trying to remember. It was a very smart place with excellent food but it opened in an area that was basically circled by huge quartier international renovations and might have suffered from that (might have been around 3 years ago). Definitely a challenging yet inetersting spot to be, off downtown, in the CDP area but hidden, could have an amazing terrasse in the back... Can't wait to check it out again.

same spot, same name different concept dofferent owners

i ate at a pre-opneing dinner and was not impressed but will give it another shot. i also find the location bad i hope they do well. maybe because of all the condos and spillover from the w they will do well

• 2 months later...

New Thierry Baron hot spot on Duluth est (does that put him at Colombe ?). I think it is called Vertige. Anyone who ate Baron's cooking at jongleux knows this guy can deliver.

There is a review in LaPresse today, raving Beauchemin. I'm pretty excited about this one.