• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Del Posto

Jason Perlow

they should just prorate the cost over all diners.  probably wouldn't add much to you non-drivers' bills.  i'm all for that!  free parking for tommy!  woo-hoo!

I agree Tommy. It should be just another entry under the cost of doing business.

oh it wouldn't cost the restaurant anything. trust me.

I agree Marc, there are very few Manhattan restaurants that have valet parking. A number offer discounts at various parking garages. But no one (that I have ever seen) who does have a valet service (and most who do are in lower Manhattan) charges anything.

Out of curiosity, can you recall any examples of restaurants that offer this service in Manhattan?

As an aside, if the $29 was common or acceptable, then why have the majority of critics mentioned it in their review?

My guess? Because it seems very expensive on its face before other Manhttan valet or regular parking prices are taken into consideration, most critics are highly focused on the high prices at Del Posto and they're following the pack like lemmings (just like almost all the early ADNY reviews tended to make much of the "pen selection" bit).

Testing my memory? Okay let's see if I can remember - Odeon, Cellars in the Sky comped parking in the WTC garage, Parioli Romanissimo, and I believe the original Bouley, though I'm not 100% sure of that one. I have seen a sign in fron of other places in lower Manhattan, but I don't recall the restaurants.

However, since the city became safer in the early 90's, most of the time I just park on the street and walk a block or two. I would do that if I went to Del Posto.

What other valet prices? I don't know of any other restaurant that's in the parking business. The critics are focused on the high prices because they are high. It seems it's a good thing to criticize, especially when someone spends $12 million on a marble-floored restaurant. If they can spend that, they can offer valet parking as a service - greed breeds contempt and I don't need to say what contempt breeds.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

But Bern's charges $4 in an area of Tampa that has no street parking at all, people must come by car (a few cab it) and they have built their own lots. I don't think the cost of living NYC is 7.25 times more then it is in Tampa.

Although Manhattan's overall cost of living is certanly not 7.25 X Tampa, the cost of land just might be. My one-bedroom apartment rent is much more than the mortgage on the four-bedroom, 3-car-garage ranch home that I formerly owned in Tampa.

I tend to think that, with Del Posto's prices already being quite high enough, the cost of parking ought to be borne only by those who need the service. I have yet to see any evidence that Del Posto's valet parking is objectively expensive by Manhattan standards. What's unusual is that they have the service at all.

Edited by oakapple (log)

However, since the city became safer in the early 90's, most of the time I just park on the street and walk a block or two. I would do that if I went to Del Posto.

i wouldn't. i'd have them park my car for 29 dollars. perhaps you should be *thanking* them that they're not sharing the cost with you? i mean, it's either:

1) they provide the service, presumably at somewhere around cost (although that doesn't matter to me, as i see 29 bucks worth of value), and i pay for it

2) they provide the service for "free", but make you and everyone else pay for it by passing along the cost to all customers.

3) they don't provide the service at all, and i'm left on my own.

4) they eat 100% of the parking cost

- i don't expect a restaurant to pay for my parking (not that i'd know if they're passing the cost along anyway, but), so 4 is right out.

- i'd prefer 2, but i know that's unreasonable. i don't want you paying for my parking any more than i want you paying for my supplement of foie gras, kobe, or truffles.

- so, i'll take 1.

- you seem to like 3, but then again, 3 is already being offered.

so there ya have it: we're both happy.

Edited by tommy (log)

Okay guys (everyone),

Most everyone is saying $29 represents a fair value and Del Posto's cost - I agree if about fair value if I was garage parking.

How does it cost Del Posto $29 for a guy or two to stand outside, double park my car around the corner and get it for me when I leave? Especially when that person is being paid by someone else as is the insurance.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I haven't looked for valet parking in NYC for some time, but I had a job when I was in HS as a valet for The Olde Homestead, ironically just down the block and around the corner from Del Posto. There was no charge. Of course that was a few years ago :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Okay guys (everyone),

Most everyone is saying $29 represents a fair value and Del Posto's cost - I agree if about fair value if I was garage parking.

How does it cost Del Posto $29 for a guy or two to stand outside, double park my car around the corner and get it for me when I leave? Especially when that person is being paid by someone else as is the insurance.

oops...I thought everyone already knew this...um, there is one very pertinent fact here that you're all missing.

My understanding is that Del Posto isn't parking your car around the corner. They have an arrangement with a local garage or lot. Part (probably most) of your valet fee goes for that parking spot. Del Posto is not in the parking business per se...but they're giving you access to one.

That's why the point that $29 is easily standard for 4 hours of parking in the city is relevant. Cause that's exactly what you're paying for...simply mediated through Del Posto.

I should add, that as a non-driving diner...I would rather see a restaurant charge their parking cost (with a slight markup) to the diners actually driving as opposed to spreading the cost out across the menu for the rest of us.

Okay guys (everyone),

oops...I thought everyone already knew this...um, there is one very pertinent fact here that you're all missing.

My understanding is that Del Posto isn't parking your car around the corner. They have an arrangement with a local garage or lot. Part (probably most) of your valet fee goes for that parking spot. Del Posto is not in the parking business per se...but they're giving you access to one.

That's why the point that $29 is easily standard for 4 hours of parking in the city is relevant. Cause that's exactly what you're paying for...simply mediated through Del Posto.

That's not the impression any written review has given. However if that's the case then I stand corrected. If your car is going into another company's lot or garage, then $29 is fair.

And yes, that should be a cost to the driver and not a restaurant charge.

Rich Schulhoff

Okay guys (everyone),

That's not the impression any written review has given. However if that's the case then I stand corrected. If your car is going into another company's lot or garage, then $29 is fair.

And yes, that should be a cost to the driver and not a restaurant charge.

for eff's sake, all of this time that you've been so offended and you thought they were parking my 80k ride on the corner of 11th ave and 15th street!!?!? well i'd sure hope the hell not!! then again, i'd never really know. :rolleyes:

for eff's sake, all of this time that you've been so offended and you thought they were parking my 80k ride on the corner of 11th ave and 15th street!!?!?  well i'd sure hope the hell not!!  then again, i'd never really know.  :rolleyes:

Actually, I thought they were "hangin" in the car and slurping down a few brews. :smile:

Rich Schulhoff

now that we've eased rich's mind regarding the parking, has anyone noticed how people are dressing at del posto? i'm hoping/assuming that it's similar to babbo.

edit: adamru sorted me out:

In retrospect we could have done as some diners had, and walked in with no reservations. I had read in New York's fall preview issue that the only dress code at Del Posto was going to be no tank tops and no sandals, and it was pretty clear watching those who did and did not have reservations, that anything goes. The women, all half the size and age of their dates, were in jeans, clingy and revealing tops, and rhinestones. The bar crowd revealed hoodies, tee shirts and cargo pants. You can either argue that this robbed the environment of its class or its stuffiness. Either way, it's what kept it at the level of luxe hotel lobby.
Edited by tommy (log)

Comparing the valet parking rates for hotels to that of a restaurant is a bit of apples vs. oranges. In most hotels, NYC included, the daily valet parking charge is for 24 hours - not just an evening - and it includes unlimited in and out privileges.

parking in manhattan in general is at least 20 dollars for anything over a few hours. it's almost always "valet" in the sense that someone takes your keys and parks your car. the parking lot around the corner from del posto charges $27. that might not include the 18% parking tax.

as someone who has driven into NYC literally over a thousand times over the past 6 years, i can safely say that 29 dollars represents a good value in this context.

If I wanted to get raped, I could get myself arrested and spend a night at Riker's, at least they use lubricants there.

And you know this how? From experience? :biggrin:

Twice!!

Rich Schulhoff

I am fascinated that the most interesting facet of Del Posto to be discussed ad nauseum by so many expert foodies is the price of the valet parking!

What does that say about a restaurant, that the parking is more remarkable than any other aspect, including the food?

What does that say about a restaurant, that the parking is more remarkable than any other aspect, including the food?

As the cliche states, "...you reap what you sow..."

But seriously, if Del Posto can't make it as a restaurant, it certainly has the makings for the first four-star garage in NYC. And with their valet experience, it's a cinch to get four stars on its first review. Who rates parking lots for the NY Times?

Rich Schulhoff

I am fascinated that the most interesting facet of Del Posto to be discussed ad nauseum by so many expert foodies is the price of the valet parking!

not to me. what it says to me is that most of the people involved in the discussion of the restaurant have not actually had a proper meal at the restaurant.

not to me.  what it says to me is that most of the people involved in the discussion of the restaurant have not actually had a proper meal at the restaurant.

I couldn't agre more. I am puzzled by the lack of comments regarding the food people have had there...

Arley Sasson

not to me.  what it says to me is that most of the people involved in the discussion of the restaurant have not actually had a proper meal at the restaurant.

I couldn't agre more. I am puzzled by the lack of comments regarding the food people have had there...

i've not done a strict analysis, but i do get the impression that the number of meals eaten there is relatively small compared to the number of posts on this thread. if memory serves, there're maybe 5 or 7 people altogether who have eaten there? but yes, people seem to tend to get excited over the spectacle of the place, rather than getting excited enough to actually go and discuss the experience. i don't think that says anything about the restaurant really, but rather, about people.

Edited by tommy (log)

I think the problem is that the idea of Del Posto as a ritzy impersonation of a "classy" restaurant is more interesting to most people than the fact of the food that is served there. Especially given the prices -- and, in that regard, especially given the existence of much-liked, less expensive options within the Batali/Bastianich group.