• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Del Posto

Jason Perlow

I tend to agree with SE. The comments from people who have dined there, both on eGullet and off, more often than not, go back to the glitz and atmosphere. Only the pasta dishes have received consistent praise and even then, there will be comments about its high price and that it's no better than Babbo or Lupa, so just eat at Babbo or Lupa for substantially less.

I've had two reservations and cancelled both based on comments from friends who I trust and are "Bataliphiles."

The impression and perception about Del Posto has mostly been negative when the discussion turns to ambiance and price. That, in combination with "nothing extraordinary about the food," has caused people think twice before dropping several hundred dollars just to be able to say I've been there and walked on the legendary marble floor. Plus, Del Posto has done nothing to help itself since the PR debacle of its four-star aspirations.

Rightly or wrongly, that's the perception out there. And in today's world, like it or not, perception is infinitely more important than reality.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

I tend to agree with SE. The comments from people who have dined there, both on eGullet and off, more often than not, go back to the glitz and atmosphere. Only the pasta dishes have received consistent praise and even then, there will be comments about its high price and that it's no better than Babbo or Lupa, so just eat at Babbo or Lupa for substantially less.

I've had two reservations and cancelled both based on comments from friends who I trust and are "Bataliphiles."

The impression and perception about Del Posto has mostly been negative when the discussion turns to ambiance and price. That, in combination with "nothing extraordinary about the food," has caused people think twice before dropping several hundred dollars just to be able to say I've been there and walked on the legendary marble floor. Plus, Del Posto has done nothing to help itself since the PR debacle of its four-star aspirations.

Rightly or wrongly, that's the perception out there. And in today's world, like it or not, perception is infinitely more important than reality.

I wonder how many people saw the Food Network special that followed Batali's opening of Del Posto, and at one point one of his main chef's asks him how they could possibly charge $19 for a dish served elsewhere for $9...and Batali's surprising (and brutally honest) answer.."It's Del Posto!"

Also, an interesting question -- being Batali, Morimoto, Emeril, et al are all very public figures, they convey a certain personality on their shows and appearances. How much of this affects your dining experience? For example, I've eaten at Emeril's Del Monicos in Vegas, and thought it nothing special, especially for the price. But I wonder if this "review" is tainted by the fact that I personally do not admire Emeril as a chef and find him pretty incompetent when it comes down to cooking skills displayed. And another bias goes for Batali...I waiver between "nice guy" and "really arrogant."

For what it's worth.

I haven't eaten there yet. But I'll quote a 3-starred (Michelin) chef pal--not inclined to like Batali--who DID eat there recently.

"It was a four star meal. No question." (Referring to NYT stars). I was frankly gobsmacked--considering the source.

Like I said. I haven't eaten there. And the idea of a Grand Luxe, ocean liner, grand hotel Italian joint from the Batali/Bastianich group struck me as kooky and audacious as well.

But before we talk about being butt-slammed at Rikers, maybe actually eating there WOULD be a good idea? Lest we slide quickly into SchramblingLand?

Pass the Astro Glide, papi.

abourdain

I've eaten there, but I've hesitated to post for various reasons -- I didn't take notes afterward because I didn't plan to write about it, I'm not a reviewer, the meal was six weeks ago, and I was with people who were recognized by Lidia and Joe.

However, for what it's worth: I sampled many things because I was dining with a group that makes a point of sharing; a couple of people had fish that was particularly good, and I was taken with the flavor of the sformato that Frank Bruni had mentioned in his review.

For my main course, I had the bolito misto. I had never had it before and wanted to experience it; one of my companions has spent a great deal of time in Italy and she ordered it as well and walked me through the process.

Based on her reactions and my own admittedly limited experience, it was very good -- the mustardo was a high point, with a balance of heat, sweet and the chewiness of the fruit, but of course, I have nothing to compare it to. A couple of the cuts seemed a little dry, especially the capon (which I would expect to be tough), but most of the other parts, particularly the tongue and the short rib, were excellent, and the variety of cuts and the production of the service from the cart were a great show.

The wine list was particularly interesting to one of my companions, who is an expert on wine, but I expected a good selection because of past experience with other Joe B. places. We stuck with one of his wines; the price/quality balance was excellent.

On the service, since we were known, I was watching the tables around us and I don't think anyone had less solicitous service. Lidia stopped and talked to us a couple of times, but she did the same at many tables. Part of the experience of the place is that sense of being welcomed and cared for and the emphasis on service. Having her in the dining room, especially at the open cooking area in the middle whisking that zabiglione, gave a personal touch that offset the size of the room, which could have seemed cold.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

But before we talk about being butt-slammed at Rikers

I think that's part of the Bolito Misto service.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

But before we talk about being butt-slammed at Rikers

I think that's part of the Bolito Misto service.

Gee, and I thought that stool next to me was for my purse.

Also, a belated correction: It should be bollito, of course. I apologize from the bottom of my former-copy editor heart.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

• 3 weeks later...

I ate at Del Posto last night for the first time. The reservation was at 10pm, and I was tired. It would have taken a great meal to wake me up. The meal I had put me to sleep.

I'll bypass issues of decor (lousy) to say upfront that I thought the service was not great. Indeed, service could be characterized last night at 10pm as sloppy. From the placement of my silverware to the taking of orders (the waiter had to ask twice about something we ordered and return to confirm something he had written down earlier), Del Posto failed in the service arena.

In any case, this wouldn't have mattered if the food had been decent. But it too was not up to the proper standard. Our meal began well enough. I very much enjoyed the carrot sformato with sweet baby shrimp. It was an excellent dish. I was happy enough with the salumi misti too. But having consummed these appetizers and turned to the six pastas that we had ordered in tasting portions, I gradually grew discouraged. The crab spaghetti was, as has been reported elsewhere, excellent, a spicy dish that was one of the best of its kind that I have ever tried. The nudi, which followed quickly, were also very good: soft, plump, even creamy. The raviolini with rabbit ragu and asparagus was, however, something that I'd rather forget. At moments my companion and I thought we could perceive Batali's purposes here, but that glimmer of insight quickly faded as the slummy reality of the dish took its hold. In fact, no sooner than my third bite, I found this dish nauseatingly bad and had to stop. Such is the fate of one who eats a difficult dish that is badly prepared. There was a nice recovery in the agnolotti in garlic brodo, which was a rich, earthy dish, full of Batali's gusto but tempered by a larger than normal seriousness. These qualities were also latent--if not fully realized--in the ravioli di bresola (sp?), which was good enough to satisfy. The last of our pastas was the burnt gnocchi with tripe. We had ordered it thinking that it would be a revelation, a plate that would give the Batalian sensibility its highest platform to blend rusticity and elegance in a nice counterpoint. Alas, the dish arrived limp and lifeless. A bold concept had been betrayed.

We were gratified by the famous apricot desert, which managed to avoid the danger of being too cloying, and so finished well enough. But my overall impression is that Del Posto already feels (and tastes) like a failed enterprise, given its spottily unprofessional service and inconsistent food. Perhaps it was the night--or the time--but I believe Batali is now in over his head.

Edited by ckkgourmet (log)

• 4 weeks later...

Notice how no one talks about Del Posto anymore, not just here, but anywhere in the media. Does anyone know if its still open?

Scary if it is.

Rich Schulhoff

Notice how no one talks about Del Posto anymore, not just here, but anywhere in the media. Does anyone know if its still open?

Scary if it is.

I put it up to the fact that summer has arrived in the big city. I haven't heard a peep about Gilt in two months either...and I think that's a restaurant far deserving of bigger buzz than Del Posto.

Scary if it is.

have you called to try to get a reservation? people still talk about del posto. of this you are assured.

Just did - tomorrow night 7:45pm party for four or more, couple of tables - just call if you want to go.

Rich Schulhoff

Pretty much a rave review in this past weekend's Wall Street Journal by Raymond Sokolov, in the context of a comparison to the new Le Cirque.

Notice how no one talks about Del Posto anymore, not just here, but anywhere in the media.

I have been trying to go to Del Posto for some time.. But the whole process of getting a reservation and having to deal with the snotty hostess giving you the arbitrary times of 6 or 9 is so annoying.. I am currently trying to make a reservation and have been on hold for 7 minutes. They must really not want my table of 6 because I dont find being treated like garbage a turn on.. You would expect a place that is shooting for four stars would have a bettter reservation process.. This is not a good way to start an experience..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I have been trying to go to Del Posto for some time.. But the whole process of getting a reservation and having to deal with the snotty hostess giving you the abitrary times of 6 or 9 is so annoying.. I am currently trying to make a reservation and have been on hold for 7 minutes.  They must really not want my table of 6 because I dont find being treated like garbage a turn on..  You would expect a place that is shooting for four stars would have a bettter reservation process.. This is not a good way to start an experience..

That's surprising. I called Thursday afternoon about 3:45pm, was on hold for about a minute or two. Asked for a reservation between 7-8 the following evening, the hostess said 7:45 and that was the end. I didn't make the reservation, I was just doing it at tommy's request.

The whole process took 2-3 minutes and the hostess was quite friendly - even suggested I call her back personally when I knew for sure. Gave me her name, a different phone number and extension.

Rich Schulhoff

I asked the hostess if there was a time that wasnt 6 or 9 for the next month for four people.. She said there was one reservation available on the 27th of July..

They are trying to guarantee a turn for every table without knowing whether they will get any unusually early or late reservations. As the date of the reservation comes closer, they have a better idea if they can afford to give tables at prime times without engandering other reservations (i.e. there are plenty of free tables, or there is a 5:30 or 11:00 reservation they can match with your request for 8:00). That's why rich was able to get a 7:45 friday res the previous day.

Annoying but rather standard practice. Ask to be put on a wait list.

Thanks for the advice.. Yup, you are right..I just called back to be put on the wait list.. I was told by the hostess they only give reservations to tables more then 4 at 6 or 9.. It seems strange that I need to be forced to eat at one of two times.. For someone with a busy life and out of town guests, I dont have the good fortune of being able to hope for a proper time the day of.. Which will force me to double book.. If it works out then fine, if not, it will be another cancelled attempted at Del Posto for me..

I'm eating there tomorrow for the first time...looking forward to seeing what it's all about

I will be looking forward to reading your impressions, Pete. I hope that the restaurant has ironed out its kinks.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

My impressions of Del Posto is that its an above average Italian Restaurant with an identity crisis.. I think it is trying so hard to be a four star place, when at its best it might be able to get to three.. Service was poor.. I think the only thing they got right was presenting the food in unison.. We had 14 people swarming around us, however drinks were slow, as was more butter, sides of lime, and more bread.. The room is hectic, loud, and poorly spaced.. (There was a line at the upstairs bathroom where I was directed to)..The presentation of the food was disappointing as well.. Simple white plates, with a simple almost haphazzard presentation.. Desserts were average at best.

I started with the funghi misti w/ guanciali... It was well done.. Not bursting with flavor or memorable.. It was a nice collection of mushrooms on a plate. I enjoyed it, wish there was more guanciali.

gallery_15057_2971_4614.jpg

I tried most of the other antipasti.. My cousin had the sweetbreads.. They seemed tough and over cooked.. My girl had the Roman Bean Salad.. The beans were the best part.. They were charred and had a great smokey flavor.. The fried egg was less then impressive.. Almost done poorly. Again, white plate, nothing special with the presentation..

gallery_15057_2971_71754.jpg

Next was the primi.. This was the most dissappointing.. When I think Mario, I think of his amazing pasta. And although mine was amazing, I didnt love everyones.. I got the Spaghettini with Crab.. This was just beautiful, this level of cooking was what I expected every dish to be like.. It was in a rich beautiful crab stock. The pasta was chewy and al dente..

This was a half portion.. But it came to the table looking exactly like this..

gallery_15057_2971_28395.jpg

For secondi I ordered the duck breast.. I dont think I have ever had a duck breast I didnt like.. This was no exception.. It was done really well, had a great crust, almost like a hard candy shell.. It tasted a lot better then it looks..

gallery_15057_2971_92869.jpg

My girl had the calves liver.. We thought it was under cooked.. There were smoked tomatoes with it that were over smoked.. The dish had a bitter taste to it.. This coming from a guy who loves parsley salad and all things bitter.. It was too much for me.. I would not eat this again..

gallery_15057_2971_129278.jpg

Here is half of the 90 dollar seafood plate..Razor clam, shrimp, langoustine, scallop, a half of lobster.. Certainly pretty, nothing stellar about it..

gallery_15057_2971_19977.jpg

Desserts were unmemorable and continued to be unattractive.. It was nice they made me a marzapan little note..

gallery_15057_2971_15722.jpg

Overall the place was a good.. It wasnt anything earth shattering.. It was good. They should get rid of half there waitstaff, loosen up a bit, and it would be a fun place to go occasionaly.. It is my least favorite MB place, however still good. Not even considering price, I like the food better at any of his other restaurants..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Overall the place was a good.. It wasnt anything earth shattering.. It was good.  They should get rid of half there waitstaff, loosen up a bit, and it would be a fun place to go occasionaly.. It is my least favorite MB place, however still good. Not even considering price, I like the food better at any of his other restaurants..

Wow.

It's funny, Daniel, I was out with my cousin and his girlfriend last night, both of whom, like me, are huge Italian food fans. She asked me if I'd been to Del Posto yet, and I said no. I DID mention that you were going for your birthday, and that I was eager to hear your review.

Based on it, I won't be spending my moolah there any time soon...sounds like I'm better off sticking with Babbo and Lupa.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped in here last night for drinks and had some impressions:

1. In terms of decor and general aesthetics they have sunk a lot of money into this place, a lot. Right down to the metal cocktail straws, the menus, etc...

2. This is a beverage destination, or should be, without question. The wine list is superb, with excellent choices by the glass or tasting (no quartinos), including very well-priced flights. The liquor selection is superb, combined with some interesting ales from Piedmont. The bartenders are knowledgeable and proficient. I had an excellent Negroni, made with Carpano Antica; this was a revelation, herbal and complex, one could scarcely believe Antica is a vermouth -- making Punt es Mes (by the same producer) seem cheap and sour.

3. The menus (dining room and lounge) are immense, one wonders if the sheer number of choices overwhelms the kitchen. Nevertheless, I was impressed with the fact that one could easily eat for $50 or $200 in the main dining room (or any point in between)....

4. The lounge menu looked like a superb deal, $10 apps, $12 pastas, $18 entrees and a $41 lounge tasting menu which can be combined with a $19 wine pairing.

5. Based on all the foregoing, unless something is seriously wrong with the food (any of which I have yet to try), I wonder if this place isn't a victim of the expectations raised by those behind it. In other words, if an unknown opened a restaurant of this nature, with this kind of menu (and sheer multiplicity of options, in terms of food and price), I think people might treat it very differently.

Edited by Nathan (log)

I personally think it's more a matter of expectations raised by the pre-opening publicity and the room itself. Speaking for myself, I think with that kind of room (and that style of service), the food has to be better than not having anything "seriously wrong" with it.

"Based on all the foregoing, unless something is seriously wrong with the food (any of which I have yet to try), I wonder if this place isn't a victim of the expectations raised by those behind it. In other words, if an unknown opened a restaurant of this nature, with this kind of menu (and sheer multiplicity of options, in terms of food and price), I think people might treat it very differently."

I said about the place from my experience, its an above average Italian food that is highly over priced.. I called it above average because I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.. However, my girlfriend did not like one of her dishes at all.. It was poorly made.. My cousin's liver was overcooked..

Also, my parents who wouldnt know Mario B if he was our waiter were less impressed then I was.. They have been to Babbo a bunch of times, but arent concerned or know who was the chef.. They do know good food however.. My father described the service as less then acceptable.. And both parents felt there food was average.

But again, you could be right, I just wanted to tell you where I was coming from..

Edited by Daniel (log)